PDA

View Full Version : 11.04 graphics woes

sqeelurgle
November 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have an 11.04 install that won't boot properly. This is how I broke it:

I have an ATI Radeon 9550 card. I could not get the driver to properly run this card. Video was very jerky.

I bought an Nvidia Geforce 7600 card. Before I installed it, I installed the nvidia-current driver in synaptic.

Changed around the cards and booted. Everything seemed to work fine, except sometimes the video stuttered a bit.

I looked in the "Hardware devices" part of settings, and saw there was an option for "nvidia accelerated video driver" or something similar that wasn't activated. I clicked the button to activate it and itr started downloading. The screen then went blank. I could switch to a virtual terminal and login in, but could not start gdm. Now when I boot, it gets to the splash screen, and won't progress further. I have also put the old card back in (I didn't ever uninstall the ati drivers) but the same thing - it won't boot past the splash screen. I am sure that there must be some package that I could just use apt-get to get rid of or something that was half way through that can be dealt with from the recovery console but I don't know what to do. I can log into the terminal, but can't get internet access, because my internet connection is wifi, and that only seems to be active when X starts.