PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 12.04

Calerid
November 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I know this might seem odd to some. I realize that 12.04 at this point will be unstable. I have a computer that I can afford to play around with. I would like to watch the builds of 12.04 "stabilize" lol. I really just want to see the progress of a build. Can anyone help me update from 11.10 to 12.04?

nothingspecial
November 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Moved to Ubuntu +1.

jppr
November 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hello,

I know this might seem odd to some. I realize that 12.04 at this point will be unstable. I have a computer that I can afford to play around with. I would like to watch the builds of 12.04 "stabilize" lol. I really just want to see the progress of a build. Can anyone help me update from 11.10 to 12.04?

is always better to make a new fresh and clean installation... :popcorn:http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/

kaldor
November 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Yep, it's a much better idea to do a clean install with a daily build. However, you can easily upgrade at this point and it should be fairly seamless as it isn't too far into the cycle yet.

I think you can just do a dist-upgrade, but I may be mistaken. Currently, I'm only testing in a VM.

philinux
November 10th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hello,

Clean install is mostly recommended. Your choice. You can upgrade too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860337

Post #3 and onwards has the info.

TBABill
November 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
It's your choice, but as you indicated it's something you haven't done before. You may not be prepared to troubleshoot and fix a borked development OS if it goes awry so it may be easier on your patience to just install fresh. It could be a nightmare (or go perfectly smooth) to try to troubleshoot it anyway so at least starting fresh won't leave you wondering if the breakage is from the upgrade or the new version being broken.

Just my 2 cents...

Mark Phelps
November 10th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Having messed around myself with pre-release versions, I would heartily support the recommendations of folks that are telling you to do a clean install.

And, I would go further to tell you, that if you are going to install Daily Builds, it would probably be a good idea to do a Clean Install EVERY time.

You do know that these are Pre-Alpha builds, right? That means that crashes and breakage are likely to happen, not be the exception.

So, have fun with experimenting -- and if you have problems, please be sure to post in the proper Development forum, not in ABT or General Help.

Good Luck

kuvanito
November 10th, 2011, 10:00 PM
12.04 is very stable
pritty much 11.10 with some extra make up like firefox 8 and thunderbird 8 but other than that there are not much diffrences
i am using it as my main os
not a glitch.

philinux
November 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
12.04 is very stable
pritty much 11.10 with some extra make up like firefox 8 and thunderbird 8 but other than that there are not much diffrences
i am using it as my main os
not a glitch.

That is simply because this is the calm before the storm. Early development releases are inherently very unstable. I hope you have a backup OS.

TBABill
November 11th, 2011, 03:12 AM
+1! Right now it's not a lot different than just Debian Testing with Unity and Ubuntu tools. Wait till the tweaks, changes, etc. are introduced. It won't be quite so fun to be using it as your production OS once heavy development (or a better term...experimentation!) begins.

VinDSL
November 11th, 2011, 03:41 AM
That is simply because this is the calm before the storm.[...]
Golden!

You beat me to the punch.

I've always said, pre-alpha dev releases are as good as it gets!

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end... ;)

Anyway, yes, a fresh install (keep your /home) is paramount IMO.