PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 11.04 vs 11.10

Denver Dave
November 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
ubuntu 11.04 *******
I've been running ubuntu 11.04 64 bit and 32 bit on my Acer Aspire windows 7 laptop and my compaq presario XP desktop for a couple of months from both the USB boot drive and the DVD.

The desktop boots into classic, but otherwise seems to run about the same.

Can read and write drives

Laptop picture quality on crystal eye webcam is not as good as good under ubuntu 11.04 as windows 7.

Laptop touchpad - vertical scroll is not recognized and the cursor jumps around much more than under windows 7.

But generally pretty satisfied, running FireFox, Thunderbird with Lightning and several other addons.

****** ubuntu 11.10

Windows XP Desktop - Compaq Presario
Could not get either the DVD 64 bit ubuntu 11.10 or the usb drive to run on my desk top at all. USB drive does not boot up and DVD starts, screen looks good before loading anything and then checkered boxes appear around left and top borders and does not load.

Laptop
Webcam may be a little better, will have to test in different light.
If boot from USB, can't write to NTFS drives, if boot from DVD can write to NTFS drives.

Not sure what to do because of the desktop. May wait for the next release and see what happens. My strategy is to have a USB Boot drive and a data drive that I can use on multiple PCs.

= = = = =
Any others in similar circumstances?

Disappointed that 11.10 does not work on Desktop when 11.04 worked well in classic mode. Have changed to 2D on laptop and will try again on Desktop with that and report back.