PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Trouble with new install of Ubuntu Studio

jroa
November 13th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 11.10 and I have been trying to get it to work for the last day and a half. Surprisingly, my wireless adapter worked perfectly on the first boot. However, I can't seem to get any sound out of my machine.

I checked the checked the checksum of the iso before burning and checked the media after burning. Both were fine. The last time I used Ubuntu was 10.04 and my sound worked fine back then, so I assumed that it should work fine with a newer version.

Should I just install regular Ubuntu 11.10, get the sound working, and then install the studio applications manually, or should I keep jacking around with this install?

jejeman
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I suppose that cabels are connected fine.
give us output from

aplay -lAnd alsao say if it is laptop, desktop?

jroa
November 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Sorry for the delay. I had to go to work.

The cables are fine. When I boot into Windows, the sound works. Before installing Ubuntu Studio, I had Fedora 14 on the same partition and it worked there as well.

Here is the output for aplay -l.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The computer is a desktop with an integrated sound card. I tried running Audacity and recording with a mic. Usually, I would be able to see the sound wave as I play back, but it showed just a straight line, so the input and output are not working.

Before the install, I installed Ubuntu Studio on a virtual machine and had the same issue. I was hoping that a full install would give different results, but it did not.

I think I am going to download and burn a live Ubuntu CD to make sure the problem is not with Ubuntu.

jejeman
November 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
The card is supported by alsa. Open alsamixer and see if there is something muted or turn down. Also check sound preferences for same things.