View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Teaching Ubuntu Studio in High School

November 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hey guys, my name is Abe Marsh and I am the music teacher at a charter high school in Greenville, SC. I was hired on this year and was given the unique opportunity to create an electronic music class. I have always been into using computers in musical applications and took many classes in undergraduate and graduate school.
I have 12 students in the class and it is going great! Almost all of the students are non-musicians with no traditional music training. One of my goals for this year is to do a presentation on Ubuntu Studio at our state music educators conference.
I was wondering how many of you are in the same position and if we can collaborate in a number of ways - share lesson plans, projects, ideas... maybe even have students pair up online between schools and collaborate on a shared project. I was also wondering if anyone has been written anything on teaching Ubuntu Studio in schools - especially the vast benefit of cost savings and preparation for professional paid-for applications in the future.
My school's IT guy was kind enough (and brave enough) to let me dual-boot the computer lab computers. Each student has a computer and an account. We bought $30 midi keyboards for them to use. So far we've done a broad overview of linux functions and features, as well as an overview of major software - ardour, audacity, jack, and lmms.
Thanks for reading and any thoughts!

Bucky Ball
November 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Love what you're doing but these tools, apart from perhaps Audacity, are not what these students would be using in a professional audio environment. If it's just for fun, then that doesn't matter. Are you also teaching Pro-Tools, Cubase, Reason, and other tools they would be using in such an environment if this is intended for anything other than the non-professional hobbyist? :)

November 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I understand that the tools in ubuntu studio are not used normally in professional quality studios. I do believe that using tools that incorporate midi sequencing, digital audio mixing, piano-roll editing, etc. would help ease the learning curve for students that decided to learn commercial software in college or on their own. Someone that can create a drum beat in LMMS can probably figure out the drum synth in Reason. This class is intended to be fun for an amateur but also teach the basic elements of computer music, which I feel are foundations of any music software.
I would like to expose them to Protools and Reason in particular, but unless we got a grant I don't see that happening soon. We will talk about commercial software and some of the differences and similarities compared to what we are using.
Thanks for the thoughts!

November 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hi, I would be prepared to supply live CDs/DvDs, so kids
can use things at home, and have a few lightweight version
alternatives, like puppy linux macpup, bodhi linux,or
pclinuuxos minime, for families with older computers languishing beneath windows.

The main audio apps will work in them too. I would not worry
about pro-tools, cubase etc, as learning recording with ardour,
wav editing in audacity, sequencing in qtractor, plug-in use
with calfjackhost, basic synth-sound design with zynaddsubfx,
etc etc will prepare the learner to face each new gui with
confidence and success.

November 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I agree with sgx. You are not teching them software, but principles. How to use tools with mind (understanding).
I just want to point out, don't forget to tell them about freedom and make them understand it. Because that is the main aspect of this software. Functionallity is not that important, just usefull.