PDA

View Full Version : presentation on windows vs linux

getanshub4u
October 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Well, i'm going to open a linux club in my college soon andone of my initial presentations will point out how ubuntu/linux clearly scores over windows
Now my ppt has to be a really cool one (audience being college students) and the facts should be really strong enough to initiate conversion.
I have gathered a few strong facts regarding open source and linux vs windows but i'll be quite grateful if someone can help me out by posting some links to some sites or preferably some ppt slides....................................:)
Also please hint some cool looking ppt backgrounds

P.S:-I have already googled for the phrase "windows vs linux" and went through a lot of ppts n pdfs but all are almost the same.

scrogster
October 31st, 2011, 03:47 AM
The best advertisement you could give for linux is to produce an impressive presentation without using powerpoint! Impress (part of Open office) and Latex/beamer are both great ways of doing this. Good luck!

PGScooter
October 31st, 2011, 07:44 AM
I'm very interested in this for similar reasons.

Give a few broad selling points and also give a lot of very quick, COOL things. Give them some nice compiz eye candy (rotating cube, etc.). They love that.

Because most of the software is free, it can be maintained by one central location. The whole system can be updated and still ensure than everything works. It's like Windows update, but better because it not only updates the OS, but all of the programs on it too, and it's all seamlessly integrated.

Maybe don't scare them too much with the terminal, but if you do something in the terminal, give them some nice one liners. Are you presenting to CS students or to whom?

Please post what ideas you currently have or found.

I would go easy on the philosophy... most students aren't going to adopt Linux for only philosophical reasons. Give them some good advantages.

getanshub4u
October 31st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot PGScooter for your recommendations.
I have kept the same things in mind.
I will concentrate on the software packages (coz thats what the people usually spend a lot of time on),
minimal use of terminal-linux can be used by noobs even :p,
desktop customizability of linux(gnome+compiz, kde plasma, enlightment)-more beautiful than windows/mac,
various possible choices(ubuntu,kubuntu,fedora,etc)
open source(describing closed source as evil at the same time :p)
and pointing out various drawbacks of windows/mac(e.g. BSOD,software installaltion, rolling updates, etc).
Well,the audience will be a mix of all branches(CS,IT,Electrical,Civil,etc).

Actually, I have seen a lot of steve jobs' presentations and i love the dark backgrounds,large fonts and cool animations and i intend to create a simlar looking ppt.I may not be as good a presenter as he was but at least I can create a similar presentation.
any recommendations!!!

11jmb
October 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
The best advertisement you could give for linux is to produce an impressive presentation without using powerpoint!

+1

A big selling point for linux is assuring people that they will still be able to do everything they use a computer for with little adaptation. (Most users really only use browsers, chat clients, and MS Office anyway)

However, you are not going to be able to make a good sales pitch by advertising that something is "just as good". IMHO the best thing about linux, and particularly Ubuntu, is the community. No operating system is bug-free. The thing that sets linux apart is that you can go online and quickly get great answers on how to solve your own problems, instead of leaving it up to a "genius"

bob-linux-user
October 31st, 2011, 02:53 PM
You could point out that sometimes command line is easier than browsing. For example

sudo apt-get install application123 in a terminal can be easier than :
Browse to...website for download
double click on exe file...
Press button to go for option..
dont install ... so press...

etc etc

PGScooter
November 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Here's another thread on this topic, although it's targetted at a computer science club I think:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872863&highlight=netflix

I like the idea of showing them the dual boot. That way, they can still play a certain game or can take their time switching.

getanshub4u
November 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Can u provide links to some videos i could show?
well, i've the official ubuntu videos and some from the linux foundation but i would like a more detailed one

ballantony
November 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Three big selling points for non techies are it starts quickly, it shuts down quickly and it runs on older machines. I finally abandoned Windows when my Vista system took four minutes to boot and I was about to reinstall it yet again just so I could log in in a reasonable amount of time.

PGScooter
November 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Three big selling points for non techies are it starts quickly, it shuts down quickly and it runs on older machines. I finally abandoned Windows when my Vista system took four minutes to boot and I was about to reinstall it yet again just so I could log in in a reasonable amount of time.

Fair, but you need to compare Ubuntu to Windows 7.

PGScooter
November 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Can u provide links to some videos i could show?
well, i've the official ubuntu videos and some from the linux foundation but i would like a more detailed one

there are tons of videos. Search on youtube either using the codenames of Ubuntu if you want a specific version, or just put in something like "Ubuntu screencast" like so:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ubuntu+screencast&page=&utm_source=opensearch

bluexrider
November 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'm sure you thought about the WOW factor with the rotating cube and all. But in my business I make everything relative to cost.

Windows $299 Ubuntu $0
Virus Protection $99 Ubuntu $0
Office $199 Ubuntu $0

Windows reinstall every 6 months
Ubuntu install once

Windows apps cost Major Dollars
Ubuntu apps are FREE

Get my Picture, plus the great support.

Good Luck

Stovey
November 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Three big selling points for non techies are it starts quickly, it shuts down quickly and it runs on older machines....

Yeah, you could impress everyone by beginning your presentation by turning your laptop on, and showing everyone the rapid boot sequence.

ronnystickshift
November 4th, 2011, 02:20 AM
i second the motion for using beamer, it's totally awesome. i started using it about a year ago, and haven't used anything else since :)

Witch Lady
November 4th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Fair, but you need to compare Ubuntu to Windows 7.

No. You need to compare to windows 7 AND 8. They have to know that the catchy improvements of win 8 were implemented even before by other companies/OSes. Otherwise they won't have the full view.

I'm sure you thought about the WOW factor with the rotating cube and all. But in my business I make everything relative to cost.

Windows $299 Ubuntu $0
Virus Protection $99 Ubuntu $0
Office $199 Ubuntu $0

Windows reinstall every 6 months
Ubuntu install once

Windows apps cost Major Dollars
Ubuntu apps are FREE

Get my Picture, plus the great support.

Good Luck

That's just stereotypical point of view and a propaganda. Office-like suite can both cost $0 both on Win and Ubu. Libre & Open Office are multiplatform. It's not like the Windows apps always cost a lot (there are also free apps) and it's not true that all the Ubu apps are free (check the Ubu software centre). I think it should be stressed out that Ubu doiesn't only have free apps made by hobbysts but also professional, commercial apps.

Yeah, you could impress everyone by beginning your presentation by turning your laptop on, and showing everyone the rapid boot sequence.

+1.

Thanks a lot PGScooter for your recommendations.
I have kept the same things in mind.
I will concentrate on the software packages (coz thats what the people usually spend a lot of time on),
minimal use of terminal-linux can be used by noobs even :p,
desktop customizability of linux(gnome+compiz, kde plasma, enlightment)-more beautiful than windows/mac,
various possible choices(ubuntu,kubuntu,fedora,etc)
open source(describing closed source as evil at the same time :p)
and pointing out various drawbacks of windows/mac(e.g. BSOD,software installaltion, rolling updates, etc).
Well,the audience will be a mix of all branches(CS,IT,Electrical,Civil,etc).

Actually, I have seen a lot of steve jobs' presentations and i love the dark backgrounds,large fonts and cool animations and i intend to create a simlar looking ppt.I may not be as good a presenter as he was but at least I can create a similar presentation.
any recommendations!!!

First of all, don't concentrate on drawbacks of the rivals. Present them the advantages of Ubu (Linux) in another light. Like: You can install software from the repository instead of looking for the file over internet. Show them that this is an alternative to Win/Mac (thinking differently, creativity, etc.) not the OS for the poor. And probably most of all, tell them that some programs are multiplatform so they can still use it, but they should be ready to use different programs instead of trying to use Windows programs/games.
Ah, and show them some games too ;)

Closed source is not the devil, open source = thinking differently. Both has advantages and disadvantages (you could explain it a bit).

Remember,m that Ubuntu is not ideal OS, and has advantages and disadvantages. If you would be sincere and do not "improve the reality" they should have quite an objective view on Linux.

+1

A big selling point for linux is assuring people that they will still be able to do everything they use a computer for with little adaptation. (Most users really only use browsers, chat clients, and MS Office anyway)

However, you are not going to be able to make a good sales pitch by advertising that something is "just as good". IMHO the best thing about linux, and particularly Ubuntu, is the community. No operating system is bug-free. The thing that sets linux apart is that you can go online and quickly get great answers on how to solve your own problems, instead of leaving it up to a "genius"

It's not "just as", it's different. And no, community based help can be a real pain in the ***. Especially over the internet/forums. You can see examples even here. With things like "Linux is not for you, go back to Windows" many people are showed off (not pointing to anybody in particular, nor any particular forum, but I've read this sentence too many times). Besides, yeah, you could get help with MANY of your problems, if they are typical. Anything less typical means you may be left with the problem for years, unless it will be somehow solved (by chance, by change of software, etc.)

Believe it or not, but there are many windows-forums when the users are really helping each other. On these forums there is a helpful community as well. Dunno how it's on Mac forums. Well, in Ubu you also have a genius - Marc - who controls them all. ;)

getanshub4u
November 9th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks,Witch Lady.
Your perspective is quite different and nice........
I'll keep them in mind.
thanks a lot again :)

Witch Lady
November 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
You're welcome.

Do write how the presentation went.

PGScooter
November 11th, 2011, 05:19 AM
You're welcome.

Do write how the presentation went.

+1

or maybe even post the presentation? It would be cool if there was some centralized effort. I'm sure many people have faced similar situation. Each situation is specific because each audience is different, but an archive of presentations would be a great resource.

getanshub4u
November 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Everyone,please suggest a name and tagline for the club.
I'll be concentrating on 3 things in the club:-
1.Operating Systems
2.Open Source
3.Networking

My friends are suggesting the name iCLUB-sharing technology.
But it seems so "apple"ish..!!!

Georgia boy
November 12th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Everyone,please suggest a name and tagline for the club.
I'll be concentrating on 3 things in the club:-
1.Operating Systems
2.Open Source
3.Networking

My friends are suggesting the name iCLUB-sharing technology.
But it seems so "apple"ish..!!!

Whatever you do, don't use the "i" bit. Like you said, sounds like an Apple spin off. Also show how fast Ubuntu shuts down. I always hated how Windows shuts down too.

Sightes
November 12th, 2011, 08:28 PM
nice post ...personally , i prefer ubuntus , cause is more faster , can be installed more desktop that ubuntus defaul desktop , like, openbox (i use for make the simulations more faster xD , mmmm is friendly with the user , can be do anything , and ...the best part for me ....can be boot from any device :D like external hd ....:guitar:

Chronon
November 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I think it should be stressed out that Ubu doiesn't only have free apps made by hobbysts but also professional, commercial apps.
I agree with most of your post, but this bit seems to present a bit of a false dichotomy.

Witch Lady
November 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I agree with most of your post, but this bit seems to present a bit of a false dichotomy.

No, it's just an answer to a "made by geeks" software stereotype regarding Linux. Some people are saying that they feel better when companies make software, also a paid one cause they can trust their desire to earn as much money as possible (therefore they will care & polish their product). This is not necessarily the truth, but...

Also, many people think that when they have to pay for something, it's of a better quality than the free product.

You say false dichotomy, but probably there is no software developed professionally which doesn't have funds from commerce or services. There has to be some kind of payment involved, otherwise there wouldn't be hired (paid) developers working onb the project. Some may use the free (basic) version but pay for advanced version or for support or anything else.

Chronon
November 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
No, it's just an answer to a "made by geeks" software stereotype regarding Linux. Some people are saying that they feel better when companies make software, also a paid one cause they can trust their desire to earn as much money as possible (therefore they will care & polish their product). This is not necessarily the truth, but...

Also, many people think that when they have to pay for something, it's of a better quality than the free product.

You say false dichotomy, but probably there is no software developed professionally which doesn't have funds from commerce or services. There has to be some kind of payment involved, otherwise there wouldn't be hired (paid) developers working onb the project. Some may use the free (basic) version but pay for advanced version or for support or anything else.
Yes, the programmers creating commercial software have been paid to do so. However, people also get paid (in some cases) to create free software too. The existence of even a single person being paid to create free software means that assuming that it is a choice between commercial software created by professionals and free software created by hobbyists is a false dichotomy (i.e. other choices exist).

Witch Lady
November 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, the programmers creating commercial software have been paid to do so. However, people also get paid (in some cases) to create free software too. The existence of even a single person being paid to create free software means that assuming that it is a choice between commercial software created by professionals and free software created by hobbyists is a false dichotomy (i.e. other choices exist).

We know that other choices exist but this isn't necessarily the common knowledge. I was relating to stereotypes.