PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version of UBUNTU is the best for my Laptop

Gavrail
October 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Which version of UBUNTU is the best for my Laptop?

Acer AS7741G-388G64Mn,New design, Intel® Core™ i3 processor 380M (2.53GHz, 3MB Cache), Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset, Video 1GB-DDR3(64*16*8) ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650, DDR III 8GB (4GB+4GB), 17.3" HD+ 1600 x 900 pixel resolution, high-brightness (220-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD, 640GB SATA, DVD+RW SuperMulti, 5-in-1 card reader, 3x USB 2.0 ports, 1.3D Orbicam, HDMI port, Two built-in Acer 3DSonic™ stereo speakers, High-definition audio support, Built-in microphone, MS-Sound compatible, External display (VGA) port; Headphones/ speaker /line-out port; Microphone /line-in jack; DC-in jack for AC adapter, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n, 6-cell LiIon - 3.0-hour battery life 3.3 kg

kaldor
October 31st, 2011, 05:35 PM
Nothing wrong with regular Ubuntu. Your laptop is definitely powerful enough to run it full-on.

The Radeon graphics card has the potential to cause some issues. For me I've had no issues with them, but other people seem to. Just give the Live CD/USB a go.

rmayer32
November 1st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Should have more than enough juice to run any of them I would think.

Linuxisfast
November 1st, 2011, 08:28 AM
You got enough juice to run Kubuntu in its full glory as well.

viperdvman
November 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
I would say that Ubuntu's Unity and Kubuntu's KDE Plasma use up about the same power nowadays. Even the newest GNOME 3.x (which can be installed on the lastest Ubuntu from the Software Center) is rather heavy on resources compared to the older GNOME 2.x and Xfce. So pretty much any Ubuntu will work well with your laptop. It all boils down to which desktop environment you want to run.

If you want a more traditional desktop, then go with Kubuntu. If you feel like being adventurous with a different desktop experience, go with regular Ubuntu. But install the 64-bit version of either so you can utilize all of your RAM.

I've played with both Ubuntu's Unity and Kubuntu's KDE Plasma, and both are really good desktop environments with plenty of eye candy and functionality. I run the older GNOME 2.x on my Ubuntu 11.04, mainly because it's very customizable. But believe it or not, I actually downloaded KDE Plasma to my Ubuntu.

That's the nice thing about Ubuntu. It doesn't really matter much which Ubuntu you download, as you can add desktop environments to it. All you have to choose is whoch one suits you best. :)