PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 is freezing

Jon Anderson
October 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a program to try

khelben1979
October 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
In some cases, heat issues causes software freezes. So have you considered it's not a software issue which is causing this? Bad video drivers can also cause this.

Some have reported that the new unity interface can cause problems, and in that case, you should take a look at the video drivers and or turn off the Unity interface (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29) from your Ubuntu system.

gandaran
October 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a program to try
the freezes could be due to anything, hardware or some incompatibility between hardware and drivers or just some application, try watching carefully what you where doing when the freezes happen, in my case on this desktop I also have freezes but only when using bluetooth and if I happen to open compiz settings manager otherwise everything works nicely.

Jon Anderson
October 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM
the freezes could be due to anything, hardware or some incompatibility between hardware and drivers or just some application, try watching carefully what you where doing when the freezes happen, in my case on this desktop I also have freezes but only when using bluetooth and if I happen to open compiz settings manager otherwise everything works nicely.******************Thanks for the response this has been a ongoing problem for more then a year ,done just about everything. but I remember one of the first things I did a year ago was turn off a few programs that were sometimes a issue but I can't remember what they were.

Drowz0r
October 30th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'd bring up system monitor and see where your memory/CPU usage is going. It's basically task manager for ubuntu.

mbn18
October 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM
After I upgrade my Ubuntu from 11.04 to 11.10 I had the following issue.

My upgrade Ubuntu 11.10 kept freezing randomly.
Had long delays while booting.
Shutdown kept freezing from time to time

I have no idea why. I explored the forum and net with no luck and the syslog was not useful in discovering the cause. My hardware is quite decent. Intel 930 I7 and gigabyte MB + 8GB RAM.

I did solved the problem by installing the server kernel

sudo apt-get install linux-image-3.0.0-12-server linux-headers-3.0.0-12-server

Now its the second day without any freeze. The boot still has long delays, though I can live with it.

Hopes it helps :D

Rodnox
October 31st, 2011, 10:03 PM
The Question is: are these freezings permanent or do they disappear when you move the mouse/touchpad?

Johnny3
October 31st, 2011, 10:58 PM
******************Thanks for the response this has been a ongoing problem for more then a year ,done just about everything. but I remember one of the first things I did a year ago was turn off a few programs that were sometimes a issue but I can't remember what they were.
Have you tried blowing the dust out. Install Xsensors and see what the temperatures are. Did you upgrade or do a fresh install? If you did and upgrade try a fresh install. You could disable sound in BIOS to see if it is sound card. Just use the default video driver.
Good Luck and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

kbigdelysh
November 1st, 2011, 03:29 AM
Since I updated my ubuntu to 11.1, I have had 2 occurrences of freezing. It is not actually a complete freeze however my mouse pointer and other things freezes for 30 sec and then I can move my mouse for 10 sec and again it freezes for about 30 secs. finally, I have to restart my computer(with restart button, to be able to work normally again).

I did not have this problem before upgrading to version 11.1.

My computer specifications:
Memory : 15.7 GiB
Processor : Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8
Disk: 2.0 TB