PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recommended Video Editor

Jaybyrrd
November 1st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Ok, so I am a huge fan of Adobe's Premiere Pro, however I no longer have it and was wondering what program would be recommended that has the same kind of power and functionality.

Thanks a ton!

jejeman
November 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Well, the answer would be: none.

I used kdenlive for my last project. From the all the rest it suited me best. And I managed to finish my project.

Stovey
November 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
You could also try "Openshot".

SoFl W
November 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
I used to edit on Premier Pro and Avid years ago.
I have both Kdenlive and OpenShot installed, I bounce between the two.

KDENlive has more features and is probably closer to what you are used to. A lot of features, and looks more professional. Might be over kill for most users.

Openshot is nice, simpler then Kdenlive. The interface seems buggy to me. Tabs don't appear until you hover above them, and other strange problems. I do like it for quick editing, but the interface problems turn me off.

Jaybyrrd
November 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM
So it seems to me that KDENlive is probably the best choice. Nothing beats Premier Pro or CAD editors is what it sounds like though. :( Sad day.

Flaggmann
November 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Haven't tried Openshot but have used kdenlive and am happy with it. Does SD card imports from avchd camcorders nicely as well as recording computer screens for tutorial type videos on programs. Haven't found a windo$e one that will do that for under $400.00.

I have used it on studio 10.10, 10.04 and Linux Mint 11 right off the synaptic package manager and no problems; ubuntu studio 11.11 causing install problems though I. keep getting MLT SDL module missing errors; wouldn't mind an explanation and/or solution to that one though.

I am almost ready to pack windoze in for keeps with libre office, gimp, inkscape, audacity, ardour, and now finally kdenlive can't beat it.

Only thing missing in kdenlive is a few extra title transition template examples.

hope this is a help; and hopefully someone can answer my qqq about the mlt/sdl thanks

I used to edit on Premier Pro and Avid years ago.
I have both Kdenlive and OpenShot installed, I bounce between the two.

KDENlive has more features and is probably closer to what you are used to. A lot of features, and looks more professional. Might be over kill for most users.

Openshot is nice, simpler then Kdenlive. The interface seems buggy to me. Tabs don't appear until you hover above them, and other strange problems. I do like it for quick editing, but the interface problems turn me off.

Stochastic
November 10th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Could I make the suggestion of the Blender video editor? It can be tough to learn for noobs, but those who have worked with NLE software before should have a minor learning curve. Check youtube or the blender site for tutorials.

jejeman
November 10th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Almost imposible to work with video files. Good for work with image sequences.

JayKay3OOO
November 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Kdenlive was prone to random cashes so save often. It's the best you can get for free in linux though.

tehowe
November 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
The Lightworks beta should be out in December. Full fledged Pro NLE.

I finally stumbled across Kdenlive as well after much frustration with PiTiVi and Openshot. It works. I'll be trying Lightworks as soon as I can get my hands on it htough!

Bromden
November 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I've tried most of Open Source video editors and I think the best are OpenShot and Blender.

Cinelerra is probably a powerfull software, but his interface is terrible...I know that a good video editor is hard to realize, but before putting advanced tools it is important to take care of an ergonomic interface.

PitiVi is like Openshot but less stable. The only thing that i prefer of PitiVi over Openshot, is the control of audio volume and transition effects, very similar to Premiere.

KdenLive is great, it's very powerfull but less stable than Openshot (probably because I use it on Ubuntu and not on Kubuntu). It isn't too hard to use and it is the only Open Source video editor with a Composite effect. Unfortunately it is too hard to move the composited videos on the editor, so it's better do it in Blender.

Blender is perfect to make anykind of animation, but it's a bad tool to assemble a video, beacuse it is too slow. So my advice is to use Blender to edit/create the single shots of the video and then assemble them on Openshot with audio and transitions too if you need them.

Openshot is very useful too to make subtitles and any kind of flat writing on video, also because it use inkscape to modify font properties.

Summarizing....

Blender - Video Editing/Creation without audio
KDenlive - Video Editing and easy compositing
Openshot - Final Video and Audio compositing/assemble. Never use the special effects for the titles, they need blender and they are reaaaaaaally sloooooooooooooow.

Additional software needed:
Inkscape - for title/font editing
Audacity - external audio editing

jejeman
November 14th, 2011, 01:30 AM
KdenLive is great, it's very powerfull but less stable than Openshot (probably because I use it on Ubuntu and not on Kubuntu).Well for me (on 3 diffrent pc's and ubuntus) is the other way around. And I don't use kubuntu. Never manage to join 2 clips, it just crashes.