PDA

View Full Version : How do you backup .config or .gconf via cli?

kansasnoob
November 11th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I guess I'm having one of those dunce-cap moments :(

I generally know very well how to back-up or rename system files, but I've always used the UI for stuff in /home.

Now I'd like to learn how to "cp" .gconf, .config, etc. Something like "cp .gconf .gconf_OLD".

I'd think since I'm in /home there'd be no need to use "sudo" or "cd" to any different directory.

Somehow I'm stumped. I can right-click any of those files and select rename or copy, but I'll be dogged if I can create a backup using "cp".

I'm sure I'll laugh at the simplicity of the answer, but I'm stumped ATM :(

seeker5528
November 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
cp -a .config some_destination_directory

If you copy to a location (ntfs/fat) that can't save the linux FS permissions you will probably get a complaint, but it should still do it, the destination directory has to exist.

In the case of ntfs/fat I would create an archive of .config then copy the archive to your ntfs/fat partition.

If you don't care about permissions
cp -r some_directory some_destination_directory

Later, Seeker

kansasnoob
November 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM
cp -a .config some_destination_directory

If you copy to a location (ntfs/fat) that can't save the linux FS permissions you will probably get a complaint, but it should still do it, the destination directory has to exist.

In the case of ntfs/fat I would create an archive of .config then copy the archive to your ntfs/fat partition.

If you don't care about permissions
cp -r some_directory some_destination_directory

Later, Seeker

So the "-a" must be there just as if I were using "ls", eg:

ls -a

to show the contents of /home:

lance@lance-desktop:~$ ls -a
. Desktop .gvfs Public
.. .dmrc .ICEauthority .pulse
.adobe Documents .local .pulse-cookie
.bash_history Downloads .macromedia .sudo_as_admin_successful
.bash_logout .esd_auth .mission-control Templates
.bashrc examples.desktop .mozilla .thumbnails
.cache .gconf Music Videos
.compiz .gnome2 .opera .Xauthority
.config .gstreamer-0.10 Pictures .xsession-errors
.dbus .gtk-bookmarks .profile

Why didn't I think of that :confused:

Many, many thanks :)

kansasnoob
November 11th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Just out of curiosity, does .config act like .gconf as far as totally blowing it away to get a default configuration back?

xebian
November 11th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Just out of curiosity, does .config act like .gconf as far as totally blowing it away to get a default configuration back?

The -a option in cp means archive preserve all attributes and recursively copies everything especially if it's a directory.

In GUI file manager, turn on 'show hidden file' ( ctl+h) and then you can see them so you can then do your copy or move right+click

If these files are missing they will be recreated from default once you login.

MacUntu
November 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM
So the "-a" must be there just as if I were using "ls", eg:

Nope, has nothing to do with 'ls' at all.

man cp should help. Easy to remember: 'a' for archive. ;)

kansasnoob
November 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
This was all very helpful. What I'm doing is trying to come up with a basic "single command" to convert either a Oneiric or Precise DE to "classic w/o effects", and I was concerned about providing instructions for editing the panel afterwards.

What I've found is that there is no real need to back up either .config or .gconf, unless you have them customized and desire to have a backup (I'll keep a copy on a flash drive for my own use), because you can still "rm -r" both of those and on reboot (or even just logout/login) the desktop settings are restored just as they were in gnome 2.3* :)

Many thanks to all.

effenberg0x0
November 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I backup using cp -axR cp -axR .something /media/other_devices/backup

But, as you are doing heavy customization on the machine, and it's good to play safe, you might wanna store important settings elsewhere. While cp -axR .something .something.else is ok, you might also wanna consider putting rsync on cron to backup all your work important folders and files somewhere else safe every 1 hour or so (it can be incremental).