PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu PP/Nvidia/Flash (all 64) Crashes - Workaround

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I have been failing to use Flash on PP (both 64-bit), any browser, for about two weeks. There are no output messages on crash, so it's hard to debug. After some digging, I found the reason why.

If I launch the browser with Mesa libGL it works. Using Nvidia 290.x libGL (which is the default for those who use Nvidia proprietary driver), I get a crash. I'm not sure how it works for people that are on 32-bit Nvidia/Ubuntu/Flash.

So I created two workaround files, to be used by the launchers/shortcuts/manually, etc.

Firefox

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/firefox.sh
#!/bin/sh
# Firefox.sh
# Workaround for nvidia vs mesa libgl issue
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
nohup /usr/bin/firefox &
Chromium

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/chromium.sh
#!/bin/sh
# chromium.sh
# Workaround for nvidia vs mesa libgl issue
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
nohup /usr/bin/chromium-browser &

sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/firefox.sh
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/chromium.shThen update your launchers, shortcuts, default apps, gconf, whatever, etc.

In the case of Firefox, /usr/bin/firefox is a soft-link to /usr/lib/firefox*/firefox.sh. It is just as viable to simply add the exported libgl variable to this sh or change the soft link elsewhere.

$ ls -la /usr/bin/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Nov 7 13:59 /usr/bin/firefox -> ../lib/firefox-8.0/firefox.sh
One can also simply add LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to the default environment, avoiding all this. I'd avoid manually changing the softlinks at /usr/lib though... cause you'll have to undo the change when mesa or nvidia gets updates, etc.