PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Titlebars, top panel, everything missing in GNOME

SPARTAN-118
October 28th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'd take a picture, but as ALL shortcut keys currently do not work (including Alt+F2), I will just have to try and use words.

Basically, I was using gnome-tweak or Advanced Settings or whatever you want to call it to change the window border to something more of my liking, ie, something other than Adwaita. I remembered that you had to restart the gnome shell or something to get the new borders to appear, so first I tried running "rt" with Alt+F2. However, nothing happened. So then I tried "r" or "restart" in the Run Command prompt, and can you guess what happened?

I lost all window borders, the top panel, menus, everything. In order to launch anything at all, first I have to go to File->New Window (apparently file menus for individual programs still work, so I can still launch a new Nautilus/File Manager window). Then, I have to search for the program (typically Terminal, as you can run everything from there). Keep in mind, Alt+F2, Alt+Tab, basically everything that relies on a keyboard shortcut does not work. Though, I can still close windows/programs using Alt+F4, but that's the only way to switch focus to another "window". (I can still drag Google Chrome around, however.)

I am still able to log into a Unity or GNOME Classic (no effects) session, but I would really rather not use Unity if at all possible, and I would really like my GNOME 3 back.

Copper Bezel
October 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I had this happen to me, too, after trying a broken theme. Logging into Unity and switching the theme back fixed it, and I was able to log into Shell normally.

SPARTAN-118
October 29th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Darn, so I do have to go back into Unity, huh? Well, I suppose I can bear with the slowness just until I fix my mistake...

Linux is not for the faint of heart, indeed.

EDIT: Thanks, that did it! Now, if I ever mess up anything to do with the windows/theme again, I'll know what to do!

Just one question before I mark this thread as solved.

Why did GNOME do that; why didn't the shell restart properly, as it should have upon entering the commands "rt" and "restart"?

EDIT: And, it did it again. This time, I didn't even bother manually restarting the shell; I just logged out, then logged back in again. The same thing happened: no titlebars, no panel, just the Desktop and Nautilus. Seems I'm really not supposed to mess with the Window Decorations at all, huh? (Besides adding Minimize/Maximize buttons, that is.)