PDA

View Full Version : Icons at the bottom (not left side)

VinDSL
October 28th, 2011, 08:57 AM
(Click images to expand)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011.png)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011-2(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011-2.png)

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011-3(650x520).png (http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-desktop-28-oct-2011-3.png)

vicshrike
October 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Very nice, but a little bit too colorful for my personal taste.

MacUntu
October 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Did you change that? Is that a merge proposal? What, when, why? Please explain. ;-)

Also, how will this work with multi-monitor setups?

gsmanners
October 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Goodness gracious. What an incredibly distracting desktop! I don't think I'd ever get any work done if my desktop looked like that.

VinDSL
October 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Come on, cousins!

I was talking about the icons being on the bottom, instead of the side.

Everyone has been complaining about the left-side placement for months!

Must look pretty natural... LoL! :D

sparker256
October 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Come on, cousins!

Ok how did you do that? :confused: When I looked at your first post that is what first came to my mind is how did he get the icons on the bottom.

Thanks Bill

Hylas de Niall
October 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
That is one sexy-looking desktop!
How much of it is be standard PP? I'm guessing that Conky and the icon theme are your own enhancements?
(where can i get that icon theme for OO?)

dino99
October 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
***Everyone has been complaining about the left-side placement for months!

maybe a few, but not everyone. As users mostly use 16/9 display(s), having icons on the left side is a better choice to get a wider free space for working.

(but you are sure not working dont you ?)

alphacrucis2
October 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Have a look at the webupd8 blog (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-to-move-unity-launcher-to-bottom-of.html). Quite a lot of bugs in it though and the current version works for 32 bit only

mrgs
October 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Changed the title to a more descriptive one.

moldaviax
October 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just give me menus back :)

M.

philinux
October 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
***Everyone has been complaining about the left-side placement for months!

maybe a few, but not everyone. As users mostly use 16/9 display(s), having icons on the left side is a better choice to get a wider free space for working.

(but you are sure not working dont you ?)

I prefer them at the side especially on my netbook where vertical space is limited. That being said I think a user should have a choice.

dino99
October 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I prefer them at the side especially on my netbook where vertical space is limited. That being said I think a user should have a choice.

for sure, i does not like others making choices for me

jerrylamos
October 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Me too. This is a netbook. It's short on vertical space. 1024 x 600.

And even on my notebook, 1366 x 768, it's got more room on the sides than vertically.

My tower at 1440 x 900 is better, but really has more space on the sides.

Now this whole thing about the "launcher" is in my opinion "dumbing down" the desktop chewing up lots of space with pictures that don't mean a thing to me, and I have to hover the mouse over the picture to get some idea of what it is from the text.

The Phoenicians and the Greeks with the alphabet were/are a huge advance in communication over the Egyptian hieroglyphs. Pretty, use up lots of space, and how do you translate them?

Now having said that, I do use Ocelot most of the time, Lynx LTS sometimes because it seems to be definitely faster for downloads & managing .iso's. Ocelot is a bit better at handling Firefox top line, I lose 3 lines of text URL, tabs, max/min/close while on Lynx I lose 4 lines.

Ocelot with its BFB is a whole lot more time consuming to find applications and settings than Lynx.

Only "poll" numbers I've seen, I think on Planet Ubuntu, showed much less penetration of Ubuntu since "Unity".

Jerry

Quackers
October 28th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Looks pretty good to me dude :-) But there again, I wouldn't have a netbook thrown at me, much less use one :-) (and I prefer gnome-shell anyway ;) )
I've seen lots of requests about moving the launcher bar (if that's what it's called) since unity first appeared.

VinDSL I see you've not yet moved to accuweather or other, with the impending charges at weather.com

effenberg0x0
October 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
The Phoenicians and the Greeks with the alphabet were/are a huge advance in communication over the Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Icons are a true challenge IMHO. Creating an icon that really gets into people subconscious is not an easy task. And if the icon changes frequently, there's no way to succeed. It's exactly like designing a company logo. People that can do that are worth big money.

Some icons took decades to become part of our lives. Like, for example, see the icons of a stereo (Play, Stop, Pause, Rewind, FastForward, Previous, Next, etc) they can be printed at any media device / control, using mostly any styling, and yet most people will be able to identify them. They are regarded by some as the most successful icons ever created.

If you think about it, some OSs and applications still use text right below to the icon. No one really needs to read the text below Microsoft Word icon every day. But your brain sees the text a gazillion times, associates the text to it's meaning and to the icon, until the text its not necessary anymore. Then you can restyle the icon, etc, but people's brains are already familiar to that content.

The only Icons that are usually like that in a Linux distro (for me) are the one for Text Editor, Terminal, File Explorer, Calculator, etc. And that's because they are very similar to what they have been for all OSs during the last who knows how many years. We used those same icons, with different styling, in Windows 3.1 and OS/2, etc.

But when you think about the apps we have today on a distro, there's no way to create such strong icons, that will get imprinted in peoples brains. I mean, try to think of a strong and meaningful icon for every Linux app you use. It's hard. And, in parallel, there seems to be small effort in the sense of making icons endure throughout versions, and just change their styling.

gsmanners
October 28th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Some icons took decades to become part of our lives. Like, for example, see the icons of a stereo (Play, Stop, Pause, Rewind, FastForward, Previous, Next, etc) they can be printed at any media device / control, using mostly any styling, and yet most people will be able to identify them. They are regarded by some as the most successful icons ever created.

That might have been because those symbols were used on every tape and eight-track player that was ever produced (and thus became a kind of de facto standard for that type of appliance). :guitar:

effenberg0x0
October 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
That might have been because those symbols were used on every tape and eight-track player that was ever produced (and thus became a kind of de facto standard for that type of appliance). :guitar:

Exactly, thats what I mean. They meant nothing for anyone at some point in time but, being used in all media capable devices released by all brands, all over the world, for who knows many years and, most importantly, with minor changes in the style of the icons, they became the standard, known by anyone, from anywhere in the world. Language / cultural aspects becomes unimportant, etc. You don't need to write "play" under, aside or below the play icon.

In a much smaller scale, but still successful, we have the notepad/gedit, word/excel, calculator, etc icons. These only change in style between OSs and distros.

But what about the CompizConfig-Settings-Manager icon? :) And gparted?

PaulInBHC
October 29th, 2011, 02:32 AM
You don't need to write "play" under, aside or below the play icon.

But I still need a tool tip to remind me what it is. Just put in a delay so that it doesn't annoy people that don't need it.

effenberg0x0
October 29th, 2011, 02:40 AM
That's exactly my point actually. Not all icons are as known to almost the entire humanity like play, stop, notepad, excel, etc. Some, like the thousands of other Linux applications, will need some description. Better and more consistent icon work would be important for all projects, but that's impossible in the FOSS world.

But, considering Unity does provide beautiful tooltips on hover as it is today, I guess it covers users needs. Not the same as having the icon name text on screen 100% of time, but I don't see how that could be done in current layout anyway.

kaldor
October 29th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Come on, cousins!

I love this. I want the ability to shrink it into a traditional (OS X) style dock though.

philinux
October 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Just seen this. Compiz plugin.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-to-move-unity-launcher-to-bottom-of.html

MacUntu
October 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I can understand the wish to move it to the right hand side, but the bottom seems just like a big waste of space (it would occupy almost 82% more space than the vertical version on my 16:9 display).

Yfrwlf
April 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Having an option for the dock on the bottom would be great. It would be great for desktops. More space for your program launcher icons. For anyone complaining about the space in that scenario, remember that there is a size slider for the dock in the appearance settings. Additionally, you can make it auto-hide.

I'm really happy there is a size adjustment for the dock at least, though I wish there was for the rest of Gnome (Unity is Gnome, it uses the Gnome code base). Why does Gnome have to be so gigantic in comparison to KDE, Windows, and other environments? At least give the option it scale it down. It's sad having a 1920x1200 monitor and to barely be able to fit to web browsers side-by-side on it just because Gnome is so bulky, whereas on other desktops it's easy.

VTPoet
April 8th, 2012, 04:25 PM
What's the firefox theme you're using?

Papi47
April 8th, 2012, 09:21 PM
I would rather see the launchers on the right side than the bottom. I won't hold my breath though. BTW is there a How to create a new launcher?