PDA

View Full Version : Programs Starting to be Removed:

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Just did most recent update in synaptic. It called to remove (which I allowed it) several programs including the "shutter" program with is a screenshot program -(can't figure that one out).

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Weird, I updated this morning, there was nothing in central repo (US) for me. And now all I got is a bunch of perl stuff held back and it is just upgrading stuff (no removal).

The following packages have been kept back:
libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libapt-pkg-perl libcairo-perl libfolks25 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl
libhtml-parser-perl libio-pty-perl libjson-xs-perl liblocale-gettext-perl libnet-dns-perl
libnet-ssleay-perl libpango-perl libsnmp15 libsocket6-perl libsub-name-perl
libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl libxml-parser-perl libyaml-syck-perl perl
perl-base perl-modules perlmagick sessioninstaller
The following packages will be upgraded:
aisleriot apparmor dh-translations firefox firefox-globalmenu firefox-gnome-support
firefox-locale-en firefox-locale-es firefox-locale-pt firefox-locale-zh-hans gir1.2-totem-1.0
gir1.2-vte-2.90 gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-full
gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard imagemagick initscripts libldap-2.4-2
liblightdm-gobject-1-0 libmagick++3 libmagickcore3 libmagickcore3-extra libmagickwand3
libpurple-bin libsnmp-base libsyncdaemon-1.0-1 libtotem0 libvte-2.90-9 libvte-common libvte9
libxmmsclient6 libzbar0 lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter locales python-ubuntuone-client python-vte
sysv-rc sysvinit-utils totem-common ubuntuone-client vim-common vim-tiny xul-ext-ubufox
46 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 40.2 MB of archives.

ronacc
November 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I just now started an update with synaptic , 1 removed 1 installed and 67 upgrades , the removed was libperl 5.12 the installed was libperl 5.14 .

BillyBoa
November 16th, 2011, 03:07 PM
If you go to Ubuntu Software Center there is a tab HISTORY. Click it to see what happened.

ronacc
November 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
synaptic also has a history , file>history .

dino99
November 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
that removed gtkorphan on my end, due to libperl5.12
but can be installed back again now

castrojo
November 16th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Just did most recent update in synaptic. It called to remove (which I allowed it) several programs including the "shutter" program with is a screenshot program -(can't figure that one out).

There's a Perl transition in progress right now so everything requiring perl needs to be rebuilt:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2011-November/034441.html

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM
If you go to Ubuntu Software Center there is a tab HISTORY. Click it to see what happened.

OK.. but why would it remove the *shutter* screenshot program?

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
There's a Perl transition in progress right now so everything requiring perl needs to be rebuilt:

Thanks castrojo. I am just wondering if these removals and transitions will lead to possible breakages.

thanks.

Ok .. the dev more or less says that there will not be too much disruption. Hmmmm ? :)

castrojo
November 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
For me all the packages are held back (which is what is supposed to happen).

If something is wanting to be removed it's because you're trying to do a partial upgrade, probably a setting with synaptic or something (I'm not familiar with it).

philinux
November 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM

If something is wanting to be removed it's because you're trying to do a partial upgrade, probably a setting with synaptic or something (I'm not familiar with it).

Yep exactly same here as expected.

The following packages have been kept back:
evolution-data-server libcairo-perl libcamel-1.2-29 libedataserverui-3.0-1 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl liblocale-gettext-perl
libpango-perl libpurple0 libsnmp15 libsub-name-perl libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl perl perl-base
perl-modules sessioninstaller xchat xchat-common
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgrade

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Haven't touched a thing in synaptic. Updates were going great , unimpeded until today.

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
It's holding some packages here every two days or so, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also important to mention: I gave up update-manager, update-notifier, synaptic, apt-get, Ubuntu Software Center, and am relying only on aptitude. As much as I know that all these tools are supposed to output the same results, recent events proved me aptitude is a bit smarter. What triggered it was the last wonderful advice I got from update-manager (to remove libc6).

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 05:37 PM
It's holding some packages here every two days or so, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also important to mention: I gave up update-manager, update-notifier, synaptic, apt-get, Ubuntu Software Center, and am relying only on aptitude. As much as I know that all these tools are supposed to output the same results, recent events proved me aptitude is a bit smarter. What triggered it was the last wonderful advice I got from update-manager (to remove libc6).

I used aptitude a while back .. worked good when I had that busted precise system back a while ago.

philinux
November 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM

+1. I only use aptitude on a development release. Never let me down. Plus I nearly always update via chroot from the stable release so I have no gui. :p

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade
and
aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade
The full upgrade wants to do this but I'll wait a few more hours.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
libperl5.14{a}
libcairo-perl libglib-perl libgtk2-perl liblocale-gettext-perl libpango-perl libpurple0 libsnmp15 libsub-name-perl
libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl perl perl-base perl-modules sessioninstaller{b} xchat xchat-common
17 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.5 MB of archives. After unpacking 10.8 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
sessioninstaller: Conflicts: gnome-codec-install but 0.4.7+nmu1ubuntu2 is installed.
libperl5.12: Depends: perl-base (= 5.12.4-6) but 5.14.2-3build1 is to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1) gnome-codec-install
2) libperl5.12

dino99
November 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM

All the *perl packages have been installed without trouble if you first purge libperl 5.12, then after the *perl installation you can install back the removed package(s). No more package held back here on i386.

ventrical
November 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
+1. I only use aptitude on a development release. Never let me down. Plus I nearly always update via chroot from the stable release so I have no gui. :p

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade
and
aptitude update && aptitude full-upgradeThe full upgrade wants to do this but I'll wait a few more hours.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
libperl5.14{a}
libcairo-perl libglib-perl libgtk2-perl liblocale-gettext-perl libpango-perl libpurple0 libsnmp15 libsub-name-perl
libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libuuid-perl perl perl-base perl-modules sessioninstaller{b} xchat xchat-common
17 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.5 MB of archives. After unpacking 10.8 MB will be freed.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
sessioninstaller: Conflicts: gnome-codec-install but 0.4.7+nmu1ubuntu2 is installed.
libperl5.12: Depends: perl-base (= 5.12.4-6) but 5.14.2-3build1 is to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
1) gnome-codec-install
2) libperl5.12

Thanks for that confirmation - re: <gnome-codec-install> .. so it's not just me.

Bowmore
November 16th, 2011, 06:19 PM
These packages was removed in my case:
- libperl5.12
- gnome-codec-install

libperl5.12 is obvious due to the upgrade from 5.12 to 5.14.
gnome-codec-install is removed because sessioninstaller replaces it acc to its dependencies.

PaulW2U
November 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the link, I guessed that was what was happening.

As a Kubuntu user, I've only lost kvirc in order to install the Perl updates. I'll just use konversation until I get kvirc back. :neutral:

Edit: New kvirc build just installed. :D

IanW
November 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
OK.. but why would it remove the *shutter* screenshot program?

Synaptic says that Shutter depends on Perl.

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Synaptic says that Shutter depends on Perl.

It does, in fact.

$ [sudo] password for ahsl:
shutter
Depends: libgtk2-perl
Depends: libglib-perl
Depends: libgnome2-perl
Depends: libgnome2-vfs-perl
Depends: libgnome2-wnck-perl
Depends: libgnome2-gconf-perl
Depends: liblocale-gettext-perl
Depends: libxml-simple-perl
Depends: libwww-mechanize-perl
Depends: libwww-perl
Depends: perlmagick
graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat
Depends: libx11-protocol-perl
Depends: librsvg2-common
Depends: libfile-desktopentry-perl
Depends: libfile-basedir-perl
Depends: libfile-copy-recursive-perl
Depends: libfile-mimeinfo-perl
Depends: libproc-simple-perl
Depends: libfile-homedir-perl
Depends: libfile-which-perl
Depends: libsort-naturally-perl
Depends: libgtk2-imageview-perl
Depends: libnet-dbus-perl
Depends: libgnome2-canvas-perl
Depends: imagemagick
graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat
Depends: libproc-processtable-perl
Depends: libgtk2-unique-perl
Suggests: nautilus-sendto
Suggests: libnet-dbus-glib-perl
Recommends: gnome-web-photo
Recommends: libgoo-canvas-perl

castrojo
November 17th, 2011, 06:01 AM
As much as I know that all these tools are supposed to output the same results, recent events proved me aptitude is a bit smarter.

They don't offer the same results, aptitude's upgrade resolver isn't really tested (which is why it was moved to universe), see this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/592336/comments/19

effenberg0x0
November 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
They don't offer the same results, aptitude's upgrade resolver isn't really tested (which is why it was moved to universe), see this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/592336/comments/19

I was completely unaware of aptitude not being in the "official" set of tools and had never paid attention to which repo it was on when installing. Anyway, it's good to know I'm not crazy - the thing indeed works differently with deps. Good info.

Whenever I see relevant differences in what apt-get and aptitude propose, I'll remember to post a bug reply then. Since both have a simulation mode, I will consider scripting something to auto diff their suggestions.

Thanks castrojo