PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] need recommendation for Nvidia card

etyson
November 5th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Hi all,

I need a recommendation for an Nvidia video card for a pcie x16 bus. I dual-boot windows for compatibility but solid performance under Linux is the only important thing. Price should be around 100 + or -.

What do you folks recommend?

gordintoronto
November 5th, 2011, 05:11 AM
If your computer supports PCI Express 2.0 x16, this looks nice: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125366

I'm very happy with my MSI 9600 GT card, which is half the price you're talking. I really think expensive video cards are only helpful for Windows games.

etyson
November 5th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Looks good. Thanks.

We use the machine alot for DVD's, streaming movies from Amazon and Youtube. Seems like over the last six months, every time we use Flash once, the machine will lock up somewhere between minutes or hours later.

Replaced the motherboard, now gonna change out the vid card and ram....

gordintoronto
November 6th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Interesting! I built my computer a couple of years ago, and based the components on "fairly fast, best of breed" based on the Newegg ratings plus what people were saying on the PCMech web site. It has been rock solid.

With an Nvidia card, you can enable VDPau, and the video card does most of the work for Flash.

etyson
November 6th, 2011, 02:37 AM
With an Nvidia card, you can enable VDPau, and the video card does most of the work for Flash.

How do I enable this? I have libvdpau, nvidia-173 and nvidia-current installed (as per synaptic).

pme 72
November 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Look here for a long discussion of pros and cons of both Nvida and Ati cards under $100.

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?57979-Best-card-for-under-100/page1

gordintoronto
November 7th, 2011, 01:20 AM
How do I enable this? I have libvdpau, nvidia-173 and nvidia-current installed (as per synaptic).

Oh shucks, I forget. I run an applet which shows my CPU usage, and I could see the difference. I think the method partially depends on what version of Ubuntu you are using. I would Google something like: vdpau oneiric