PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] No more studio theme in 11.10?

paramax55
November 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I upgraded from Studio 10.X (don't remember which one) to 11.10 like an idiot. Now I am stuck with the default theme. I hate that stupid slider bar on the left and I hat not having my little tabs at the bottom. I also liked having all of my OS options at the top of the screen instead of having the current window take over the machine. Is there any hope to go with the old theme? Or do I need to wipe and re-install the older version?

jejeman
November 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
It is always useful to read relese notes before install https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/11.10release_notes

paramax55
November 3rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Yes, hindsight is 20/20. I did read that afterward (didn't know about it before). I had done a search on 11.0? and didn't see anything about studio being supported. I did a search on 11.10 and saw references to studio 11.10 being supported, but the release notes didn't show up during the search.

Anyhoo... Is the "Studio" theme broken for right now? (besides the low-latency kernel)? That stupid slide-out bar to the left is quite annoying...

dFlyer
November 3rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
You can't totally get rid of it yet as far as I know, but if you install ccsm you can autohide it, so it only pops up when needed.

jejeman
November 3rd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Can you please post a screenshot of your desktop, for us to see how does it look like now.

paramax55
November 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I am not sure how to do that in Linux. Do I do "print screen" and paste the clipboard into Gimp? It looks like the plain-jane old ordinary Apple-esque Ubuntu pukey desktop. Everything is orange and gray with rounded corners and "flashy" menus and such. I want to do what I need to do with my computer without having to watch a show to get there.

paramax55
November 4th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Here is a screenshot:
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/paramax55/Screenshotat2011-11-03192947.png

jejeman
November 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
The upgrade got you a Unity interface. Which is default for ubuntu 11.10. Because you had gnome you ended up with unity.
Answer to your question is yes, there is no more ubuntu studio theme. Because Ubuntu studio does not use Unity, it went the Xfce way.
I guess you don't really want the theme, but gnome2 interface. Am I right?

There is no more gnome2. You can choose beetween Unity and Gnome3 which both use the same type of interface.
So, those who want a gnome2 kind of interface need to use, from now on, Xfce, Lxde, Kde or to mannualy make their interface with panels and wms.

Relese notes does not apply for your situation.

fallenstar
November 5th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I want to attempt upgrading to see if I can get full duplex support for my USB mic which 10.10 doesn't seem to do, neither in Jack Server nor Audacity (ALSA).

Reading the release notes it says XFCE is incomplete? Does that mean it's still gnome 2?

Looking at your screenshot, you have ubuntu unity, and NOT ubuntu studio, as that has never shipped with unity, thus it isn't a theme of studio/interface, it isn't studio at all. if you use your update window to upgrade, it gives you ubuntu, not ubuntu studio, I dropped a b*ll*ck doing that before (back in 9.04 I think).

Ubuntu studio hasn't shipped with a low latency kernel for some time. Mine (10.10) is certainly generic, it says so on start up! I get options but always boot the first generic option. The release notes also say it's generic for 11.04 and 11.10.

I've already downloaded ubuntu studio 11.04, will stick it on another partition, and also do 11.10 when it downloads, will post screenshots once done to compare. If it's ok will upgrade my main os on the command line (once locate the code to ensure is studio and not plain ubuntu with it's stupid unity) :guitar:

fallenstar
November 5th, 2011, 12:17 AM
There is no more gnome2. You can choose beetween Unity and Gnome3 which both use the same type of interface.

Seriously considering Mint. They're sticking with gnome 2 for the foreseeable future.

sgx
November 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Seriously considering Mint. They're sticking with gnome 2 for the foreseeable future.
I have used mint 9, and now mint 11 on a laptop, it is my favorite
ubuntu, after the 8.04 Studio. Lots of polish, and things
that just work without futzing about in the wee hours. :popcorn: