PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hibernate problems - Panp8 w/ 11.10

werewolves
November 2nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
I'm having a couple of issues with my brand new Pangolin. Suspend works like a charm (thank God), but hibernate does not. The system acts like it is going to hibernate, but when I power back on, it goes to the login screen as though I had shut down.

The other problem I have is that about half of the time when I unplug from power, I get a warning that I have low battery (even though it was at 100%), and it will hibernate (which of course basically means it has shut down because of issue #1).

Frankly, I can live without hibernate, but the other issue is really annoying. Is there a way to set it to "do nothing" on critical battery? It isn't an option in the dropdown...

Thanks

werewolves
November 2nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
OK, for anyone looking for a solution to part #2 above:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1866533

Still wonder why it won't hibernate...

isantop
November 3rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
Can you check the size of your swap partition versus your RAM? You can look this up in the resources tab of System Monitor.

werewolves
November 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
I'll look up the exact numbers when I get home, but they are approximately the same. Around 6GB each.

werewolves
November 4th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Memory: 6030MB
Swap: 5480MB

Is that enough difference to cause an issue?

werewolves
November 4th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Bump

dFlyer
November 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
My guess is yes if your using all your ram and it needs to be written to the swap space there is not enough room.

werewolves
November 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Nope, increasing the swap so that it is larger than the memory does not help. Still can't return from hibernate.

Any other ideas?

werewolves
November 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hey System76 guys, any thoughts? Thanks.

isantop
November 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The swap being too small was causing your problems earlier.

How did you go about increasing the swap size? What are the sizes at now?

ruediger.kupper
December 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have the same problem as werewolves: My Thinkpad writes hibernation data, but at next startup, this data is not restored. Actually, the boot.log reads:

swapon: /dev/sda6: software suspend data detected. Rewriting the swap signature.
So there is a hibernation image, but it is never restored, just deleted and then a normal boot is performed.

Any idea why this (not) happens?

Regards,
Rüdiger

isantop
December 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I know there are some things in our BIOSes that ensure Hibernate works. I'm not very familiar with ThinkPads, so I can't verify that for you. Have you checked your swap sizes?

ruediger.kupper
December 13th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Yes, swap size is larger than physical memory.

isantop
December 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what would cause that then.