PDA

View Full Version : Help with: Terratec Cinergy S2 USB HD (rev2): s2-liplianin

Jim_101
November 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hi,
I'm a bit of a noob with linux and I'm struggling to get this working.

I'm using mythbuntu 11.10 kernel 3.0.0-12-generic.

To get it installed I need s2-liplianin.

I've downloaded both files from the terratec website here (http://linux.terratec.de/tv_en.html).

Firmware copied to /lib/firmware
Patch applied
Then when I try to make I get this:

make -C /usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l'
creating symbolic links...
make -C firmware prep
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/firmware'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/firmware'
make -C firmware
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/firmware'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `default'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/firmware'
Kernel build directory is /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/build
make -C /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l CFLAGS="-I../linux/include -D__KERNEL__ -I/include -DEXPORT_SYMTAB" modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic'
CC [M] /usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.o
/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.c: In function 'xc2028_set_params':
/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.c:1178:5: error: 'T_DIGITAL_TV' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.c:1178:5: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.c:1179:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
make[3]: *** [/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l/tuner-xc2028.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/s2-liplianin-7ea7cc0eaa40/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Jim

nemanaldin
November 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM
hi,
i have this problem too
my dvb is technotrend s2-3200
please help

slarty2000
November 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I'm getting something very similar to that too with my Technisat skystar usb HD
when i run lsusb i get
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 14f7:0500 TechniSat Digital GmbH DVB-PC TV Star HD

I've tried to down load a firmware file and add to the lib\firmware
I installed mercurial
i tried to follow this wiki http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Technisat_SkyStar_USB_HD

but I get the same problem as you with the make

I'm a novice to linux so I could be doing something wrong or maybe this process no longer works with ubuntu 11:10?

any help would be great

Jim_101
November 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I finally went back to 10.04 and managed to get s2-liplianin to build fine.

I followed the steps in the readme file of the patch archive on the Terratec Linux website:

1. get s2-liplianin repository:
hg clone http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/s2-liplianin

2. copy firmware:
-copy "dvb-fe-ds3000.fw" to "/lib/firmware"

3. copy patch and apply it:
-copy "cinergy_s2_usb_r2.patch" to "s2-liplianin"
(cd into s2-liplianin folder)
patch -p1 -i cinergy_s2_usb_r2.patch
(in case of sucess just the following message appears:
"patching file linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dw2102.c")

4. make (still within "s2-liplianin" folder)

4a. (only if error with module FIREDTV):
sed -i 's/CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=m/CONFIG_DVB_FIREDTV=n/' ./v4l/.config
make

5. sudo make install

6. connect "CINERGY S2 USB Rev.2" and enjoy!

Also a lot of info here:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TerraTec_Cinergy_S2_PCI_HD_CI

If anyone does know how to get this to build in Oneric I'd love to know.

Jim

Jim_101
November 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
This caused a whole host of other problems, making this not an option for me; my nvidia card HDMI output isn't recognized in the sound settings in MythTV, my cheapo DVB-T usb stick isn't recognized either.

I found this problem with s2-liplianin documented here,
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/S2-liplianin
but as current it seems there's no solution to it.

Theres some foreign posts that I'm trying to make sense of.

nickrout
November 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM
For heaven's sake people, just buy supported cards.

Do not buy a card based on a manufacturer's drivers. Buy one with drivers in the mainstream kernel.

alien878
November 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
The ironic thing is, the drivers have been in the kernel since 2.6.39 according to http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Technisat_SkyStar_USB_HD

I have not been able to get a card with the same chipset to work on these included drivers and am also stuck on 10.04. I can't complain... it all works, so I just lock the kernel version and leave it alone.

Note: I had more luck with the older mantis drivers from jusst.de than the s2-liplainin. See here for details on both (different card, same drivers):

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TerraTec_Cinergy_C_DVB-C

Whiskey-Jack
November 29th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I have a similar problem with a different card (TechniSat Skystar HD). Since I also only just took my first steps in LinuxTV land I'm a bit lost. What I would like to understand is why I should compile and install liplianin when there are drivers included in the kernel?

My card is working, but only with scan and normal channels. I can't get HD channels so I tried scan-s2. But in order to compile that it seems to need liplianin which in turn won't compile (same problem as mentioned earlier). I don't mind compiling, but there seem to be so many dirvers, branches and packages/apps (scan that works for me, dvbscan that doesn't, scan-s2 that you need to compile yourself) that it is all just a bit confusing. So if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated ;)

alien878
November 30th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi WJ. I really can't say why the kernel drivers didn't work for me. I've tried both 10.10 and 11.04 without success. There were some comments that a buggy version was imported, but that should have been fixed by now.

If you have SD and not HD, you might check signal strength, connectors, etc. I find hat HD is much more sensitive to poor signal strength. You might also check dmesg and lsusb to see if the device was detected as an S2.

Whiskey-Jack
December 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for your reply. I did play around a bit and it seems the drivers with kernel 3.0 are working fine for me. I just couldn't get scan-s2 to work, but as it turns out w_scan works perfectly. I had tried with a bunch of different older kernels with s2-liplianin and although one worked, most did not even detect the card. No matter as the latest one is working fine without the need to install additional drivers.

Loki555
January 3rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
@Whiskey-Jack
I have a Terratec Cinergy S2 USB HD rev2 and want to use it on Ubuntu 11.10 can you please post your solution?

Greetings
Loki

Whiskey-Jack
January 3rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I just used the stock kernel with the latest Ubuntu release. The drivers in there work fine for me, however, I'm not using a usb solution. My actual problem turned out to be scan-s2 which wouldn't work with HD channels. However, with w_scan scanning HD channels did work. Hope it helps.

kamolt
March 11th, 2012, 04:05 PM
For heaven's sake people, just buy supported cards.

Do not buy a card based on a manufacturer's drivers. Buy one with drivers in the mainstream kernel.

I did not yet find any S2 card with CI that works properly under Linux. I have a tt-s2-3200 that usually works ok for S2 channels but mostly fails for S channels. For example it is unable lock the French Mezzo channel. To receive Mezzo i have to switch to an old TT-S1500 - CI dvb pci card. A few kernels ago before 2.6 I think tt-S2-3200 worked much better.
So for all I know there is NO dvb-s2 + CI card that works 100% with the so called drivers in the mainstream kernel. I am a very long term mythtv user and I like Ubuntu a lot but if consider all the hours I hav spent to get things working then I must ackowledge that W7 is a very cheap OS. Everything works out of the box....