PDA

View Full Version : The problem is more with each new version?!

arazaxirelcinellersadolur
November 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
hi,
i am a ubuntu user since 5.04 times and recently i noticed that the people have more problems with each new version of lovely ubuntu and i ask myself full seriousness: is this really appropriate for 'humanity for others' or no?

nothingspecial
November 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Not a support request. Moved to Recurring Discussions.

mörgæs
November 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
There are much more users in general using Buntu. In the forum we don't get to see the ones who don't have problems.

tartalo
November 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
In the forum we don't get to see the ones who don't have problems.

Like the OP I was silent for years, in my case because there was nothing to discuss, Ubuntu worked, full point.

I'm seeing many "dormant" profiles writing lately, but I don't know if this is happening now more than before, is it?

If the dead a raising, there might be something going on.

sffvba[e0rt
November 17th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that every year more and more software gets created (not to mention more and more complexity) as well as more and more hardware so the possibilities for bugs and issues has also become more (and more :p).

Docaltmed
November 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
This is why anecdote =/= data.

My experience has been the reverse. My installation of 8.04 was just one long argument, though once I got things working it was the best user experience I had ever had.

With each release, I have found fewer and fewer hiccups and more of the ever-elusive "things just work."

'Course, then I'll decide that I really must do something totally obscure and mess things up...

TBABill
November 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
What I've been seeing among forum posts are more unique questions and problems with this release, which suggests a lot of the hardware/OS problems may be improving. Particularly with wireless and sound I have seen fewer, although there are still a good number of them. Usually each release brings out one after another of them, but this time seems different. So many are Unity/Shell related and a lot of discussion about good/bad DE.

It does seem like a lot of discussion going on lately and I have noticed a little more emotion in the posts than normal, but that's probably to be expected with such radical changes in the last couple releases. A lot of the biggest ranters have already left for other distros so maybe that has helped calm the waters.

Interesting stuff!

beew
November 19th, 2011, 05:50 AM
It is understandable that new releases are buggy, but they should not be advertised as "stable" releases, rather just as "supported releases" until they fix the major bugs, otherwise it is just going to give Ubuntu a bad reputation when new users get the newest version and immediately get burnt.

Another thing I find really bad about Ubuntu's release system is that, if they leave some bug unfixed after a while and then when they finally come up with a fix it goes straight to the next release whereas the people who are using the current one are stuck. A case in point, the overlay scrollbar in Natty is not usable, it is pretty but when I tried to read a pdf file it jumped in discrete steps, there is no way for me to scroll the pages continuously. So I uninstalled it, but then it turned out that this has been fixed for quite some times, but the fixed version has not been backported to Natty, to get the improved version without "upgrading" to 11.10 thus risk being bitten by more bugs you have to get it from a ppa. Mind you, this is not even some unknown third party app, it is an integral part of the "Unity experience"!

Now Ubuntu is supposed to reorient itself to attract "the average user", well the average user probably doesn't know that the overlay scroll bar can be removed and that there is a ppa out there with a working version. So what does he do? To stick with Natty for 6 months and boot into Windows to read pdfs, then "upgrade" to oneiric and immediately finds that even more things are broken?? (the "average user" probably doesn't know about Okular and kde apps are not affected)

Keep up with this and good luck reaching 200 million users. The irony is more and more customization and tweaking tools are hidden now because they are supposed to confuse the "average user" but if your releases are so buggy that tweaking is the norm,--at least within the first 2-3 months of release,--I think you will at least have the good sense to keep the tools easily accessible.

3rdalbum
November 21st, 2011, 03:26 AM
It is understandable that new releases are buggy, but they should not be advertised as "stable" releases, rather just as "supported releases" until they fix the major bugs, otherwise it is just going to give Ubuntu a bad reputation when new users get the newest version and immediately get burnt.

How about YOU help test them BEFORE release? Your bug reports will be appreciated.

The new releases are stable as far as the Ubuntu developers know. They only know about problems if they've come across them themselves, or have had them reported.

Copper Bezel
November 21st, 2011, 03:41 AM
Yes, quite. It's hard to fault the testing folks on +1 if we're not doing it ourselves. I have a lot of respect for them, considering especially how up to this point, each upgrade has been a real and tangible improvement for me, including stability concerns. That hasn't been my experience with 11.10, but this is a unique case with unique circumstances.

Linuxratty
November 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
hi,
i am a ubuntu user since 5.04 times and recently i noticed that the people have more problems with each new version of lovely ubuntu and i ask myself full seriousness: is this really appropriate for 'humanity for others' or no?

Do they? I've not had problems with each new version,except Nividia/Compiz glitches and that's not Ubuntu's fault.