PDA

View Full Version : Mythtv starts deleting recordings at 40% full

mathog
November 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM
The problem is this, whenever storage exceeds 40%, or about 400GB on disk, it starts deleting recordings.

WHY?????

Details:

0.21 mythbuntu
Two disks: sdb at 160GB and sda at 1TB.
Two storage directories:

/dev/sdb7 143486704 121715036 21771668 85% /home/mythdbstorage
/dev/sda7 935020576 288072392 646948184 31% /home/mythdbstorage2

Yet whenever storage exceeds 40%, or about 400GB on disk, MythTV starts deleting recordings (oldest first).

Why?????

"extra disk space" is set at 1 GB. Both of these storage areas have been added to both of the Default and LiveTV storage groups. For some reason Mythtv seems to think that the total storage area is 400GB, when it is actually over 1 TB. There are not 400GB partitions, nor have there ever been. For the life of me I can't figure out where it is getting the 400GB limit from.

Tried running

mysql_tables.sh --repair

but it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

nickrout
November 13th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Dunno, but 0.21 is very old, try using a supported version :)

mathog
November 14th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Dunno, but 0.21 is very old, try using a supported version :)

Ideally, sure. However, given the relatively high chance of that upgrade not going smoothly, and the several days it might easily take to get back to a working system, and the better half's constant use of the DVR, it would be best for now to just fix this one problem.

nickrout
November 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Well you are likely on your own, 0.21 is not supported.

mathog
December 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
I figured out what is happening here. It is normal, but annoying. The situation is this:

1. small 160 GB original disk, used until mostly full
2. added a larger disk.
3. list both disks as storage areas.

The default storage algorithm splits IO when it can. So whenever both tuners are running it writes one file to the first disk, and the other file to the second disk. This happens a lot. The situation is that the first disk is nearly full, while the second one has gobs of space. This is where it gets interesting. When the system sees there isn't enough room on the smaller disk for the next recording it deletes the oldest recording on that disk, even though there are gobs of unused memory on the other disk. This old version apparently lacks the capability of rebalancing the storage.

The workaround was to copy from the command line all of the recordings from the smaller disk to the larger disk. Now neither disk is anywhere close to filling up so no old recordings are deleted even though we are well past 42% now. Somewhere near another 300 GB of accumulated recordings the small disk will fill up again, and at that point the symptom will recur - unless I manually move files around before then.