PDA

View Full Version : Unity combined critisism

Glenn nl
November 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hello, I decided developers might like a place where all the critisism is stored. :popcorn:
This is not my opinion, I gathered them from reviews, blog comments and family.

-Dash
*The application launchers in the dash are not needed. The user probably has Firefox/Banshee in the Launcher for very fast access. (Being fixed for PP, I believe)
*The "recently used" and "applications available for download" are both confusing and distracting
*Applications are hard to directly view, an easily accessible button for viewing everything installed seems to be wanted.

-Launcher
*The Dash button looks out of place compared to other buttons
*It is not very clear to see when an application is opened or not (especially for older people). Maybe have the backlight off by default?

-Panel
*The hidden Global Menu and window buttons are confusing and, obviously, hard to see. Especially for an interface designed for touch devices, this is bad.

-Other
*The overlay scrollbars are hard to spot and it is pretty bad for a touch-screen.

----------

I think Ive got everything, if not please leave a comment which is frequently heard, so no own opinions. :popcorn:

effenberg0x0
November 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Dash Home will probably be changed. See some threads below. I'm suggesting it is configurable per user, but have no idea whether Ubuntu will buy it, probably not.

Apps available for Download and Recently Used actually seem to have good acceptance. I doubt it will be changed.

Launcher:The Dash button looks out of place compared to other buttons
I don't see it, can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? Have you disabled the global panel by any chance?

It is not very clear to see when an application is opened or not (especially for older people). Maybe have the backlight off by default?There's a white arrow aside from the opened apps (left of the button) plus white arrows on the right side for the number of instances. I prefer setting the "backlight and edge illumination toggles" in Ubuntu Unity Plugin at ccsm, plus "Blink" and "Wiggle" but without doing some tests with a sample of users, it's hard to determine what are the preferred defaults.

You should suggest all of these at launchpad to the Ayatana group. They play with those things.

cariboo907
November 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
The developers don't as general rule read this sub-forum, they will post answers to a specific question about a specific package, but posts like these, will be ignored. Some of your complaints will be addressed in this release. See this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874814

That being said, there isn't a need for this type of thread, so it is closed.