PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Canon EOS software to Wine

Gordon Ramel
October 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Can somebody tell me how I can install my Canon EOS software/tools. I have Wine working and the C-drive is there - but when I try to install the software it runs to the end and then says sorry the install failed.

Please don't suggest I use other Linux compatible software, none of the stuff available comes even close to the versatility and functionality that comes with the canon software when dealing with RAW CR2.

Also can somebody tell me how to stop the screen being locked down and needing my password every time I go to the loo, answer the door or make a cup of coffee

Here is a quick resume of 7 hours work with graphics yesterday and this morning.

Acquire images - not tested.
Camera - doesn't do anything - camera on, camera off makes no difference - it does nothing.
Digikam - Loads well by then requires a separate window to edit (messy) and limited functionality in raw - no sharpening, no crop.
Gimp - refuses to open raw files.
Raw Studio - open thumbnails OK but the working window image is a complete mess - totally unrecognisable, a blurred refracted colour blob with no details, wrong shape even. 100% unusable.
Shotwell - Doesn't claim to be an image editor so obviously it isn't - no problem
UFraw - has no thumbnail window making it very difficult to select the correct image you want to work on - adjustments are good except the crop facility which does not allow you to select the area to be cropped with the cursor - using the scrolling system is mindlessly slow and it has no sharpening facility.. Using the 'Open with Gimp' button gets you an error message from Gimp and closes UFraw - most frustrating.

PhilGil
October 30th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Take a look at the bottom of this page for instructions:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7813

That being said, those instructions look pretty daunting to me (and I'm no longer a Linux noob).

I know you specifically said you didn't want any Linux alternatives, but I wouldn’t be a good advocate if I didn't suggest a couple more :) .

- You need to install gimp-ufraw to open RAW files in GIMP. Unfortunately, it will still open the ufraw interface, which I agree is confusing and lacking in functionality.

- I noticed you did not try Raw Therapee. It's by far my favorite RAW converter. It should be available in the software center.

- Darktable (http://www.darktable.org/) is a new RAW editor that's been receiving a lot of praise. It may not be available in the Software Center, but there is a ppa available on the website.

Gordon Ramel
October 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks Phil,
Thanks for the reply I had a look and I don't think I am up to work arounds for installing. I went and got Darktable, but couldn't find Raw Therapee in the software centre under Graphics/Photography or Graphics/Viewers but I did find it when I looked at 'All'- somebody needs to update their tables. And then I found DarkTable there as well. I admit they both work, which DarkRoom (another raw program I found) doesn't. Dark table will take me more time to get used to - it is very different. In Raw Therapee I don't like that the crop is restricted to 3:2 horizontal, DPP is definitely much more usable. I'm not sure where to go from here. I would be running Linux with Windows as a dual system but although the CD rom I bought had that option on the first showing it didn't offer it again after I had had a look at Linux from the CD -

Anyway thanks for your time.