PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] overheating in ubuntu 11.10 on acer aspire 5750g

avdmys
November 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hello,i use ubuntu 11.10 on my acer aspire 5750g

intel core i5-2410 2.3GHz
4GB RAM.
dual boot windows7 home premium and ubuntu.

i have no heating problems on windows7,but in ubuntu there is too much of heating my lm-sensors reading show

~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0: +61.0C (high = +86.0C, crit = +100.0C)
Core 0: +61.0C (high = +86.0C, crit = +100.0C)
Core 1: +58.0C (high = +86.0C, crit = +100.0C)

After 5min of boot the touchpad,keybord,etc...starts getting heated.
The fan is running and making buzz at a considerable high speeds non-stop.
The battery life in ubuntu is 1hr40min whereas in windows7 it comes to 4hrs15min.

diasf
November 5th, 2011, 09:20 PM
cpufreqd

avdmys
November 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
thanks for the reply,
i installed cpufreqd........but did not do any good instead the cpu which was scaling the frequency on its own stopped and is constantly running 2.3GHz and the readings in lm-sensors are between 60C-70C........
so i removed the cpufreqd using apt-get remove cpufreqd.(but the heating still exists as before).

Thanks.

diasf
November 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Well, the program by itself, not configured, won't do any good.
First, make sure it's on the "ondemand" governor, not conservative. Then you might consider customizing the cpufreqd.conf. The deamon is quite powerful, for instance I use it to "fix" a cooling problem in my laptop (flawed by design), making it never pass 75C, with considerable performance loss, but works... It can consider processing porcentage, battery porcentage, applications running and so on....

avdmys
November 6th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I am using ubuntu from about 2 months or so.......i am still a beginner with Linux......so please help me in configuring the cpufreqd.conf.

First, the reason i said that cpu is not scaling freq is by:

~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

cpu stays at this freq forever when cpufreqd is installed but when the cpufreqd is not installed the freq will be 800000 or 800MHz most of the time ,also it changes to higher freq when an extra processes is run....this is how i recognized that cpu is not scaling.I have checked it couple of times before posting.

so,looks like we need to configure the cpufreqd.conf.

Thanks.

avdmys
November 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
this is my current cpufreqd.conf.
# this is a comment
# see CPUFREQD.CONF(5) manpage for a complete reference
#
# Note: ondemand/conservative Profiles are disabled because
# they are not available on many platforms.

pidfile=/var/run/cpufreqd.pid
poll_interval=2
verbosity=4
enable_remote=1
#remote_group=root

#
#acpid_socket=/var/run/acpid.socket
#

#
#vcore_path=/some/path
#vcore_default=1500
#

#
#sensors_conf=/some/file
#

#
#name=On Demand High
#minfreq=40%
#maxfreq=100%
#policy=ondemand
#
#
#
#name=On Demand Low
#minfreq=20%
#maxfreq=80%
#policy=ondemand
#

name=Performance High
minfreq=35%
maxfreq=100%
policy=ondemand
#exec_post=echo 8 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness

name=Performance Low
minfreq=80%
maxfreq=80%
policy=performance

name=Powersave High
minfreq=60%
maxfreq=60%
policy=powersave

name=Powersave Low
minfreq=40%
maxfreq=40%
policy=powersave

#
#name=Conservative High
#minfreq=33%
#maxfreq=100%
#policy=conservative
#
#
#
#name=Conservative Low
#minfreq=0%
#maxfreq=66%
#policy=conservative
#

##
# Basic states
##
# when AC use performance mode

name=AC Rule
ac=on # (on/off)
profile=Performance High

# stay in performance mode for the first minutes

name=AC Off - High Power
ac=off # (on/off)
battery_interval=70-100
#exec_post=echo 5 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Performance Low

# conservative mode when not AC

name=AC Off - Medium Battery
ac=off # (on/off)
battery_interval=30-70
#exec_post=echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Powersave High

# conservative mode when not AC

name=AC Off - Low Battery
ac=off # (on/off)
battery_interval=0-30
#exec_post=echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sony/brightness
profile=Powersave Low

##
# Special Rules
##
# CPU Too hot!

name=CPU Too Hot
acpi_temperature=55-100
cpu_interval=50-100
profile=Performance Low

# use performance mode if I'm watching a movie
# I don't care for batteries!
# But don't heat too much.

name=Movie Watcher
programs=xine,mplayer,gmplayer,vlc
battery_interval=0-100
acpi_temperature=0-60
cpu_interval=0-100
profile=Performance High

the changes that i have made are in:
(current)

name=Performance High
minfreq=35%
maxfreq=100%
policy=ondemand

(before)

name=Performance High
minfreq=100%
maxfreq=100%
policy=performance

after the changes the cpu in working ondemand mode......but that has made no changes to the heating, it is still over 60C.......
but the fan is not running very fast now.....

diasf
November 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM
That's the default cpufreqd.conf...
It shows everything that can be done with it, not very useful as operating conf....

What I did:
2 profiles/Rules:
* one ondemand 0% - 100% for when the processor is "cold", that is, temperature less than 70C (in my case)
* one ondemand 0% -50% for when it's more than 70C.

Actually, my .conf is slightly more complex, but I started there. Make your own conf, takes a while to understand the language, but it will solve your problem.

LinuxFan999
November 8th, 2011, 03:29 AM
This laptop is actually known to run hot, under any OS.

thatguruguy
November 8th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Install Jupiter. Here's how (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/jupiter-applet-finally-available-for.html).

Set your performance profile to "High Performance" or "Power Saver".

diasf
November 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Power saver usually just keeps the processor on the lowest frequency.... you'll run cold and slow. I considered it for mine, but with cpufreqd I can control how hot i can let my machine get... afterwards I saw no reason to install jupiter...

fuduntu
November 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Power saver usually just keeps the processor on the lowest frequency.... you'll run cold and slow. I considered it for mine, but with cpufreqd I can control how hot i can let my machine get... afterwards I saw no reason to install jupiter...

What about all of the other things Jupiter offers, like retuning your kernel when you unplug?

diasf
November 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
?

Just reviewed the documentation... nothing that's there has anything to do with what you said. (Matter of fact, doesn't make sense). Further, all the features it provides (for power management), I have on cpufreqd, so no point loading another application to do what the deamon does by itself. And the other non-power related features are totally irrelevant for me anyway.

avdmys
November 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
This laptop is actually known to run hot, under any OS.

no,in windows the laptop does not heat up......but in ubuntu it is heating up and the windows gives battery backup about 2hr 30min more than what ubuntu does(i get only 1hr30min of backup in ubuntu and 4hr in windows).

gautam_jat
November 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
oh dont worry friend.Even i have the same configuration like u in my lenovo laptop.And even my keyboard and touchpad and area around it gets heated.I just found out two reasons for this by my experience and these are
1. when u use 11.04 inside window, i.e through wubi.
2. Unity desktop requires graphic card, so it may also have a heating effect.
3. 11.04 is unstable, and it has many stability and hardware issues, so i suggest u using 10.04 lts, as i myself switched to it and now there is no such heating problem.

fuduntu
November 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
?

Just reviewed the documentation... nothing that's there has anything to do with what you said. (Matter of fact, doesn't make sense). Further, all the features it provides (for power management), I have on cpufreqd, so no point loading another application to do what the deamon does by itself. And the other non-power related features are totally irrelevant for me anyway.

It does make sense, I would know, I wrote it.

Tell me, how does cpufreqd disable nmi watchdog, or adjust dirty writeback centisecs for example when you unplug?

diasf
November 8th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I didn't mean the documentation (It's rather incomplete then, didn't see anything like that), but the part "like retuning your kernel when you unplug" on your previous post.

And I needed something that wouldn't let my processor above 70C anytime (plugged or not)..... which is particularly good when your laptop has problematic cooling

fuduntu
November 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I didn't mean the documentation (It's rather incomplete then, didn't see anything like that), but the part "like retuning your kernel when you unplug" on your previous post.

And I needed something that wouldn't let my processor above 70C anytime (plugged or not)..... which is particularly good when your laptop has problematic cooling

So are you saying it doesn't retune the kernel? My post that you replied too gave two examples of parameters that it changes when you unplug.

As for documentation, it's on the website:

Automatically tunes the kernel for AC or battery
Automatically tunes hardware for AC or battery

- http://www.jupiterapplet.org

It's also discussed on the wiki including documentation on how to add additional parameters to be tuned.

- https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jupiter/index.php?title=Main_Page

CPUFreqd is just one of many things that Jupiter manages. ;)

diasf
November 9th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Advertising aside, the question involved a laptop overheating. What anything does when you plug or unplug doesn't really matter, since it will overheat plugged or not, and cpufreqd is the best way, imo, to solve it.

And AFAIK, jupiter doesn't have an option to maximize clock speed while keeping the processor under XX celsius, does it? That would be handy and way more useful than a shortcut to enable/disable bluetooth for instance (afaik there's a default icon for that on the bluetooth manager, default on lxde at least, don't remember unity). And the only way I know of doing that is with a customized cpufreqd.conf

And don't get me wrong, I looked up jupiter when I had the problem, nice initiative and all.... but honestly, it may be easy for you to find the help topics there, but for me it wasn't, not even now. Mostly of the pages I saw read more like advertising than technical help. A manpage like page would go a long way. Again, this is a constructive critic. If you disagree, ignore and move along. No point getting this thread more OT than this....

LinuxFan999
November 11th, 2011, 02:01 AM
no,in windows the laptop does not heat up......but in ubuntu it is heating up and the windows gives battery backup about 2hr 30min more than what ubuntu does(i get only 1hr30min of backup in ubuntu and 4hr in windows).
Yes, this laptop is known to run hot.

Look here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-5750G-Notebook.46094.0.html

Scroll down to where it says "Temperature". You can see that this laptop does run hot.

clementprem
November 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Had the same problem
here is the solution
follow this link

<http://www.techytalk.info/linux-kernel-2-6-38-2-6-39-power-regression-workaround/>

my cpu is cooler that ever b4 ;)

avdmys
November 18th, 2011, 01:08 PM
everyone, my problem is almost solved:)........

1. i updated the bios.

2. in bios there is a option on disabling nVidia graphic card as i dont need it unless i am playing game in windows.so i set graphic mode in bios to integrated from switchable.

now when i am in ubuntu i get 3hr35min of battery and temp does not cross 52C.
i think temp less than 52C is not bad at all......at least for now considering how hot it was before:).

EDIT:the bios was updated from the acer website.