PDA

View Full Version : [other] Beginner at Computer Building

guthriearmstrong
October 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I just joined the forums, because I'm building a new computer to host a server on, but I'm completely stuck. I've never done this before, so I've been doing everything based on this (http://www.buildacomputerguide.com/getting-started.html) guide.

I'm stuck at Step 11, at the quick power up test. I've put the motherboard in, hooked it up to the power supply (500 watts) which came pre-installed into the case, installed a graphics card, installed the two sticks of RAM, and hooked up the wires (as well as I could figure them out).

Just a note, I haven't installed a CD-ROM drive, a hard drive, or a monitor yet. I tried turning it on, but absolutely nothing happened. No fans did anything, even the one attached to the power supply.

Again, I'm completely new to this. The friends I have that do these kinds of things have told me to make sure all the wires are in place, and to try reinstalling the RAM. I did both, I tried turning on the computer with only one stick of RAM, but still nothing.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? :confused:

hwttdz
October 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Do you have any power indicators on on the motherboard? And not to imply anything, but it never hurts to check that 1) power cord is plugged into the wall, 2) power supply is in "on" state.

There are quite a few cables that if you miss the cpu won't do anything sometimes because there's not a complete circuit, but like the cpu fan, if it's not connected the cpu generally won't even attempt to boot.