PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Novatech laptops, UK

tpprynn
November 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone here using one with Ubuntu? They are available without an operating system in the UK.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/all/

I had no hesitation overwriting Windows 7 Starter on my netbook, with Kubuntu, but I'd find it tricky to justify getting rid of full Windows 7 Home Premium, so the Novatechs might help sidestep the indecision. The 14 inch one I am keen on, as a non-gamer.

wolfen69
November 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Judging from the specs (all intel) of the 14 model, ubuntu should work fine with it.

alco75
November 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
You don't really save anything by buying an OS-free laptop, unfortunately. I considered Novatech, but went for a Thinkpad (that came with W7) for the build quality. Lenovo's laptops generally play nicely with Linux too.

ajgreeny
November 3rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
I have Lubuntu 11.04 on a Novatech X10 from about 15 months ago.

Everything worked extremely well, and I have had no problems at all with it. Are you aware of the Novatech Linux forum section at Novatech Linux Forums (http://forum.novatech.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=53) which I have used quite a bit to find answers.

tpprynn
November 4th, 2011, 01:18 AM
That's great, I'd emailed them earlier asking about Linux use so at a guess they're about to send the same link. I'll join.

Their laptops with Windows on are about £90 more than without and it would help sidestep the pang felt as Windows is destroyed...

Thanks.

ajgreeny
November 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
That's great, I'd emailed them earlier asking about Linux use so at a guess they're about to send the same link. I'll join.

Their laptops with Windows on are about £90 more than without and it would help sidestep the pang felt as Windows is destroyed...

Thanks.
Whilst I agree with part of what alco75 said about not always saving much cash when buying an OS free machine, I think I agree with you more. Why pay any cash for an OS that you will hardly ever (or never) use, or will immediately wipe off the disk?

My X10 came with no OS other than free-dos, which I decided not to keep (I can always add it later if I want to), so I saved about £40 by not having Windows XP, as was offered at that time; the last of the XP machines, I think.

trundlenut
November 4th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I would have a look at the Linux Emporium too.

I quite fancy getting a machine free of Windows, but I have a few esoteric pieces of kit, mainly dataloggers which have Windows only control software which is a pain.

trundlenut
November 4th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I would have a look at the Linux Emporium too.

I quite fancy getting a machine free of Windows, but I have a few esoteric pieces of kit, mainly dataloggers which have Windows only control software which is a pain.

BUT, this got me thinking and a quick search on the internet has just revealed a linux version of the software for one of my main pieces of kit :D