PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Possible to fix video tearing or at least lessen?

SPARTAN-118
November 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I realize this has been posted like, a million times already in these forums alone. But...

Is there any possible fix for solving the video tearing issue with fglrx drivers on Kubuntu? When I used GNOME, the open source drivers seemed to be better for video playback, but terrible for anything 3D (and I need 3D for possible rendering and/or gaming.) Keep in mind KDE does not use compiz, so don't tell me to "enable sync to v-blank" or whatever.

Also, if possible, I'd like to keep my pretty desktop effects. They're the reason I use KDE, and not GNOME (among other, more critical reasons...).

And when I say video tearing, I mean online videos. Local videos, even if they're on another partition, seem to be fine.

(I realize this may be a Flash issue. But is there seriously no fix for this?)

OK, what the heck. I just opted into the HTML5 video trial over on YouTube, and while there is ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO TEARING (meaning it's all on Flash), the video playback is agonizingly slow.

EDIT: While I'd still really appreciate if anybody could figure out how to either lessen video tearing or speed up HTML5, I should note that my main method of "browsing" (in quotes for a reason) YouTube is the (native?) app, Minitube. This streams the video file directly instead of using Flash. A bonus is it's free - but only on Linux! xP
Take that, Mac and Windows!