PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pl suggest good vector graphics package

rimibchatterjee
November 1st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Can anyone suggest a good vector graphics package compatible with Ubuntu 11.10? something like adobe Illustrator or corel draw. I have tried using GIMP for making posters but it's a little cumbersome as you have no way of drawing shapes. Either you have to make cumbersome paths and stroke them, or try to fudge it by filling rectangle etc and cutting out the heart. There must be something out there: couldn't find anything suitable in the software centre. If you give me some names I will hunt them out.

Rodney9
November 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
http://inkscape.org/

About Inkscape

An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.

Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more. We also aim to maintain a thriving user and developer community by using open, community-oriented development.

Hylas de Niall
November 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Inkscape is the best vector graphics program on linux!
Another option would be Xara, or you might even try Libre Office Draw?
That last one you probably already have, and although it's no Adobe Illustrator, you will be able to do the shapes you mentioned.

HTH

Lars Noodén
November 1st, 2011, 12:43 PM
A third one, in addition to Inkscape and LibreOffice Draw, would be Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/). It's a bit more of a desktop publishing system but that is still relevant for making posters.

rimibchatterjee
November 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks, people, I have downloaded and installed Inkscape. I had Scribus on my other computer; I used it to typeset and distribute one of my novels online. Must redownload it.
Much obliged 8-)