PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Remove USB HDD

PAleksandrov
October 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
How to safely remove USB hard disk drive? Is it necessary to turn off a HDD? Earlier it was possible to write 'off' to 'power/level' in sysfs. As I have understand, now it is not possible. When I write '1' to 'remove' in sysfs ('bus/usb/...'), the indicator on the HDD turns off, but the disk continues rotating (I hear the sound when I bring the HDD to my hear). Commands 'hdparm -yY /dev/sdf', 'eject /dev/sdf' and 'eject -s /dev/sdf' doesn't make the disk stop rotating.

haqking
October 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
How to safely remove USB hard disk drive? Is it necessary to turn off a HDD? Earlier it was possible to write 'off' to 'power/level' in sysfs. As I have understand, now it is not possible. When I write '1' to 'remove' in sysfs ('bus/usb/...'), the indicator on the HDD turns off, but the disk continues rotating (I hear the sound when I bring the HDD to my hear). Commands 'hdparm -yY /dev/sdf', 'eject /dev/sdf' and 'eject -s /dev/sdf' doesn't make the disk stop rotating.

eject or umount (safely remove option)

USB drives tend to cache before a final write so just unplugging can result in corruption

PAleksandrov
October 29th, 2011, 07:08 PM
eject or umount (safely remove option)

USB drives tend to cache before a final write so just unplugging can result in corruption

Does umount command has a special safely remove option?
Unmounting doesn't make the disk stop rotating? Is it safe to physically unplug the HDD cable from USB port when the disk is rotating (even when all partitions on the disk are unmounted)?