PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Sound and wired network stopped working

alienlog
November 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have upgraded to Oneiric from Natty a week ago and currently I'm not enjoying it at all :(
Upgrade process broke down everything and I had to use the alternate CD to install Oneiric. After 2 days of battle, the computer was nearly usable as it was before the upgrade. :P

Unfortunately, about 3 days ago, the sound stopped working and after reboot, the wired network stopped working too. I can still use WIFI so I can update the notebook easily.

During these 3 days I've tried a lot of things and nothing worked to get back the lost functionality.

Here comes the technical details :

Phonon shows only dummy output (I got a dialog box saying KDE can't find the sound card anymore)
I tried to remove .kde and .pulse directory but it didn't change anything
Alsa seems to detect it : http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=e40f5d5080b04d8e1b1635c1544dea9d9c204e78
aplay too

aplay -l
**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Sous-périphériques: 0/1
Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Sous-périphériques: 1/1
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

i tried this : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1316634&page=6
About the wired network it says "not connected" when I plug the cable
It connected briefly yesterday after a reboot but stopped working again after the next reboot

I know a few things about computers, but this time I don't think I 'm able to solve it on my own. I feel that both problem are related somehow.

Thanks for your help

alienlog
November 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Ok I think I've solved my wired network problem.
The issue lied in the Network-manager. The ethernet was restricted to a disconnected interface. I put it to "any" and it connected immediately.

I don't know how this could happen since I'm on a laptop and nothing was removed.

Maybe something similar happened to the sound card ? How Phonon can detect the hardware again ?

I tried to compile alsa but it fails no matter what I try(with or without module-assistant)

alienlog
November 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think it's time for an update :
Following the Ac procedure :

Sound cards recognized by the system:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA:
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:
Then aplay -l

**** Liste des Périphériques Matériels PLAYBACK ****
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Sous-périphériques: 0/1
carte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Sous-périphérique #0: subdevice #0But when i launch Phonon i get this message you can see in attachment phonon.png (It's in french but it says my soundcard is not detected anymore and if I wish to remove it permanently)
In attachment phonon1.png i only have dummy output.
But in alsamixer.png everything seems fine !

As a reminder it's notebook, I can't remove the soundcard !
I really don't understand what's happening. Please help !

lkjoel
November 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Could you post the screenshot when you click on: "Configuration des périphéries audio"?

alienlog
November 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks a lot for helping me out

There is no hardware detected. Screenshot called phonon3.png

lkjoel
November 11th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Try following procedure Ae of this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iTlJ8BfqXUjaHO__TEdlkvuqB1WLOkGaudngc5SFLMI/edit

alienlog
November 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I was using version current-updates. I switch back to version current as stated in the procedure.

Unfortunatly the "aplay -l" command as the same output as before. No NVidia HDMI. I'm guessing it's because the laptop is quite old. The graphic card is a Geforce 9600M GT.
Should I continue the procedure with another device ?

Also this command "grep "eld_valid *1" /proc/asound/NVidia/eld*" returns no match found. Actually, there is no NVidia directory. I only find "Intel".

lkjoel
November 12th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Yeah, try using another device.
Use current, not current-updates

alienlog
November 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I made some experiments. Still no sound but I got some devices showing. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

So here what I did :
I skipped the part about "eld" since I don't have any.
I entered this command : sudo update-initramfs -u
I edited this file /etc/pulse/default.pa to add this line : load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
in the static loading part.
Then I removed all cache :
rm -rf ~/.pulse ~/.asound* ~/.pulse-cookie
and finally a reboot.

After login, KDE gave me the message in attachments. I also added some screenshots from Phonon. That's a lot of devices but none is working. I tested each one of them.

Any idea ? I think it stopped working after kernel update 3.0.0-13. But thats was not the only update so I can't be sure.

alienlog
November 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Just to keep updates, I tried to boot an earlier version of kernel but it didn't brought back the sound. I tried 3.0.0-12 and 2.6.38.