PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz removed my sidebar...

tomp_79
October 31st, 2011, 09:21 AM
Installed compiz beacause I wanted to change the size of the sidebar in Ubuntu 11.10. But of some reason it disappered along with the menubar in the top right corner.

How can I get it back?!

Thankfull

beew
October 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM
What do you mean by "installed Compiz"?? Compiz is installed already because Unity is Compiz! Ok, more accurately Unity is a Compiz feature(plugin).

gandaran
October 31st, 2011, 10:36 AM
Installed compiz beacause I wanted to change the size of the sidebar in Ubuntu 11.10. But of some reason it disappered along with the menubar in the top right corner.

How can I get it back?!

Thankfull
you mean installed 'compiz settings manager' as compiz is already installed and running.
the same happened to me opening compiz settings manager, the computer froze and when rebooted all it displayed was the wallpaper only
I fixed the problem quickly by deleting the home user compiz configuration folders using another version of ubuntu installed on the same computer but this can be done too by login to unity 2D or gnome classic
or if you can get to a terminal try runnig

unity --reset
unity --replace

Eudaimon
November 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM

How can I get it back?!

Thankfull
Tomp,

Same thing happened to me as I was trying to activate "hot corners" with Compiz settings manager. For some reason there is a bug between Compiz Settings Manager and 11.10 Ocelot, often shown in these forums.

Follow the instructions above, and there are others as well who have workarounds. Then forget about Compiz Settings Manager. I decided to forget about hot corners and simply forced myself to use the keyboard shortcuts rather than hot corners. that's my best advice haha.

Eudaimon