PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems on Samsung N150

nowad
November 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I listened to my nephew and installed Ubuntu, apparently its so good I choose the delete Windows option. I hate it, have persevered for over a month now, use it everyday.
Im using a Samsung N150. It ran Windows ok but was at times a little sluggish, start up, shut downs etc were dreadful.
Since loading Ubuntu and especially since last update last week its got bad.
No Flash loaded, no volume, cant adjust screen brightness unless being charged when not charging, permanently dull, mousepad very unresponsive, curser bar slow, unable to adjust mouse speed, when tapping mousepad it acts like right clicking, slow to boot, slow to shutdown, gives a list at point of shutdown what is being closed, the pop out bar on left side keeps staying open,webcam no longer works, the download centre permanently tells me there is a fault and need to manually install but offers no solution, I can go on.
Most of these problems were already there with the last version of Ubuntu.
I would have deleted Ubuntu and reinstalled Windows, but apparently its a mare judging by the volume of options there are, also need oe? disk, my restore is downloaded to an external hard drive and apparently that wont work?
To realise how pixxed I am about loading this, I dont appear to have much choice now but to persevere,but I am deeply disappointed.
I have trawled through the forums to cure a few,but the forums are pretty much full of the same problems, fine you guys are trying to offer solutions, but its so confusing, why on earth there has not been an official download for the screen brightness I will never know, just how many N150's were sold? took nearly two hours to get the download to work just to play Flash!!
Sorry for the rant guys, had to type something before I smash it.

mike555
November 2nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
You might try Xubuntu from a live cd, it will be slow till installed but it is lighter than Ubuntu and doesn't use unity , so more stable.

dniMretsaM
November 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I listened to my nephew and installed Ubuntu, apparently its so good I choose the delete Windows option. I hate it, have persevered for over a month now, use it everyday.
Im using a Samsung N150. It ran Windows ok but was at times a little sluggish, start up, shut downs etc were dreadful.
Since loading Ubuntu and especially since last update last week its got bad.
No Flash loaded, no volume, cant adjust screen brightness unless being charged when not charging, permanently dull, mousepad very unresponsive, curser bar slow, unable to adjust mouse speed, when tapping mousepad it acts like right clicking, slow to boot, slow to shutdown, gives a list at point of shutdown what is being closed, the pop out bar on left side keeps staying open,webcam no longer works, the download centre permanently tells me there is a fault and need to manually install but offers no solution, I can go on.
Most of these problems were already there with the last version of Ubuntu.
I would have deleted Ubuntu and reinstalled Windows, but apparently its a mare judging by the volume of options there are, also need oe? disk, my restore is downloaded to an external hard drive and apparently that wont work?
To realise how pixxed I am about loading this, I dont appear to have much choice now but to persevere,but I am deeply disappointed.
I have trawled through the forums to cure a few,but the forums are pretty much full of the same problems, fine you guys are trying to offer solutions, but its so confusing, why on earth there has not been an official download for the screen brightness I will never know, just how many N150's were sold? took nearly two hours to get the download to work just to play Flash!!
Sorry for the rant guys, had to type something before I smash it.

Give the LTS version a try. Much more stable and uses a less buggy interface (the old GNOME 2). Perhaps you will find it more to your liking. Or you could give another version a try like Kubuntu (my personal favorite, but a little heavy on the resource side of things), Xubuntu (my least favorite), or Lubuntu (super fast). Can you give me the exact error the Software Center is giving you? I might be able to help you. As for your problem with Flash, use Flash-Aid (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1491268).

hailtothethief
November 2nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've recently switched xubuntu as well. As far as your (probably not exhaustive) list of problems, I can relate. Ubuntu is awesome if your hardware works out of the box, a nightmare otherwise. Especially as a newcomer it's hard to troubleshoot using the forums because you can't really gauge what is good advice and what... isn't.

Best I can say is try some other ubuntu versions, Lubuntu is another way to go if Xubuntu doesn't do it for you.

As for your display brightness problems try https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/574250/comments/4

If that doesn't help you can always open up a thread and see what happens.

Good luck!

nickleboyblue
November 2nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
In ubuntu, display brightness can usually be controlled using the "function" key (usually next to the windows key) and hitting the key on the keyboard that has the up arrow next to a brightness symbol, which on my computer is F5 and F6. This allows you to control display brightness on the fly.

Sometimes display brightness gets set down when in certain situations. The settings that control this are in two places: power settings and screen saver. By hitting the super or "windows" key, you can open an application search in Unity and type in "power" or "screen saver" and select the programs that come up. Set the settings the way you want them, and you're on your way.

nowad
November 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I genuinely don't want to quit, will post fault log but how?
Ubuntu did another update of bug fix's the other night, 84 of them, now when tapping the scroll pad or rubbing your finger across the scroll pad to select something I get the right click pop up box lol.
The last day I have really tried to commit and sort out some issues, finally got flash up and running.
Started looking for some other bug fix's but to be honest, I have now stopped, appears you do one thing and another starts, its also unbelievably clunky, hangs and slow, click an icon like Chrome and its like a couple of seconds to acknowledge. This was the number one reason I left Windows, supposedly Ubuntu wasn't bloated like Windows.
Also the more I read the more problems you hear, this is the complete opposite to what the Linux magazine says when you get the CD to install, fair it says there are some conflicts, but supposedly easily fixed by the mass of downloads available. If the Editor is reading this or anyone knows him, please forward, I look forward to bumping into him one day with a hammer.
Its made me feel pretty inferior, I'm not green to computer problems but this honestly is a joke.
Decided to make the Samsung redundant, will leave on permanently and just use for browsing the web if I can get through the right click box, will buy a new one and revert back to Windows. You need to be honest with yourselves guys, you may not like it but its plug and play and its ability to switch on and do what you ask it blows Linux out the window.
Forgot to add, have looked at Linux Mint and some others today just to prove I really did want to try, Sorry though, I'm finished with it.

nowad
November 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Yay, link works! Thanks Thief.
Looking for the new right click cure now!!
Okay, I did just try this, someone said to try quitting the new and going simply back to Classic View version 11.04 if im correct.
What a difference. So much quicker, hasn't cured the core problems obviously, but certainly feel happier cruising around this.
Sorry for the rants above, but I think in your hearts we agree on a lot of it. Ubuntu is not a general public release and it shouldn't be promoted like it is.

Mark Phelps
November 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Every time I say something negative here, I run the risk of being flamed ... but so be it!

I've been using Ubuntu daily since 7.04 and, in MY opinion, it gets more unstable and buggy with each new version. If the opposite were true -- if it got LESS buggy and MORE stable, then it stands to reason that soon after a new release, we would see the forum posts, those related to upgrade or install problems, drop off considerably. But that is not the case.

And, this general solution, of folks having to GO BACK to a previous version or a different desktop -- NOT the one that Canonical is promoting -- sends the message that Canonical is listening to their owner, and what HE wants, not to the community and what THEY want.

But anyway, rant over. Just feel bad for all the folks that haven't been around for a while, and get totally hosed by trying out the lastest, and supposedly BEST, Ubuntu version.

Zill
November 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
nowad: Your problems seemed to originate with your choice to delete Windows when you installed Ubuntu. While this may be a good course of action for those of us who have been using Linux systems for years, it is not the best thing for a Linux newbie to do. ;-) There is a large learning curve with all Linux systems and it is therefore prudent for a Windows user to keep a familiar (if flawed!) OS on their machine until they are totally comfortable with using Linux exclusively.

You must remember that Linux is NOT Windows and many things need to be done differently. This link (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) may help explain more about the Linux philosophy.

Regarding your comment that "...Ubuntu is not a general public release and it shouldn't be promoted like it is..." most Linux software is released under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) (or similar) which states...

15. Disclaimer of Warranty.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Having said that, many developers and users spend many hours making GNU/Linux software as reliable and bug-free as possible.

Regarding your specific problems, I would first suggest that the Samsung N150 may be a little underpowered to run the latest version of Ubuntu. All OS's seem to get more bloated with each release and IMHO Ubuntu is no exception. You have already received good advice to use a "lighter" OS, such as Lubuntu.

My second suggestion is that, IMHO, it is not always advisable to use the "latest and greatest" release of any given OS as this is likely to have more bugs than earlier, more mature, releases. In certain circumstances a new release may be desirable - if a particular hardware driver is needed for example. However, I would not recommend a new release to a newbie unless they really want to spend hours learning how to debug their new Linux OS. ;-) The Ubuntu family LTS (long-term support) releases generally offer stability rather than the latest "bells and whistles" - and are therefore ideal for newbies who prefer a system that "just works".

If you persevere and learn the Linux way of doing things I know you will appreciate the virtues of your system in future. However, if this is too daunting then don't worry - Mr Gates is always happy to sell another Windows OS. ;-)

jmajeremy
November 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hey there. I also have a Samsung N150 and until recently had Win7 on it. Switched to Ubuntu, but found it a bit sluggish, so ultimately settled on Xubuntu; I love the look of Xfce and it runs like a dream.

I too originally had some problems, notably with brightness adjustment and weak wifi connections. After installing Linux On My Samsung, most of the issues are resolved...the touchpad can still be a bit glitchy when doing two-finger scrolling, but I'm working on fixing that...

Just open up a terminal and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install easy-slowdown-manager && sudo apt-get install load-acpicpufreq-atboot && sudo apt-get install nvidia-bl-dkms && sudo apt-get install phc-intel && sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight && sudo apt-get install samsung-tools && sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reboot the computer and you should notice some improvements!

As for Flash, you'll need to install the restricted extras. Use the following command:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(or xubuntu-restricted-extras, kubuntu-restricted-extras, etc., depending on which distro you have)

nowad
November 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Im sure we could debate and cross reference ourselves all day long. I understand all your comments, especially someone that's been using Linux for years, you want to protect what you love, especially when the early releases arrived and lots of work was required, prob no different than when I started years ago with Windows, missing drivers etc.
I have known about Linux obviously for years, who hasn't, from general conversations it has always been an excellent OS for lower powered machines as it didn't have the "Windows Bloat-ware", this was the main reason I loaded it and removed Windows (hey you gotta commit).
Surely though, when you get into something as bloated as 11.10 and the Linux mags almost promotes it as open to the general public and virtually problem free, you are gonna end up with trouble like this.
From what I have read over the last weeks, there are problems, and especially this release, and it shouldn't have.
If I wanted less problems I should quit to an older version maybe? But in theory my problems should be less because the older OS is not as bloated?
Im still here, Im still trying, but to be honest, Linux are potentially digging themselves a big problem.
I found the potential in Linux late last night, I wont go into depth, I needed something for a music rip, found the programme, downloaded, didnt work though, but by chance got talking to someone who helped me fix it, cured and using it now. All this for free, okay I could have prob done this via Windows but never this quick and not for free unless your nicking software.
Am I being over critical? I dont think I am. By not giving people warnings you have to expect problems.
Also got to keep the Samsung now as me tumble dryer just went for a Richard Burton!! I may well drop Ubuntu now though and try Xubuntu. Will this go over Ubuntu or duel boot? Will look later.
Anyway, how the hell am I going to cure this right click window coming up when I rub the mouse pad!! Doing my head in.
Good comments though guys. Appreciated.

rojaasensei
November 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hey there. I also have a Samsung N150 and until recently had Win7 on it. Switched to Ubuntu, but found it a bit sluggish, so ultimately settled on Xubuntu; I love the look of Xfce and it runs like a dream.

I too originally had some problems, notably with brightness adjustment and weak wifi connections. After installing Linux On My Samsung, most of the issues are resolved...the touchpad can still be a bit glitchy when doing two-finger scrolling, but I'm working on fixing that...

Just open up a terminal and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install easy-slowdown-manager && sudo apt-get install load-acpicpufreq-atboot && sudo apt-get install nvidia-bl-dkms && sudo apt-get install phc-intel && sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight && sudo apt-get install samsung-tools && sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reboot the computer and you should notice some improvements!

As for Flash, you'll need to install the restricted extras. Use the following command:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(or xubuntu-restricted-extras, kubuntu-restricted-extras, etc., depending on which distro you have)

The above is all too true. It worked for me on my Samsung n150 Plus running Xubuntu (11.04 and 11.10). I finally got my brightness controls back

nowad
November 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
The above is all too true. It worked for me on my Samsung n150 Plus running Xubuntu (11.04 and 11.10). I finally got my brightness controls back

Just installed Xubuntu. Best thing I had done to date. Still just mussing around but havent had a single failure yet.

Have a couple of questions but will thread them correctly.

Rubykuby
November 18th, 2011, 10:28 PM
jmajeremy's post should fix everything. I fixed a similar Samsung netbook with those steps.