PDA

View Full Version : Open Call to Arms

stlsaint
November 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
NOTE: This does not only apply to those who wish to develope on UCE...this message goes out to those of you who just utilize UCE as a OS! If you just have some suggestions please feel free to contact those listed in this thread. We are here to give the end user a awesome, safe, stable OS for use so please feel free to get involved on all levels!

Ok so it is pretty clear that we have some folks who still desire to see UCE thrive and though it may seem small in numbers we can still easily make this happen! So i am doing just what the title suggest and calling all UCE enthusiast's to join up as one team. Myself and nmhenry along with Jereme have already began initial planning and steps to take for not only a release iso but also a derivative iso to aid in development and pushing out UCE in various distros.

Jereme and DK have done some amazing work in doing this especially considering they were working primariyl alone which is be all means very admirable but its obvious that more hands are needed. Archangelos has already shown his plans and desire to get invovled so lets all do it.

For those interested lets formalize this and establish an open team. Please contact myself at stlsaint@ubuntu.com
or inbox/message nmhenry here on the forums. Archangleos i see you are already working so please contact one of us so we can merge our efforts. Jonathan also has shown a willingness to volunteer with licensing so we will be in contact as well.

Again this is a call to all volunteers to get the ball rolling again on UCE. No experience in programming, packaging or development required, we just need motivated soldiers for Christ! :guitar:

Archangelos
November 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Ok, saint. Sounds like a plan. I'm going to be tinkering around with some things for a few hours everyday through the winter and re-examining and thinking about possibilities and what makes the most sense for the most people.

I just got in from teaching class today, so give me a while and I'll send you me contact info.

I'll rescript Wine Christian Repository if I have to, but I'm not going to like it. Somebody needs to get david on the horn.

But yeah, I'm in for the long haul. If for no other reason than to be annoying enough to get people moving. ;)

nmhenry71655
November 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Before you rescript Wine Christian apps, email me or contact me on irc. freenode: bromichaelhenry. I have an idea that I have been discussing with stlsaint.

Later,

Archangelos
November 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Before you rescript Wine Christian apps, email me or contact me on irc. freenode: bromichaelhenry. I have an idea that I have been discussing with stlsaint.

Later,

Oh, good! I'd almost rather walk on shards of broken glass than rescript WCR. I'll send email to hear the rest of the story. :popcorn:

stlsaint
November 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Work is already underway. Since posting this thread we have formed a (rough draft) wiki page, have the ability to use even more server space for UCE and moved to form a mailing list. We will keep the forum folks updated on our progress.

not found
November 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I have no experience what so ever except using Ubuntu but as a Christian Ubuntu user I am more than willing to help out in any way that I can :)

Archangelos
November 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Work is already underway. Since posting this thread we have formed a (rough draft) wiki page, have the ability to use even more server space for UCE and moved to form a mailing list. We will keep the forum folks updated on our progress.

Sounds great saint. I'll be watching with joy.

In the mean time, I'm looking at XFCE for my own sanity and edification.

stlsaint
November 16th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I have no experience what so ever except using Ubuntu but as a Christian Ubuntu user I am more than willing to help out in any way that I can :)

Awesome, any assistance is highly appreciated. Im thinking of making a sticky to show progress of UCE so your position as staff can help in that area for start! :popcorn:

stlsaint
November 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Sounds great saint. I'll be watching with joy.

In the mean time, I'm looking at XFCE for my own sanity and edification.

Thanks for notice. As archangleos posted earlier we are considering other derivatives for long term down range support. We are looking at xfce and lxde for starters since we want to keep the resource footprint small.

Archangelos
November 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for notice. As archangleos posted earlier we are considering other derivatives for long term down range support. We are looking at xfce and lxde for starters since we want to keep the resource footprint small.

Yes. You get an affirmative on that from here. It's a sort of 'wait and see' game with Gnome 3 right now as far as I'm concerned. I'm not trying to get negative, but man, I am honestly more irked with Ubuntu than I can ever remember right now. And my frustration has nothing to do with the current 'buzz' against Unity and Gnome 3. I have an honest to goodness gripe with the whole thing and am prepared to back it up with evidence and president. But I'm going to keep it to myself for the sake of helping the CE project. I'll send you an email so you can add me to mailing list saint. I want to do what I can to help, but I need to step away from this for a day because I just get more annoyed at Gnome 3 and Unity the more I think about it.

Blessings. Calm and Peace. I'm being calm and peaceful. And positive. :)

nmhenry71655
November 17th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Mailing list info

- To post on your mailing list, simply send email to
ubuntuchristianedition@freelists.org.

- Users can subscribe to your list by sending email to
ubuntuchristianedition-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting your list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/ubuntuchristianedition

Also, Raphael from the Ichthux project wanted to know if we wanted to continue Ichthux.

Again email is bromichaelhenry at gmail dot com or irc freenode #ubuntuce, #linux4christians, #ichthux.

Lets get a plan laid out, software, repository, etc. desktop environment, whether we want to stay with ubuntu etc.

Later

jonathonblake
November 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Jonathan also has shown a willingness to volunteer with licensing so we will be in contact as well.

In an earlier thread, I stated I would have a draft document for licensing done by the end of the weekend. The one that ended two days ago.

I've got most of it done. The stumbling block has been to draft something that covers closed source/proprietary software, that doesn't reflect my biases.

### The rest of this belongs in a thread of its own.

Issue # 1 is support for the worship software that Logos distributes:

Logos doesn't run under WINE, nor under CrossOver;
I don't know if their worship software runs under either WINE or CrossOver;
Their worship software is still in beta testing. Market success is still to be determined;
Logos has a greater share of the Biblical Software market than Lifeway has. As such, I expect Logos worship software to take marketshare from Lifeway's worship software;

Issue # 2 is which Biblical software to include:

Currently, four Biblical Software packages are available for Ubuntu, as native applications;
An e-Sword installation script is available;
Wine Repository adds four more Biblical Software Packages;

How many choices for Biblical software should be included?

As Archangelos pointed out, the team needs somebody to maintain the e-Sword Installation script, and a different person to maintain the Wine Repository script. (I'd like to think that David will be willing to continue to maintain the e-Sword Installation script, but I don't want to make a bad assumption here.);
The CrossWire Bible Society team do make the current version of the software produced by The Sword Project available in PPAs, which can be easily installed;
Shane has made some noises about not keeping BibleAnalyzer updated. (I can't find the specific message, but my memory is that he was questioning the value of doing so, due to constantly changing requirements by Ubuntu, and very low user usage. If I misunderstood/misremember, I'm open to correction.);

Issue # 3 is proprietary software in general:
Almost every non-FLOSS program out there has its own license. its own set of what constitutes "acceptable usage".

Once one strays into Enterprise Resource Project Management Software, the options are:

Software as a Service;
Require a person who knows the software to install and maintain;
Masquerades as FLOSS, but has a EULA that essentially proclaims "All of your Rights, legal and otherwise, have been removed and revoked";

End Result:

Documentation/Art licenses: A list of licenses, which if used, will not raise objections from a licensing POV.

Documentation/Art copyright: A set of forms that needs to be completed, to ensure that the work can be legally redistributed, without violating copyright law. These forms must be be filled out, and accompanied by the license for the work.

FLOSS Software licenses: A list of FLOSS licenses, which, if used, will not raise objections from either a licensing or copyright POV to including the proposed software;

Non-FLOSS Software licenses: A list of non-FLOSS licenses, which, if used, will not raise objections from either a licensing, or copyright POV to including either the proposed software, or a script that installs it;

Other Software licenses: A list of criteria that non-FLOSS software licenses must meet, for the software to be considered for inclusion.

My initial thought was to simply say that if the software didn't support the Orthodox Canon, it would be rejected outright. However, that is a reflection of my bias, and could be construed as being subjective, and pushing a specific theological position.

The ideal religious distro is agnostic about the general beliefs of the individual, but provides supporting software for their specific beliefs.

###

Followup on ubuntuchristianedition@freelists.org

jonathon

stlsaint
November 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Mailing list info

- To post on your mailing list, simply send email to
ubuntuchristianedition@freelists.org.

- Users can subscribe to your list by sending email to
ubuntuchristianedition-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting your list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/ubuntuchristianedition

Also, Raphael from the Ichthux project wanted to know if we wanted to continue Ichthux.

Again email is bromichaelhenry at gmail dot com or irc freenode #ubuntuce, #linux4christians, #ichthux.

Lets get a plan laid out, software, repository, etc. desktop environment, whether we want to stay with ubuntu etc.

Later

This is great. I advise everyone interesting in the tracking of UCE to join the mailing list. I cannot speak for other members but i personally will not post all the development info via the forums. I will be contacting all volunteers via the mailing list now that we are up on it.