PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] nvidia-current 285.05.09 lagging out?!?!?

VinDSL
November 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Since doing a massive update, last night, my machine has been lagging out, from time-to-time.

It's most noticeable when I'm using browsers (all three) Opera-Next, Chromium, and Firefox, but...

Sometimes apps lag out too. Gedit, for instance, lags out when I open a file with syntax highlighting enabled. The text loads instantly, but the syntax highlighting goes slowly down the window, almost like pulling a shade down.

I suspect that nvidia-current 285.05.09 is causing the problem. I've had problems with 285.x before.

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit

Hrm... component mismatch.

vindsl@Zuul:~$ dpkg-query -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.35 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-current 285.05.09-0ubuntu1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii nvidia-settings 280.13-0ubuntu4 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
vindsl@Zuul:~$

Wonder if this could be causing the problem...

effenberg0x0
November 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Since doing a massive update, last night, my machine has been lagging out, from time-to-time.

It's most noticeable when I'm using browsers (all three) Opera-Next, Chromium, and Firefox, but...

Sometimes apps lag out too. Gedit, for instance, lags out when I open a file with syntax highlighting enabled. The text loads instantly, but the syntax highlighting goes slowly down the window, almost like pulling a shade down.

I suspect that nvidia-current 285.05.09 is causing the problem. I've had problems with 285.x before.

@Vin, running unity --replace& and using the PC normally, to have a chance to see the output of the section, I'm seeing many more errors then usual when using any GUI app. I posted 3 that were very frequent here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877516 Some of them were fixed with the procedure I mentioned in that thread.

I'm also seeing a flood of GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed every time I sense the GUI interface gets kind of laggy.

I'm using the same driver you are, but this behavior started for me in the previous version. I'm not sure it's nvidia driver or some of the latest updates.

effenberg0x0
November 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM

ii nvidia-current 285.05.09-0ubuntu1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii nvidia-settings 280.13-0ubuntu4 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

I installed from NVidia binary, so I can't help there. But when I ls /usr/lib*/*nvidia* /usr/lib*/libGL* -la all my soft links and libs are of the current version.

VinDSL
November 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I snagged an Oneiric version in the x-swat PPA.

ii nvidia-settings 285.05.09-0ubuntu1~oneiric~xup1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

I'll see if it makes any difference. ;)

ventrical
November 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Edit

I pretty well have the same here but my nvidia GEforce 210 runs like greased lightning! :)

ventrical@ubuntu:~$ dpkg-query -l/grep nvidia
dpkg-query: error: unknown option -/

Use --help for help about querying packages.

ventrical@ubuntu:~$ dpkg-query -l | grep nvidia
rc nvidia-current 290.03-0ubuntu1~xedgers~oneiric1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii nvidia-current-updates 285.05.09-0ubuntu1 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
rc nvidia-settings 290.03-0ubuntu1~xedgers~oneiric1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii nvidia-settings-updates 280.13-0ubuntu1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ventrical@ubuntu:~$

VinDSL
November 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Well... I gave 285.05.09 a (more than) fair trial... a week.

I was hoping that subsequent updates would fix the lagginess, but no joy.

Re-installed 280.13, last night, and life is good again. ;)

I'll mark this one [SOLVED].

effenberg0x0
November 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
@Vin

Did you experience better performance using 290.06? It seems to perform better than 285.03, 285.09 and 290.03 here. The only relevant issue is an incompatibility with flash (290.03/290.06), to which I posted a working fix here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881784

I am also seeing what appears to be a slight decrease in GPU temperature during normal operation (average = 5C less) with 290.06 64-bit.

EDIT: I forgot to say, and this might be relevant: I'm using the latest Compiz, Unity and Nux, compiled from source.

VinDSL
November 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Did you experience better performance using 290.06?
I haven't tried it (yet).

I've been busy, building a suitable Conky Weather Script. LoL!

Not enough hours in a day, you know?!?!? :D

At this point, I'll probably wait for Alpha-1 before messing around with the nVidia drivers again.

280.13 is working fine, at the moment...

VinDSL
November 21st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Hrm...

I thought I'd better do an update. This thread pops up high in Google Search results. ;)

I started playing around with kernel updates, last night, and nVidia 290.06.

Eventually, I succeeded in borking my UbuPP install. LoL! :D

After I put Humpty Dumpty back together again, I settled on:

Linux 3.1.0-2-generic, and nVidia-common & nVidia-settings 285.05.09

vindsl@Zuul:~$ dpkg-query -l | grep 3.1.0-2
ii linux-headers-3.1.0-2 3.1.0-2.3 Header files related to Linux kernel version 3.1.0
ii linux-headers-3.1.0-2-generic 3.1.0-2.3 Linux kernel headers for version 3.1.0 on x86/x86_64
ii linux-image-3.1.0-2-generic 3.1.0-2.3 Linux kernel image for version 3.1.0 on x86/x86_64

ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.36 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-settings 285.05.09-0ubuntu1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

Everything is working great now! Go figure... ;)