PDA

View Full Version : List of whitelisted websites for 4-year old?

Brian Boyko
October 28th, 2011, 04:29 PM
My friend's kid is about 4 years old, and I was thinking about getting him an older laptop and loading up Ubuntu on it.

I'm hesitant, however, about giving a 4 year old complete access to the Internet, yet, I want him to be able to see educational websites and the like.

Is there a good "whitelist" of websites that are age-appropriate for a 4-year old anywhere, that I could plug into a hosts file? Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate censorship with a passion, because it reduces the adult population to have conversations only fit for children; but in this case, this is an actual child.

I'd like him to be able to access Netflix to watch Blues Clues, the Sesame Street site, etc.

I also will not be giving him root access to install programs. He can learn to install his own programs when he's old enough to figure out how to download and burn a LiveCD, reformat the drive, and give himself administrative access.

11jmb
October 28th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I've never heard of a solution like that before. I would recommend just making your own and keeping it updated.

On a more personal note, I think its awesome that you are interested in getting young kids into technology. A "whitelist" will allow him to explore more as he gets comfortable. Also, this allows you to corrupt him into a linux user at a young age :biggrin:

SeijiSensei
October 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Take a look at OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/home). That's probably the simplest solution.