PDA

View Full Version : has anyone made a program for this?

flyingsliverfin
October 31st, 2011, 01:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a program to switch radio stations when ads start playing?
I was just listening to the radio while working on something that required both hands and was annoyed I couldn't switch during the 3 minutes of ads that played nonstop...

I guess this would mostly require sound analysis... not that I have a clue about that.

Just an idea I wanted to throw out there.

11jmb
October 31st, 2011, 02:50 AM
As far as signal processing routines that can determine whether or not a broadcast is a commercial, certainly not.

I know that many FM radio broadcast systems have a small piece of spectrum for digital transmission which will sometimes say the artist and song (It's called RBDS). I do not know how often these packets are sent, but these may be used for such a program. I have never heard of such a program, though.

rlwpub
October 31st, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yes. It's called subscribe to XM or Sirius radio. :)

Could not resist. :)

trent.josephsen
October 31st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Use Pandora? Even with the free version you won't get three minutes of ads at a time.

If the issue really is hands-free channel changing, you could always make a device that changes the channel when you whistle. You'd have to make sure it wasn't likely to happen by accident, though. (Warning, maybe my engineering background is making this seem easier than it would actually be.)

Lampi
October 31st, 2011, 03:31 PM
TANSTAAFL comes to my mind ... but if it bothers you this much: why don't you timeshift the playback - can't be that big of a deal with a simple audio playback?