PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 11.10 and now annoyed

Meadow of Flowers
November 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Some time ago I upgraded from Ubuntu 10 to 11 and absolutely hated the Unity thing so after seraching for information on this forum on how to remove it, I carefully removed it. Today I upgraded to 11.10 and behold, Unity is back! Wht's more, I now have a 'guest' account that wasn't there before and does not appear in the /etc/passwd file.

How can I remove both PERMANENTLY please?

Oh, and what happened to all the system administration tools please? If I log in with a Gnome session, I now only have Applications and Places and the application icons on the task(quick launch)bar are gone.

vicshrike
November 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
What do you want instead of Unity? Gnome3? Gnome2?

Meadow of Flowers
November 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Yes the current version of Gnome would be fine - just the way it was in Ubuntu 10. Not sure whether it was version 2 or 3, either will do but the latest is probably preferable. Since I'm not using a touch display, Unity does not make sense.

I'm also concerned that the guest account could be used to attack the system. I don't need it so I would like to get rid of it.

raja.genupula
November 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
open your terminal and type
ccsm in the opened window uncheck the unity checkbox , this will switch off the unity.

to delete the unwanted user acounts type

sudo deluser

All the best.

But Gnome-shell is also cool.If you wanna try it you can get from

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

All the best.

Rubi1200
November 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Thread moved.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
install Ubuntu 10.04 :popcorn:
Canonical intends to provide support for Ubuntu 10.04 until April 2013 for the desktop version, and until April 2015 for the server version.

Meadow of Flowers
November 2nd, 2011, 02:58 PM
raja, thanks. Unfortunately the command ccsm does not exist on my system. Aptitude is also broken so I can't don an apt search either. The nearest thing I could come up with is the ConQUAT library of utility functions. Is this the correct thing to install to get the ccsm command?

raja.genupula
November 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
to get that

sudo apt-get install ccsm

Elfy
November 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
The package is compizconfig-settings-manager not ccsm - the command to run it from a terminal is ccsm

Ric_NYC
November 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
install Ubuntu 10.04 :popcorn:
Canonical intends to provide support for Ubuntu 10.04 until April 2013 for the desktop version, and until April 2015 for the server version.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

YEAAAAHHH!!!!

cariboo907
November 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Some time ago I upgraded from Ubuntu 10 to 11 and absolutely hated the Unity thing so after seraching for information on this forum on how to remove it, I carefully removed it. Today I upgraded to 11.10 and behold, Unity is back! Wht's more, I now have a 'guest' account that wasn't there before and does not appear in the /etc/passwd file.

How can I remove both PERMANENTLY please?

Oh, and what happened to all the system administration tools please? If I log in with a Gnome session, I now only have Applications and Places and the application icons on the task(quick launch)bar are gone.

It's pretty easy to set what the default DE is, and to remove the guest account. to set the desktop environment edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and change the following line in [SeatDefaults]:

user-session=ubuntu

change ubuntu to whatever session you want to be the default, for instance you can change it to gnome classic to get the two panel interface.

To remove the guest account from lightdm add the following line in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf [SeatDefaults]:

allow-guest=false

For customizing your Oneiric install have a look at:

omgubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/)

and

webupd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/)

This is more of a support thread, than a recurring discussion.

BrokenKingpin
November 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
What not install one of the Ubuntu derivatives, such as Xubuntu?