PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu 12.04

Pages : [1] 2

amjjawad
October 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/30w1shs.jpg

First thing first:

Please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 is NOT going to be a Long Term Support (LTS) Release.
From: Julien Lavergne Head of Lubuntu Developers explaining "why" Lubuntu 12.04 will NOT be LTS Release:

LTS :
Again, it's not a choice which depends on the users, but a decision made by the developers. Of course I would like to be LTS, like I would like to buy an expensive car. The fact is, we can't. And even if we try, it could be so expensive that it will block us to do new cool stuff, because we have to maintain 12.04.

You can now follow the progress of Lubuntu development on status.ubuntu.com (http://status.ubuntu.com/).
Usually, Developers do NOT look at Forums, however they do check Launchpad daily. So please, if you have a problem/bug OR you want to see something new OR you want to change a current settings, etc ... and you want the Developers to look at it, PLEASE USE LAUNCHPAD (https://launchpad.net/).

Introduction:

Lubuntu 12.04 is the next release which is expected to arrive on April 26th, 2012. It's currently under development and this thread was created to discuss the future of this release.
Please start your own thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=412) in case you have a question or problem regarding Lubuntu 12.04. Please, stick to this thread topics.

Discussion Topics:

What do you expect from Lubuntu 12.04?
What applications you want to see in Lubuntu 12.04?
What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?
What things you DO NOT want to see or have on Lubuntu 12.04?
Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do :)

Blueprints:

From Lubuntu Developers:

Could you please add the 2 blueprints to the thread, so people will have of the information to participate ?https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-lubuntu-p-optimizations

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-lubuntu-p-users-experience

Lubuntu 12.04 Updates:

This section will be updated as soon as there is some new updates regarding Lubuntu 12.04 development and news.

Contact Lubuntu:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/ContactUs

andrewabc
October 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
1. It works and is 'slim'. Pretty much what xubuntu used to be, the lightweight, easy and fast ubuntu OS (I'm not saying xubuntu isn't fast, just that lubuntu has taken its place as fastest ubuntu version IMHO).

Basically I plan on using it for older computers, and what mostly matters is browser+internet works. For people with older laptops that are about to throw out (usually due to very slow hdd), put liveusb on $10 usb stick, and they have fast+secure OS +web browser. Which is what they use computer for 95% of time.

2. Hmm, not sure on apps. I mostly use it for web browser. Make sure everything that involves web browsing works (wireless, flash, java?).

3. Not sure ATM. Keep it simple, don't add crap or lots of startup services.
Is screensaver enabled by default? Disable it by default. I think it runs after like 5(10?) minutes? One of the first thing I do with any OS, and just tell monitor/screen to shut off after 10-15 minutes to save power. Screensavers are so 1990s.

4. Make sure to keep the livecd/liveusb startup options #1 as "try lubuntu". DO NOT CHANGE TO UBUNTU DEFAULT THAT LOADS "OS" AND THEN ASKS WHETHER TO TRY OR INSTALL, then loads OS again. This makes it real easy to put on liveusb and plug into laptop and have users use it and have it load OS without having to select try or install. I have it set to open web browser, so all user has to do is turn on computer and in 2 minutes their web browser and internet is up and running without having to do anything (from liveusb).

5. One reason why I havn't installed lubuntu on my 10.10 nettop is because I'm not sure how easy it supports file sharing over network. I have it networked with my main desktop to move/share files between computers. Also acted as a print server, but that is not currently working. Not sure how well it will work with printer (but I'm sure it will). Since 10.10 uses firefox 3.6, it was just easier to install chrome 14 from repository than the hassle of reinstalling OS and making sure networking file sharing and printer worked.

whatthefunk
October 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Most important thing: dont make it any bigger than it already is. Its designed for older machines and if it gets any bigger it wont work.

Also, what happened to the LXDE forums and the Lubuntu main page???

kaldor
October 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Lubuntu_logo.svg/320px-Lubuntu_logo.svg.png

Hi,

First of all, please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 will not be Long Term Support (LTS) release. Ubuntu 12.04 will be LTS though.

Long story short:

What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?

Thank you!

A nice, stable LXDE desktop experience. Obviously, that's underway :)

The current default applications are quite good. But, I'd really like seeing a custom Chromium theme to integrate nicer with the rest of the LXDE desktop. It does not look native in 11.10.

Desktop polish. The current desktop design and theme looks too depressing and plain. LXDE can be made to look quite great, so I'd really focus on redoing the artwork and giving Lubuntu a more unique and modern feel. Just because it's a lightweight DE doesn't mean it cannot look and feel great ;)

Nothing I can think of. Just keep it minimal like it currently is.

Overall, LXDE is a promising desktop. Lubuntu is a pretty good distro overall, but for me it's still not quite ready. It lacks a sort of polish and functionality compared to other DE's. There are also some UI issues, such as LXDE not automatically expanding the icon size to fit the panel height. That's more upstream, but it does do damage to Lubuntu overall.

Keep up the work. Lubuntu's a great distro and I hope it keeps progressing.

dajare
October 27th, 2011, 11:38 PM
@amjjawad - really appreciate the energy you're giving to community building for Lubuntu: so valuable, so worthwhile!

#1 + #4 = Expect Lubuntu to remain FIRMLY committed to small, light; so do NOT want to see BLOAT or FEATURE CREEP (http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_Start_With_No.php).

#3 - A slightly more thoughtful (?) font selection. Would love to see some excellent Unicode fonts (e.g. Gentium Plus (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=Gentium) would be wonderful, also could use good Hebrew font, e.g. Ezra SIL (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=EzraSIL_Home)).

Thank you!

No, thank you!

KBD47
October 28th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Not sure I understand you regarding lts. Will Lubuntu have just 3 years lts or no lts at all?
Lubuntu is great. I would say just keep it simple. The icons could use a makeover, and perhaps a few more LXDE/Lubuntu theme wallpapers.
I like that even though it is a lightweight desktop, I can still add whatever software I like from Synaptic Package Manager, such as LibreOffice.
I do notice that from live usb--and it is this way with all the buntus from usb--Firefox will not launch from anywhere except terminal. I can install Chromium and it works fine from usb, but Firefox comes pre-installed but won't launch.
Lubuntu, Unlike Ubuntu or Kubuntu, will load nicely from live usb. It takes up to 8 minutes to get Ubuntu or Kubuntu to load from live usb. Please don't mess up Lubuntu regarding the loader.
My best wishes for Lubuntu.
KBD47
PS--call me old fashioned but I like the screensavers :-)

rabbits
October 28th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Background. I start to dislike Gnome3 and Unity, after using it since Ubuntu Natty-beta then Oneiric-alpha onwards. Recently I ventured into Xubuntu and Lubuntu, I like the "efficiency and speed". fyi: I have various graphics hardware running nvidia-current, fglrx and radeon

I briefly tried Debian, Sabayon, ArchBang and CrunchBang; they have Openbox/LXDE on LiveCD. I say "briefly" because it was difficult to proceed after installation, difficult to find the extra applications, find pkg-names, find repos that I wanted: to find broadcom or video drivers and so on. I came back to Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu because of sheer convenience.

May I suggest some features I found in Archbang and Crunchbang LiveCD (Openbox): viz. the key-bindings and menus on the desktop: super+w started the browser, super+f started the file manager and so on. I have not found sufficient documentation or been confused by the little I found, as to what to modify, which file to modify; to set-up these key-binding and menus.

I am using Xubuntu right now, which has some GUI config tools allowing for customisation of panel, menus; meantime still searching for how to customise Openbox, LXDE and Lubuntu. I don't mind non-GUI setup like editing rc files; but my confusion and lack of documentation discouraged me. If anyone can point out some "easy to read" documentation I will experiment further on Lubuntu. I have searched ArchWiki and LXDE.org but still have not understood enough or missed something.

Hope my comments make sense. I do think LXDE is nice and light. Thanks, rabbits

jerrylamos
October 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
1. Having used both Firefox and Chromium, for me, Firefox hands down. Bookmarks are a mess on Chromium. I've got several pages worth, and "bookmark tabs" are useless. Now there have been Firefox versions like Swiftfox and Minefield that are a bit faster and less disk space. For compatibility of bookmarks with my faster pc, it's a real pain on Chromium to copy in Firefox's default bookmarks file, let alone export Chromium's to Firefox.

2. Flash video is essential.

3. Low overhead. Put Compiz back on the shelf. Compiz and Ubiquity must win the prize on most Launchpad bugs, and Compiz uses up tons of pc cycles even when I'm in full screen application mode. I use Unity-2D to get rid of Compiz on Ocelot and Pangolin.

4. Network browse & file transfer. I do transfer files and pictures over the home network to my wife's XP's. She supports a couple websites. One of the tools she uses is Dreamweaver, a $$ product not available on linux.

5. Libre Office write. I'm used to copying combined text, graphics, pictures from the internet on health, politics, etc. and have had poor luck with Abiword.

Now I don't need all those extra Libre Office applications like Impress etc. I do use Libre Office calc but I can do that on my tower.

6. Fast boot & shutdown. I don't leave pc's running when I'm not using them. I may log on 3 or 4 times a day, booting each time, and of course restart to check latest update functioning.

7. Synaptic and gparted I can load when I need them.

8. LTS doesn't mean much because I'm usually trying out the next development release (bruises all over). Right now Lynx LTS serves the purpose.

Good luck, I like choices.

Jerry

p.s. I occasionally use Tiny Core. Small, fast, runs in memory, Installs in a folder on an Ubuntu example /tinycore. But...doesn't do wireless. That's a killer.

andrewabc
October 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Even though libreoffice not installed by default, make sure it works in lubuntu when it gets installed (maybe it does, I never tried). :)

LinuxFan999
October 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Lubuntu_logo.svg/320px-Lubuntu_logo.svg.png

Hi,

First of all, please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 will not be Long Term Support (LTS) release. Ubuntu 12.04 will be LTS though.

Long story short:

Thank you!
1. A light, fast and stable linux distribution.
2. Same applications as usual, but make sure to use the latest versions.
3. Please include the Lubuntu Software center if it is ready.
4. There is nothing in particular that I don't want to see in Lubuntu 12.04
5. Good job on Lubuntu! Keep up the good work.

Big Lizard
October 29th, 2011, 07:07 AM
One thing I would like is the default Ozone Theme from Lu 11.04 to be available in the Openbox Config Manager.

To each their own, but that is the best looking theme I've ever seen on any distro. (And as you know, amjjawd, I liked it so much I made a matching Google Chrome theme.)

LarsKongo
October 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My biggest problem with Lubuntu at the moment is lxpanel. It's quite inconsistent. Padding on text and icon feels off. You can't change the font and font size in the panel etc.

Also, when will the LX applications switch to GTK3? Maybe lxpanel with CSS styling would be better. ;)

KBD47
October 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Just wanted to add that Lubuntu 11.10 needs a missing codec so that Pithos (a client for Pandora) will work. Ubuntu 11.10 is ready to work with Pithos as soon as the restricted extras are downloaded, but Lubuntu is missing something in the restricted extras. My guess is the alsamixer gstreamer, because when I download it and the good, bad, and ugly gstreamer codecs Pithos works fine in Lubuntu.
Also wanted to add that gdebi is so freakin fast compared to Ubuntu Software Center for downloaded packages that I hope Lubuntu will never let the USC replace gdebi!
KBD47

rezbd
October 30th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I miss just one thing in Lubuntu. Software Center.

KBD47
October 30th, 2011, 04:05 AM

I actually don't miss it at all, but can't it be installed from synaptic package manager?

KBD47
October 30th, 2011, 04:07 AM
One other thing while I'm thinking about it--would be great to put power management on the applications menu, maybe under preferences. Most newbies are not going to know you r-click on the battery icon to access power settings for Lubuntu.

lucazade
October 30th, 2011, 06:57 AM
My biggest problem with Lubuntu at the moment is lxpanel. It's quite inconsistent. Padding on text and icon feels off. You can't change the font and font size in the panel etc.

Also, when will the LX applications switch to GTK3? Maybe lxpanel with CSS styling would be better. ;)

With your contribution will surely look better :)

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Check my signature > Lubuntu One Stop Thread > Post #1 > Section C >Lubuntu Official Guides (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides) (FAQs - Guides) > How to install Lubuntu Software Center (LSC) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#How_to_install_Lubuntu_Software_Center_.28L SC.29)

Please keep in mind that LSC is still under development and it should be ready with 12.04.

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Just wanted to add that Lubuntu 11.10 needs a missing codec so that Pithos (a client for Pandora) will work. Ubuntu 11.10 is ready to work with Pithos as soon as the restricted extras are downloaded, but Lubuntu is missing something in the restricted extras. My guess is the alsamixer gstreamer, because when I download it and the good, bad, and ugly gstreamer codecs Pithos works fine in Lubuntu.
Also wanted to add that gdebi is so freakin fast compared to Ubuntu Software Center for downloaded packages that I hope Lubuntu will never let the USC replace gdebi!
KBD47

I think you mean Lubuntu 12.04? we are talking here about 12.04 future :P

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Everyone:

Please, let's stick to the topic title. Let's talk about 12.04 ONLY as per my first post :)

If you have ANY issue with Lubuntu 11.10 or 11.04, please let me know. Either to post on my thread (Lubuntu One Stop Thread) or Start your own thread then PM me the link of your thread and I'll do my best to help :)

Thank you!

KBD47
October 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I think you mean Lubuntu 12.04? we are talking here about 12.04 future :P

Yes, I'm making suggestions for upcoming 12.04 Lubuntu, suggestions to fix the gstreamer codecs that are missing for Pithos in the Lubuntu restricted extras, I'm guessing it is the alsamixer gstreamer that is missing because when I add it from synaptic package manager Pithos will work in Lubuntu. And please don't replace synaptic package manager or gdebi with Ubuntu Software Center in 12.04 unless you want Lubuntu to become a snail :-)
KBD47

rezbd
October 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
is it possible to include "Software Center" in Lubuntu 12.04 ?

KBD47
October 30th, 2011, 07:27 AM

Well I just checked Lubuntu 11.10 synaptic package manager and software center is in there, but I have no idea whether it works well in Lubuntu or not. Maybe amjjawad or someone else can tell you.
KBD47

keithpeter
October 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Even though libreoffice not installed by default, make sure it works in lubuntu when it gets installed (maybe it does, I never tried). :)

It works fine on 11.10. I have it installed on a copy of Lubuntu working off a USB stick with 'persistent storage'.

Given Lubuntu is aimed at lower power or older machines, I think Libreoffice should stay out of the default, but be installable easily.

rezbd
October 30th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I actually don't miss it at all, but can't it be installed from synaptic package manager?

ah I didn't know that it would possible to install in synaptic manager :P thanks. gonna try it :)

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
ah I didn't know that it would possible to install in synaptic manager :P thanks. gonna try it :)

Why to wait for someone to confirm that? one needs to try that him/her self :)
This is what I do on daily basis. Yes, I used to do the same, wait for someone to confirm whether this will work or not but I refuse to do that ... it just doesn't work with me any more ... I have unleashed my learning abilities and nothing will stop me now from learning each and everything about Lubuntu and Linux in general and so do you and everyone else :)

Soon, you'll understand what I'm talking about :P

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Check Post #18
If everything goes as planned, LSC will be included by default with Lubuntu 12.04. If you can't wait, you can go a head and install it now on Lubuntu 11.10. On Post #18, you'll find more information.

:)

Rex Bouwense
October 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well I just checked Lubuntu 11.10 synaptic package manager and software center is in there, but I have no idea whether it works well in Lubuntu or not. Maybe amjjawad or someone else can tell you.
KBD47

It works fine. I have downloaded it and have been installing packages from it.

TenPlus1
October 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Lubuntu is perfect and works really well... my only recommendations would be:

1. include Lubuntu Software Centre once it's finished

2. maybe replace Chromium with Firefox as firefox is still better memory wise

3. ndiswrapper and ndisgtk on live cd for anyone who has troubles with wireless/networking drivers

Thanks for a great Os...

tartalo
October 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
If everything goes as planned, LSC will be included by default

included or default?

If included: ah, ok.
If default: http://nooooooooooooooo.com

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
included or default?

If included: ah, ok.
If default: http://nooooooooooooooo.com

Check Post #18
If everything goes as planned, LSC will be included by default with Lubuntu 12.04.

The developers decided to wait until 12.04 to include Lubuntu Software Center. I'm not sure if that will replace Synaptic or not? too early to talk about that but what I'm sure about is the application, LSC, is currently under development.

What I meant by "LSC will be included by default" is: you don't need to install it after you are done with Lubuntu 12.04 installation, it will be there by default installed with Lubuntu 12.04 itself.

Hope that's clear now :)

andrewabc
October 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
It works fine on 11.10. I have it installed on a copy of Lubuntu working off a USB stick with 'persistent storage'.

Given Lubuntu is aimed at lower power or older machines, I think Libreoffice should stay out of the default, but be installable easily.

That is what I meant. :)

I don't think libreoffice should be installed by default, just that people should try installing it to make sure it works throughout development. :)

For people with a bit faster computers, or like me 1 fast computer (win7), 1 slow computer (ubuntu), it is easier to have libreoffice installed on both when transferring documents between machines.

rezbd
October 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM
It works fine. I have downloaded it and have been installing packages from it.

just installed Software Center. It's working here too :)

rezbd
October 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I don't see any sub-forum for Lubuntu in this Ubuntu forum. Does it exist?

amjjawad
October 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I don't see any sub-forum for Lubuntu in this Ubuntu forum. Does it exist?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu#Lubuntu_on_the_Ubuntu_Forums

Nothing personal but would you please keep your comment related to Lubuntu 12.04 topic?
This will make it easier for the developer to follow up with each and very post. If you noticed, I don't post here much because that will create more unneeded posts and that means more time for the developers to follow up. I have sent this thread to ALL Lubuntu Team last night because I want them to have a look at users feedback.

Please, don't take that as an insult. Everyone is free to ask but let's do it right. Such questions has specific places. If you are confused about anything, PM me any time and it's my pleasure to help and redirect you to the correct channel :)

Thanks for your understanding :)

drumour
October 30th, 2011, 09:04 PM
As a home user I have set up Lubuntu 11.10 on different system configurations - from atom cpus to i7s, because i find it lean and scalable and this keeps maintenance and modifications simple. So for 12.04 I would like more of the same. I am opposed to juggling default packages and adding bloat. I'd like Lubuntu to be the leanest, meanest 12.04 *buntu

croque
October 31st, 2011, 01:36 AM
1. More of the same. Light, fast, stable, configurable. Don't add more features...just bug-fixes.
2. No additional apps needed. I'll install what I need. But firefox and libreoffice-gtk need to work well.
3. Bug-fixes...apps updated to the latest versions...that's about it. It's already the best!
4. Don't need the software centre...options that can only be configured by gui...a new desktop paradigm.
5. Lubuntu is great already! It's stable...simple...and lets me get work done.

Catharsis
October 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM
One other thing while I'm thinking about it--would be great to put power management on the applications menu, maybe under preferences. Most newbies are not going to know you r-click on the battery icon to access power settings for Lubuntu.

+1. To access Power Management, I have to unplug my computer so the battery icon appears so I can right-click it and select Preferences. Why I have to do this is beyond me.

amjjawad
October 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM
From Lubuntu Developers:

Could you please add the 2 blueprints to the thread, so people will have of the information to participate ?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-lubuntu-p-optimizations

Post #1 updated.

Rex Bouwense
October 31st, 2011, 06:48 PM
I have been madly in love with Firefox since my Microsoft Windows days so I too would like to see it as the default browser but since it is easy to uninstall Chromium and install Firefox, it is no big deal.
I would take all the games off of the default install. They too are easy to install if you want them.
I use Thunderbird but once again it is easy to install so no big deal.
A trash can installed by default, other than the one in the windows manager, for those people who are computer challenged like me.
I'm sure that I can think of more, but those are off the top of my head.

KBD47
October 31st, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have been madly in love with Firefox since my Microsoft Windows days so I too would like to see it as the default browser but since it is easy to uninstall Chromium and install Firefox, it is no big deal.
I would take all the games off of the default install. They too are easy to install if you want them.
I use Thunderbird but once again it is easy to install so no big deal.
A trash can installed by default, other than the one in the windows manager, for those people who are computer challenged like me.
I'm sure that I can think of more, but those are off the top of my head.

I usually keep both Firefox and Chromium. I find Chrome/Chromium a bit lighter and faster than Firefox, which fits in good with Lubuntu, and I like having Chromium as the default, especially as I've had trouble with Firefox not launching when using all the Buntus from live usb, but Chromium will launch. The only way I could get Firefox to launch on live usb is from a terminal.

nothingspecial
October 31st, 2011, 07:28 PM
I like this

Theme optimization

Re-work the theme by default to be super-fast (stay with clearloooks and adwaita ?)
Keep a beautiful theme but not by default

KBD47
November 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM
I would recommend installing Gnome Screenshot in the default package. Pretty much every distro I've ever used comes with an easy to use screenshot app, Lubuntu 12.04 should have one IMO.

whatthefunk
November 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
I would recommend installing Gnome Screenshot in the default package. Pretty much every distro I've ever used comes with an easy to use screenshot app, Lubuntu 12.04 should have one IMO.

Lubuntu has scrot.

croque
November 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Lubuntu has scrot.

Yes. Scrot works great for my needs. Push one button ('Print Screen') and you have a screenshot in your home directory. What could be simpler (or lighter)?

TBABill
November 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
The only addition I think I would like to see is to make the desktop space appearance something of substance that merits a "wow factor" without sacrificing function or speed or resources. Other distros do quite well with the initial desktop after install and one of them is Peppermint. I'm not at all asking for a copy of any other distro, but a look around for some artistic touches besides the more bland shades of blue we see currently could certainly make a fantastic first impression.

I'm very impressed with Lubuntu. Not much can touch it in terms of speed and function while consuming very few resources. I like having office apps that aren't just Libre Office so long as Libre is available to install as an option. I do use it personally, but users on a lightweight OS may want that to be optional and minimize ISO size and post-install disk space usage.

Lastly, just keep up the awesome work this derivative has become. It merits every bit of praise it receives and keeps improving with each release. Job well done.

KBD47
November 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
I'm curious how hard it would be to put a volume indicator on Lubuntu 12.04? There is already a message notifier that tells me when a new song, or email, or battery, etc. Would be nice have a volume indicator to show when volume is being turned up or down and where the level is at.

amjjawad
November 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM
http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-p/2011-11-01/

From Lubuntu Developers - Through Mailing List
https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop

Hi,

This is a summary of the points we discussed during the session at UDS. It's a list of points I planned to implement for the next cycle :

- Lightdm enable by default for Alpha 1
- Multi-screen configuration : not easy to configure with lxrandr. Solution : Extend lxsession to accept configuration from other utility like arandr.
- Lxsession options / services : Add possibility to configure applications by default, and to enable them or not (screensaver, power-management ...)
- lubuntu-software-center : Add by default, but keep synaptic.

I may have more time to do more items, but I can't guaranty it. You can find the list of other possible items on the blueprint : https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-lubuntu-p-users-experience

If anyone have questions or concerns, please send a mail to the mailing. We have another session this afternoon, so we can discuss those topics during it.

The plan is to close the discussions on main changes during the week of the UDS, to start working earlier on those items.

If you would like to receive such emails, you can join Lubuntu on Launchpad.
As far as I can tell, not only members of Lubuntu team and developers but also users are subscribed to the mailing list.

stavrosLinux
November 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
There is a need for a presentation application to match abiword and gnumeric. At least an app like PowerPoint Viewer.

whatthefunk
November 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
There is a need for a presentation application to match abiword and gnumeric. At least an app like PowerPoint Viewer.

You can add one yourself after install.

Id like to see the number of default apps kept to a minimum to keep the resource usage to a minimum.

mathiraj
November 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
First of all THANK YOU for Lubuntu.

Here is what I would like to see in Lubuntu

1) Font setting dialog for LX Panel

2) Weather Applet for LX Panel (like the one in xfce)

3) Easily configurable Panel Clock (as in xfce without have to enter %a %n etc.,)

4) Use default theme for Openbox and gtk (clearlooks). It actually makes the system more responsive and reduces memory foot print

5) As much as possible remove all gnome/xfce dependencies (without removing gnome-system-tools) from the distribution

6) I don't know if any one really uses apparmor/selinux on desktop systems. If possible provide a way to disable them during install.

7) Plymouth themes take much time to load during system boot. just keep plymouth-text-theme theme which is faster.

stavrosLinux
November 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM

Id like to see the number of default apps kept to a minimum to keep the resource usage to a minimum.

sure, can u name one?

hosoka
November 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM
1. What do you expect from Lubuntu 12.04? From Lubuntu 12.04 I expect that the system would be used only for simplicity. Put only the programs installed that are using less memory resources. It does not need to be that we have programs that also the other distros in the Ubuntu family has. Just keep it simple as I do believe that there are users that would also give the opportunity to install their own favorite programs.
2. What applications you want to see in Lubuntu 12.04? Applications such like the auto-login function. If possible if this can work by default by not going to techie on it. Looking at Linux Mint lxde they have this option already at the panel. Also startlaunchers on the desktop would do great instead of the basic panels as now. More in the trend of Idock.
3. What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release? If only can work on the speed and not give the option to the users what they really want to use. The minimal basic installation like a browser, email program and music player should work fine already. Have a peak at BodhiLinux where the option is for the users to choose out what they needed. Specially look at the Basic Installation.
4. What things you DO NOT want to see or have on Lubuntu 12.04? Anything that has less to do with Gnome or any other system. It should be plain from LXDE or less resource hungry on memory.
5. Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do. Try where possible to have the Lubuntu 12.04 as minimal as possible. Do not go and copy as from the other Ubuntu distros. If possible only a minimal and give the option to the users who will then decide with suits best for them as program.

hexion
November 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
3. Low overhead. Put Compiz back on the shelf. Compiz and Ubiquity must win the prize on most Launchpad bugs, and Compiz uses up tons of pc cycles even when I'm in full screen application mode. I use Unity-2D to get rid of Compiz on Ocelot and Pangolin.

I beg to differ.

Many people are used to Gnome 2 + Compiz, and taking Compiz out of the equation will probably have an effect on the expansion of Lubuntu.

It can be left off by default, that's fine (I'd prefer it on, but that's just my opinion). But remove it all the way? Big mistake.
Instead, work into a correct integration and leave the option for people to use it or not.

ranch hand
November 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quite right. The purpose of Lubuntu is to be a light install suitable for older hardware.

While this is not a problem for me with my hardware I have some boxes that will need that now.

This goes for a lot of the good suggestions here. Eye candy eats resources. There is a lot of it available out there. Add some if you miss it. I certainly do on this box.

There are a lot of things that I would like to see in Lubuntu, like the stackable launchers used by xfce for the panel. These things take resources. Just leave them out.

jerrylamos
November 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
So far biggest missing function for me is:

Browse Network

Any way to get that function short of installing Nautilus?

I've got an older pc in the back room I'd like to copy some stuff over the network from my faster tower. Likewise I'd like to copy some notes and emails from the older pc to the tower.

Thanks, Jerry

seeker5528
November 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Any way to get that function short of installing Nautilus?

I think if Nautilus works PCManFM should work. The gvfs-backends package may have to be installed first, it's recommended by the pcmanfm package, but if it wasn't included in Lubuntu out of the box, it won't get pulled in automatically unless something happens that causes the package to be seen by the package management system as a new package.

Later, Seeker

cogitordi
November 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM

This disappoints me, because Lubuntu and Fedora LXDE Spin are the only Linux distros that I find usable, but Lubuntu's significant advantage is the possibility of LTS.

A menu editor. This is a general deficiency with LXDE.
A better tool for keyboard language-switching. Right now, I hack setxkbmap scripts into the menu.
A means to launch scripts from the context menu (like nautilus-scripts).
Built-in tool to disable the touchpad of a laptop. (E.g. gpointing-device-settings.)
Better theming customization. I think a stable tool, or much better documentation is needed. Or both!

I would be thrilled to see the above comments implemented in 12.04. In addition, a better editor than Leafpad. I can add the other things that I find useful, such as conky, lm_sensors, Libre Office, and Firefox.

In addition to the above... The default style of the lxpanel should make the icons and text clear. I make the lxpanel black and the text light blue.

Personal preferences: I do not like Chrome and Abiword. I find Leafpad weak.

Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do
Lubuntu has the qualities to become the best distro. It's faster than the other *buntus, more efficient, themes are exportable and importable, and there's the Canonical infrastructure behind it. Given where Gnome and KDE are going, I wouldn't be using a Canonical distro at all if not for Lubuntu.

ljking2009
November 5th, 2011, 05:53 AM
1.office
2.useful text tool with view.like notpad++

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
1.office
2.useful text tool with view.like notpad++

Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forum :)

Please see this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755

As a new member on this forum, that link will help you to understand more about Lubuntu.

By the way, I just hope you do NOT mean MS Office :P

whatthefunk
November 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I also think that Abiword should be dropped. That program is worthless. Unfortunately, its the best of the light Office programs.

nipunreddevil
November 5th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Windows should be automatically grouped.Power saving is an important facet and Lubuntu can work on that feature giving the users more information about their usage patterns and how they shall be able to save power on their systems.

nipunreddevil
November 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I also think that Abiword should be dropped. That program is worthless. Unfortunately, its the best of the light Office programs.
It may depend on the use.Undoubtedly i may prefer using LibreOffice when dealing with something official,but for personal purposes,i have found AbiWord very useful.Especially since it is quick!!

jerrylamos
November 5th, 2011, 06:53 PM
It may depend on the use.Undoubtedly i may prefer using LibreOffice when dealing with something official,but for personal purposes,i have found AbiWord very useful.Especially since it is quick!!

I use LibreOffice when copying from the internet mixed text, graphics, and pictures. Last time I tried that with AbiWord I had to download each separately and then stitch them back together...........

Jerry

jerrylamos
November 5th, 2011, 06:56 PM
LibreOffice - I'd appreciate a download that was just Write. I rarely use Calc except quarterly for income tax, and never never use Impress and .....

Jerry

KBD47
November 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Using synaptic package manager I did install just Writer, but it brought math and probably the core package with it, though I don't see the other programs. Writer works fine.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
May I remind everyone that the purpose of this thread is to send our suggestions to the developer of Lubuntu and keeping it as short and as organized as possible is very important :)

Thank you so much for your understanding!

whatthefunk
November 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM

I also prefer LibreOffice but it is resource intensive and therefore should not be default in Lubuntu. As I said, unfortunately, Abiword is the best of the lighwteight office programs.

KBD47
November 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I keep thinking how important it could become for a LTS release of Lubuntu next Spring. Lubuntu will be the only one in the Buntu family without an LTS release. If Linux Mint stays with the Ubuntu release for LXDE then they will have it as an LTS release next Spring with 5 years of support. If they base it on Debian it will be a rolling release that never needs to be re-installed. Why would this matter? Besides being very fast and running well on new hardware, LXDE is ideal for older hardware, and once installed and running well I can't see many distro-hoppers or people wanting to do fresh installs on old hardware, for those people a Mint LTS or rolling release Debian would have to be very tempting. This would not be an issue if the Ubuntu upgrades actually worked and were useful. I've checked the forums when new releases come out and people click on that upgrade window, and it does not work well to say the least. If it were possible to make very smooth upgrades between Lubuntu releases, I would say focus on that more, if not, please give serious consideration to an LTS release of Lubuntu. Honesty compels me to admit I will be looking hard at Mint LXDE next Spring, I'm pretty much done distro-hopping and ready to leave some dual-boot OS's on my machine. And upgrades don't interest me based on what I've seen.
I apologize for this being so long, but I think it deserves serious consideration. If it comes to it, and there just are not resources, I'd encourage dropping the upgrade option for Lubuntu and focus on LTS release, at least for a 3 year LTS.
KBD47

Schelling
November 6th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Hi all,

I am a Lubuntu user and I love it and my netbook love it. Using 11.10.

+1 with Libreoffice. I write a lot, and I preferred Libreoffice than Abiword. Right now the is a problem with Libreoffice and Lxde taskbar, if you open multiple libreoffice files, the taskbar crash and the Lxpanel freezes. There is already discussed in the bug section https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxpanel/+bug/806663

Right now, to avoid this, I have the Taskbar disable.

Oh and check why in 11.10 the shutdown takes longer than the previous releases, I mean it is not painful, but I miss the 4-5 seconds shutdown, and now we have 10-15 :)

Thanks for everything and keep the good work

P.S. Forgive my spelling, English is not my main language.

BossDj
November 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
+1 Original Lubuntu theme - Preference.

+1 LibreOffice: As part of the official Ubuntu family, a priority should be "user friendliness". Ubuntu is all about the easy switch from Mac/Windows. The more "plug and go" the better, and this includes providing essentials, which I believe office to be. It should be default AT LEAST until there is Software Centre.

+1 Volume Control default: Same reason as LibreOffice. The less terminal use/learning curve the better.

+ It also seemed to me that Lubuntu came with a TON of games for some reason. I assume they are all tiny, but it still seems counter-intuitive to the goal.

Thanks, Lubuntu is great.

whatthefunk
November 7th, 2011, 02:47 AM
+1 LibreOffice: As part of the official Ubuntu family, a priority should be "user friendliness". Ubuntu is all about the easy switch from Mac/Windows. The more "plug and go" the better, and this includes providing essentials, which I believe office to be. It should be default AT LEAST until there is Software Centre.

LibreOffice cannot be default as it wont run on many computers with old hardware. On my laptop, which has only 256 RAM, LibreOffice runs too slow to be useful. It is very easy to install LibreOffice and take off Abiword and you dont need Software Center to do it. Synaptic Package Manger can do it just as well as anything else.

jerrylamos
November 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
LibreOffice cannot be default as it wont run on many computers with old hardware. On my laptop, which has only 256 RAM, LibreOffice runs too slow to be useful. It is very easy to install LibreOffice and take off Abiword and you dont need Software Center to do it. Synaptic Package Manger can do it just as well as anything else.

You might have to install Synaptic too. No big deal, you just add it to the list of things to do after install such as flash, turning off screen lock, turning off update (I Update when I want to and don't want a big fat screen window interrupt from Update which has killed my installs several times). I'm not sure if a new user would know all this tho.

Among other things Synaptic is useful for removing disk hogs such as old linux-image-generic-xxx and headers. Update process is supposed to do but doesn't frequently.

Jerry

whatthefunk
November 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Synaptic is default.

I agree on the update thing though Jerry...my god is that annoying.

amjjawad
November 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
turning off update (I Update when I want to and don't want a big fat screen window interrupt from Update which has killed my installs several times). I'm not sure if a new user would know all this tho.

Please, don't suggest that to NEW Users. Updating Notifier does exist for a reason. If you are experienced enough and you do know how to update your system then that's really good but with new users, imagine the mess.

Thank you :)

P.S.
Synaptic will be installed by default as of today. Hopefully LSC (Lubuntu Software Center) will be ready by that time too.

KBD47
November 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Please, don't suggest that to NEW Users. Updating Notifier does exist for a reason. If you are experienced enough and you do know how to update your system then that's really good but with new users, imagine the mess.

Thank you :)

P.S.
Synaptic will be installed by default as of today. Hopefully LSC (Lubuntu Software Center) will be ready by that time too.

My concern is the upgrade notifier. I turned this off on my wife's computer. How many newbies have wrecked their computers with upgrades? :(
PS--synaptic package manager and gdebi are the best things since sliced bread :-) I could live happily the rest of my life without ever using ubuntu software center.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
My concern is the upgrade notifier. I turned this off on my wife's computer. How many newbies have wrecked their computers with upgrades? :(

Sorry if my post wasn't clear :)
Actually, I was talking about the regular update not upgrade. That one for "upgrade" I dislike it too. but for update, it's a must IMHO.

KBD47
November 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Sorry if my post wasn't clear :)
Actually, I was talking about the regular update not upgrade. That one for "upgrade" I dislike it too. but for update, it's a must IMHO.

Yes, updates can fix bugs, and security updates are important. I mostly pick and choose my updates now. I like the way Mint gives rating to the importance of updates. I have seriously considered just enabling the security update repositories, disabling everything else, and just upgrading browsers, thunderbird, and a few other applications manually with synaptic package manager. Sadly, updates too can brake a OS. It can be a trade off between security and avoiding breaking the system. Rolling releases like Mint Debian often get broken with updates, and you see it too often here in the Ubuntu forum.
KBD47

andrewabc
November 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM
An easier way to set "startup" programs.

Say I want chromium to start when computer starts, I don't want to have to google how to do it and edit text file (that's how I've been doing it, maybe an easier way in 11.10?).

A simple way, such as what is in normal ubuntu would be nice.
Example: open the startup applications program, type in program filename, text description etc. With checkbox to enable/disable chromium(any app) from starting up.

whatthefunk
November 8th, 2011, 01:54 AM
An easier way to set "startup" programs.

Say I want chromium to start when computer starts, I don't want to have to google how to do it and edit text file (that's how I've been doing it, maybe an easier way in 11.10?).

A simple way, such as what is in normal ubuntu would be nice.
Example: open the startup applications program, type in program filename, text description etc. With checkbox to enable/disable chromium(any app) from starting up.

Agreed. This can sometimes be a massive pain in the butt.

Also, I think mtPaint should be replaced with pretty much anything other basic paint program. Its near impossible to do anything with that program...

KBD47
November 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Agreed. This can sometimes be a massive pain in the butt.

Also, I think mtPaint should be replaced with pretty much anything other basic paint program. Its near impossible to do anything with that program...

Pinta is an impressive paint program that can also edit photos.
KBD47

keithpeter
November 8th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Pinta is an impressive paint program that can also edit photos.
KBD47

Pinta looks interesting, thanks. Installs libraries shown below on Debian Squeeze. Are these OK for Lubuntu? I see mono mentioned.

Has curves dialog (nice). The curves control is bezier based with control points, working out how to change the tangents. Wacky curves easy, fine control hard at present. Might be keyboard short cuts.

Resize image command does not give a choice of resize algorithm, I'll check what its using by default.

Has a mandlebrot and julia set generator (just cost me 15 minutes :twisted:)

binfmt-support cli-common libglib2.0-cil libgtk2.0-cil libmono-cairo2.0-cil libmono-corlib2.0-cil libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil libmono-posix2.0-cil libmono-security2.0-cil libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil libmono-system2.0-cil mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime pinta

nipunreddevil
November 9th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Force quit applet is a must!

cariboo907
November 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Force quit applet is a must!

Press Alt-F2 and type:

xkill

Then click on the misbehaving application.

amjjawad
November 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Press Alt-F2 and type:

xkillThen click on the misbehaving application.

May I suggest an alternative approach?

Menu > System Tools > Task Manager > Right Click on the Command/App that is currently running and want to force quit > Kill

xkill might kill the LXPanel (if you are pointing to an app which is minimized) and for those who don't know how to restart it, that would be a problem and real panic :)

nipunreddevil
November 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Of course there are these 2 methods,but the applet just would be more convenient

amjjawad
November 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Of course there are these 2 methods,but the applet just would be more convenient

I'm not sure what you exactly mean? if for example you want to remove say the Volume Control from LXPanel then: Right Click > Remove "Volume Control" from panel > Done.

You can re-add it later on. Fairly simple and easy. There is nothing more easier :)

cariboo907
November 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if this works in Lubuntu, but in Ubuntu if you click the close button of a misbehaving application two or three times, it brings up the force quit dialog box.

For those that think a force quit applet would be useful, how would you implement it to close a misbehaving application? Would you add a Force Quit selection to the file menu? Would the applet open a dialog box where you could type the name of an application? There have been a couple of threads about this, but no one has actually come up with a way of doing this with an applet.

lucazade
November 9th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Focus should be on how to make these apps not crash at all instead to find a way to forcedly kill them.
Maybe I'm just a dreamer.

cariboo907
November 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Focus should be on how to make these apps not crash at all instead to find a way to forcedly kill them.
Maybe I'm just a dreamer.

I agree with you., generally when an application misbehaves, it's because of something I've done. :)

amjjawad
November 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure if this works in Lubuntu, but in Ubuntu if you click the close button of a misbehaving application two or three times, it brings up the force quit dialog box.

Same with Lubuntu. That message is generated by Openbox as far as I can tell.

For me, I kill any frozen application from LXTask.

Hylas de Niall
November 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Hi,

Long story short:

Thank you!

1. More of the same! :)
2. Any lightweight drawing program
3. It's simplicity and lightness already make it stand out. Possibly a more 'cheery' colour scheme?
4. The Penguin games. They look very old on a modern OS.
5. Why isn't it LTS?

amjjawad
November 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Before you post, please read this note:
This thread has been created for one simple reason: to discuss the future of Lubuntu and send users' suggestions and notes to the developers directly - I'm in charge of this.

Please keep any other comments/problems away from this thread. We need this thread to be as short as possible yet as informative and easy to follow as possible. The developers are not on this forum but this thread will be sent to them.

If you do have ANY problem, please start your own thread and PM me the link and I'll be more than glad to help :)

Thank you so much for your understanding.

Hi,

Long story short:

Thank you!

Blueprints:

From Lubuntu Developers:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/other-lubuntu-p-optimizations

Thanks for understanding :)

amjjawad
November 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Okay, now, it's my turn to post on my own thread and write my own suggestions and thoughts :D
This thread will be sent to developers as I already stated previously.

To my great Lubuntu Family: It's true that I'm a member of this great team and family but today, I'm going to write that as a Lubuntu User, not as a member of the team so please don't hate me :P

Hi, First of all, please be informed that Lubuntu 12.04 will not be Long Term Support (LTS) release. Ubuntu 12.04 will be LTS though.

First thing first, I'm the one who delivered the above quoted message to the community in here. However, if truth to be told, I'm not 100% agreed about that decision and still looking forward a Long Term Support Release of Lubutnu and that will be 12.04.
I'm very much aware why this decision has been made but IMHO, we must be stronger than anything else and do our best to achieve what we want. What really makes me so much interested about LTS release of Lubuntu is the HUGE SUCCESS that Lubuntu has achieved and still achieving on daily basis. I'm indeed quite positive and I know what I'm talking about. Many users are shifting from Ubuntu (and other variant) to Lubuntu. Numbers and Figures talk louder than words and it's just the beginning (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1878387) .

Having all that said, I wish and hope that we can make it and I'm sure we can. It's true I'm not a developer and have no idea how hard that is but what I know for sure is there is NOTHING impossible so +1 for LTS Lubuntu.

Long story short:Nuh, not my story, it will be LONG :D

1- What do you expect from Lubuntu 12.04?

a- I do have very high expectations for Lubuntu 12.04, thus, I expect it will be my one and only OS installed on my machine. I expect Lubuntu 12.04 to be my one and only choice and I don't want to choose any other path. I expect Lubutnu will meet most of my needs if not all. That is why your mission is not going to be easy, Lubuntu Developers but be sure we are all with you :)

b- I expect Lubuntu 12.04 to be LTS, period.

c- I expect Lubuntu Team read each and every suggestion, input, notes, etc from Lubuntu Users. Listening to users are very much important.

d- I expect Lubuntu 12.04 to continue dazzling everyone and go even beyond.

e- I believe that Lubuntu 12.04 will never let me down and will exceed all my expectations. Surprise me, please!

f- I expect from Lubutnu 12.04 to learn from the previous mistakes and work harder to fix what is broken and improve what is weak.

g- I expect Lubuntu 12.04 to never look back or around. Believe in yourself and don't follow someone's else steps.

h- I expect Lubuntu 12.04 to be even more faster, stronger, stable and flexible than before.

i- Lubuntu now has more users and those users have different machines, from new modern machines to 10 years old machines. I expect Lubuntu to satisfy both BUT PLEASE the first priority is and will always be Lightweight, High Speed, Stable and Solid. I don't want to break that at all.

j- I expect more marketing activities. Lubuntu Website (www.lubuntu.net (http://www.lubuntu.net)) needs lots of work.

k- Our Wiki System should be improved before the release day of 12.04.

2- What applications you want to see in Lubuntu 12.04?

WHATEVER App and/or feature that will make Lubutnu 1 second slower, I'll personally vote against it. After all, anyone can install whatever he/she wants from the repositories. Overall preformance must remain rock solid. If

The list of Apps that I'd like to see and have in Lubuntu 12.04 are:

Accessories

Application/Utility to Search for Files - Must have.
Clipboard Manager - Must have.
Screenshot (gnome-screenshot or any other package) - Preferred even though there is already one by default but with limited options and most of the users don't know when they will press Print Screen, there will be a captured screenshot on their Home Folder.

Games:
Not really my cup of tea and I don't use it or care much about it but I can't vote to remove it nor have any idea to improve it. So, nothing to discuss here.

Graphics
Not very important addition, just a matter of personal opinion so:

Shotwell

Everyone can simply install the above app so again, no big deal but IMHO, it would be so nice to have that by default. Shotwell takes 12MB RAM. Mint LXDE includes GIMP by default but it takes more than 35MB of RAM upon startup without even opening any image file. After all, such programs are NOT for low-specification machines. I'm just comparing here so IMHO, NO for GIMP.

Internet:

Chromium VS Firefox still under discussion and testing. Both are what I use so it doesn't really matter to me but again, if anything will affect the overall performance, I'll vote NO for it. As far as I know, both Fedora 16 LXDE and Mint 11 LXDE use Firefox my default. It takes 50MB on Mint LXDE upon Startup with one tab. Chromium on Lubuntu 11.10 takes around 60MB with google.com as the only opened tab. I'll do some tests and after that will update my suggestion in here.
XChat - it takes around 3MB upon startup and 10MB after logging in to a channel. Perhaps it's not bad to add it again but it's not that important for me.
I can't vote to remove Sylpheed even though I never use it nor use any Email-Client (it's very light and takes 7.5MB upon startup (without setting up any email account) So maybe better to keep it for those who are using it. Never ever think about Thunderbird please! it takes 47MB upon startup on Mint LXDE 11 without setting up any Email account ... I don't know what were they thinking?
Skype. Adding Skype is not straight forward. I've never seen any light distribution with Skype installed by default as of today but with Mint LXDE, Canonical Partner Repository is added by default and if anyone types on the Synaptic's Search Box, Skype will show up as the first choice. Just a thought because that will save some time for our users (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#How_to_install_Skype).
Other than the above points, the current list looks very fine to me.

Office:

Is Osmo a must really? it takes 10.5MB upon startup on Lubutnu 11.10 and I've noticed some users are keen to change it while others seem satisfied or didn't complain yet. But point is, if it's possible to change it with a Presentation Program? that would be great but I have no idea what lightweight apps for Presentation?!
Many don't really like AbiWord and I never use it but as long as it's lightweight, then please keep it :) Users can always install their favorite.

Sound and Video:

VLC instead of gnome-mplayer. Do you know upon startup VLC takes less than GNOME-MPlayer? beside VLC IMHO is much stronger.
Any possibility to replace Audacious with VLC? so one Application (VLC) for both Sound and Video?

System Tools:
The poorest list in the Menu is System Tools. I wish to see more options

Synaptic - KEEP IT PLEASE!
I think LSC (Lubuntu Software Center) will be available by default, right? not my cup of tea at all but I think many users will like it.
Backup tool maybe?
Startup Disk Creator and/or UNetbootin - any chance?
GParted by default - any chance?

Preferences:

Lock Screen to be added as an entry, PLEASE! for me, I know how to do that but for many, it's a problem. Even if I know the workaround to add it, why to waste time? it won't take much of your time because once you do it, it will be available for many by default.
Power Management to be added as an entry, PLEASE! Same as above.
Additional Drivers and Disk Utility must be under System Tools NOT Preferences.

3- What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?
For some features I'd like to see in Lubuntu 12.04 and other things that IMHO could improve Lubuntu (user experience-wise):

Backgrounds/Wallpapers in the Repositories so one can download as much as he/she wants :) the current 6 images are nice but hope new will be available. How about 12 images by default? 12.04 = 12 images = SO NICE :)
Customize Look and Feel: is it possible to merge some tabs in one? I mean just like Ubuntu when one changes the Theme, everything will be changed too. Just a thought.
Customize Look and Feel:Reduce Widget and Increase Icon Themes. Just another thought. OR we could use only few and one can download more from the official repository.
Customize Look and Feel: Window Border has very long list. Why not to shorten the list of choices?
Customize Look and Feel: Why there is nothing in Mouse Cursor? some choices will be great.
Listening to Users and take their feedback into consideration with Lubuntu Goals and Aims in mind that will be one of the best things that will definitely improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it much better than the previous versions.
Remove ALL the unneeded or unnecessary packages. Keep whatever needed and remove the rest. Lubuntu should be light not only with speed but with everything else. In case there is some current used packages with more dependencies and CPU/RAM Usage, please get rid of them.

Try Lubuntu Without Installation Bug. Hope that could be fixed once and for all.
Add to the Repositories (if not yet available) or perhaps to the collection of the current programs/application a list of some tweaking programs. I think it would be better to add that to the Repo. Let's give the user some choices. Not saying to add Compiz and Cairo-Dock but some applications to change the Login Screen Wallpaper and the Splash Screen.
Instead of Startup Manger (which I think it has some bugs or something wrong), is it possible to include two programs? GRUB Customizer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664134) and Boot Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair)? would be great if at least these two will be included by default in the Repositories. I've used these two and I'm so impressed with both. Very helpful and save time and effort.
Home Folder and Trash on Desktop - Please! but NOT according to this (http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2018).
Adding New Idea: In CrunchBang (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=crunchbang), there is an auto script that one could run to do the stuff that one needs to do after installation. Like "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade". Why not do the same with Lubuntu 12.04? that would be so nice to have :)

I'll add more in case something will come up on my mind.

4- What things you DO NOT want to see or have on Lubuntu 12.04?

Size of the iso should be less than the current size. Again, get rid of the unneeded stuff. Would be nice to have less than 650MB but if that means having less options, please forget it. Just make sure it will be less than 700MB if you know what I mean.
I don't want to see Lubuntu 12.04 following Ubuntu's Steps at any cost no matter what whatever the reason is, period.
Less bugs please. We need to make sure to fix all bugs as much as possible before the release day. We need more testers. I'm up to this for sure but I'm sure we'll need more testers. Please let's get more.
Will add more in case something will come up on my mind.

5- Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do

I have lots to talk about here, specially about the future of LXDE before the future of Lubuntu but I'll skip that for now. I'll go short here:

How come we use LXDE but there are no applications for Light Network Manger (we are using GNOME)? no Light Power Management for LXDE (we used to use GNOME and now XFCE)? and other stuff? we need more action from LXDE's side.
PCManFM is really nice but don't you think it's time to improve it and go to version 1.0? it lacks many features. Edit: for example: Search Feature, Plug-in to Resize Images, Trash Icon on Desktop (other File Managers already have that) and make it easier to replace PCManFM for those who wants that (even though I do NOT like that but just to give more flexibility to users)
More flexibility is needed. It is a general notes but if I have to be more specific then yes, adding some GUI applications to do some basic stuff.
Will add more in case something will pop up in my mind.

Thank you so much for reading all that. I tried my best to write as less as possible.

KBD47
November 11th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Great thoughts amjjawad! I just want to second the need for LTS, and I'll tell you why in a minute. Also gparted is a necessity, I can see many people using Lubuntu as a sort of rescue system because it is so lightweight and quickly boots up to use gparted on their machines.
Here is why LTS is even more important now than a few days ago. I've been trying out Mint 12 RC and many Unity/Gnome 3 haters are looking to move to Mint 12 MATE desktop, but the thing is, it looks like an unfinished version of Lubuntu! I can really see those who don't change OS often wanting a very user friendly desktop that is simple to set up and use, and my guess is that Lubuntu will get even more popular for those people, and it being LTS will matter to them. I can tell you for certain that next Spring I'm going to dual-boot my netbook with two systems that I am going to leave on there, I'm tired of distro-hopping. Anything else I try out from that point will be on a usb stick or in virtualbox. If Lubuntu is LTS next Spring, it will be my second boot and probably stay on my netbook the rest of its life.
KBD47

cariboo907
November 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Wouldn't it be better to get Lubuntu finalized, before creating an LTS version? An LTS version is supposed to be stable, which not only means that it doesn't crash very often, but stable as in unchanging, except for updates.

amjjawad
November 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Wouldn't it be better to get Lubuntu finalized, before creating an LTS version? An LTS version is supposed to be stable, which not only means that it doesn't crash very often, but stable as in unchanging, except for updates.

Yes, probably you are right. But, I was wondering what could the "finalized version" of Lubuntu do if the "un-finalized version" has exceeded many expectations and proved itself among the other variant? Looks like Mint and Ubuntu will have some hard rival if Lubuntu got finalized ;)

rokytnji
November 12th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Hi amjjawad. Though I don't run Lubuntu, (look to the left<-----)

and run LXDE in AntiX 8.5 i686 core iso install with testing repositories (which keeps me supported indefinitely).

When 12.04 LTS comes out. If Lubuntu does not get long term support from Ubuntu.

What about downloading the core iso of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (I don't know for sure if base iso will be a LTS). Build a LXDE environment on it. Just gabbing/jaw jacking here though. When my 10.04LTS Gnome 2 Wireless dual core Desktop loses Ubuntu support. I was thinking of going that route instead of Lubuntu as I am comfortable using apt and editing /etc/apt/sources.lst plus dealing with a base install.

I am not a Unity Gnome 3 Hater by the way. I am glad the choice is there for users who wish to use it.

Me though. I am in the camp of users who like a fast desktop and can get work done without a lot of clicks. Using computer resources (ram,hardrive,processor) for running a heavy desktop is not my style. I know it takes some work to set up a Open box Desktop to a users preferences from the get go at the beginning (which is like using up resources/users time) also. But when done. You end up with a lightening fast Desktop that is pleasing to the eye. So I guess 6 dozen of one or 1/2 dozen of the other.

As always, Good luck to your team on LXDE and Lubuntu.

Happy trails, Rok

Edit:

Application/Utility to Search for Files

I use the command

locate

and

find

Though I guess a gui one many be easier for new users.

KBD47
November 12th, 2011, 01:40 AM

I have to say Lubuntu 11.10 is rock solid for me, more stable than Ubuntu 11.10 on my computer. I think it could use a bit more polish and a few more features like have been mentioned in this thread, but I can't think of anything keeping it from being an LTS beyond having enough people to handle keeping up the releases. I wonder what is lacking to make it finalized? And is any edition ever really finalized?
KBD47

MG&TL
November 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM
4. The Penguin games. They look very old on a modern OS.

Watch it! I've spent over ten hours so far patching it so that the icons actually show up...but I agree, if not removed, at least overhauled, they bring the tone down somewhat.:)

My wish: allow the apps menu button in more than one place-I'd like it in my dock-panel and my switcher-panel.
My need: stop sylpheed freezing all of the time. I know it's a beta, but it's still a pain.
My greedy wish: (which is probably feature creep, but hey)-better gtk support-gedit looks terrible. It's like it's been microwaved. Or tab support for leafpad. Either way.

jerrylamos
November 12th, 2011, 03:09 AM
12.04 Lubuntu - at least as much as apt-get can get from sources.list - up and running on this Thinkpad T40 with help from Lucazade in this forum - not sure that meets the guidelines but it worked.

Replace all - In sources.list I don't know how to "replace all" with leafpad so I did it by installing gedit. I've seen some command line strings do do that, but I make a LOT less mistakes with GUI.

Bookmarks - I run a couple hundred bookmarks which I find $%^&* to handle with Chromium so I installed Firefox.

Browse network - I've got a tower and a netbook, and my wife has Windoze (supporting websites with poprietary software not available on linux). They're all on a home network sharing files & printers. I haven't found out how to "browse network" with pcmanfm. I tried installing nautilus but I don't know how to get it to browse network on Lubuntu Precise yet. If it's possible.

Anyway, so far so good. Now when Alpha 1 shows up, I'll hang on to my hat and do a fresh "real" install.

Thanks all,

Jerry

Exeleration-G
November 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do

A distribution that combines being lightweight with being up-to-date. It should try to take the best from other distro's, while still being lightweight. The thing I'm looking for right now is the window snap, also called 'Aero Snap', as seen in Ubuntu. Compiz is too heavy though, so I'd like to see Lubuntu or LXDE come up with a light-weight solution for this.
The applications in it right now are fine
-
guvcview. I don't see the benefit in that application. mtpaint and ace-of-penguins (the penguin games) both look too out-of-date and mtpaint is a hassle to use. The current 'Open File' dialog is bothersome because it takes a lot of repetitive directory-opening.. This should be reverted to the way it was in 11.04. I made a question (http://askubuntu.com/questions/75750/how-can-i-make-my-lubuntu-11-10-menus-look-like-in-11-04) for it on AskUbuntu.
Some standard options are 'missing', such as the option to add autostart programs easily. Right now, a user has to copy .desktop files to ~/.config/autostart, which is very contra-intuitive. The same goes for creating launchers: LXshortcut is very contra-intuitive.

These are a few things that could be better, but guys, you're doing a great job, keep it up! Thanks for making Lubuntu my favourite distro!

@amjjawad: I agree with most of your suggestions regarding Xchat, Osmo, Skype and VLC. But please don't touch PCManFM. PCManFM is holy.

jerrylamos
November 12th, 2011, 04:07 AM
@amjjawad: I agree with most of your suggestions regarding Xchat, Osmo, Skype and VLC. But please don't touch PCManFM. PCManFM is holy. It's faster than Thunar and IMO, it has all the options a file manager needs.

What I'm missing is "browse network" to my wife's pc's and my netbook. I do that with Nautilus on my tower.

Any ideas short of command line?

Thanks,

Jerry

Exeleration-G
November 12th, 2011, 04:17 AM
What I'm missing is "browse network" to my wife's pc's and my netbook. I do that with Nautilus on my tower.

Any ideas short of command line?

Thanks,

Jerry
Well, what I'm using is the PCManFM top menu: 'Go' --> 'Network'. From there, I can open the Windows network the rest of my family uses. I bookmark this location, so that I can reopen it easily.

I hope that this answers your question at least a bit. Keep in mind that I'm using a nl-nl localisation instead of an english one, so the button names may vary.

This answer can be removed if it doesn't fit the topic properly, I just wanted to respond to Jerry.

jerrylamos
November 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Well, what I'm using is the PCManFM top menu: 'Go' --> 'Network'. From there, I can open the Windows network the rest of my family uses. I bookmark this location, so that I can reopen it easily.

Exeleration-G,

Thanks!

On 12.04 LXDM on the Thinkpad T40 I did PCManFM "Go > Network Drives" which did access the USB hard drive in another room plugged into my netbook - also running 12.04. The netbook with its small screen and small keyboard is newer and faster and has more memory and more hard drive than the T40 so I've got Unity-2D on it.

The T40 has a bigger screen and nice regular sized keyboard, for a notebook, so Lubuntu should be a good fit.

Jerry

BossDj
November 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have been using VLC for audio and video for about a week (I have a huge library) and I am sold as well. The less programs with "gnome" in the title, the better, right?

cogitordi
November 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Ace-Of-Penguins: I think these games are fun and should be kept. They are light-weight.

My interest in computers is programming, but I enjoy these little diversions. I didn't know about AOP before I installed Lubuntu.

whatthefunk
November 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have been using VLC for audio and video for about a week (I have a huge library) and I am sold as well. The less programs with "gnome" in the title, the better, right?

Ive never understood the appeal of VLC. For me, its horrific, one of the worst media players out there. On the other hand, I love Gnome MPlayer. To each his own I guess...

jerrylamos
November 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Gnome was very much a part of the original consortium that started Ubuntu.

My view, I try to get rid of all use of "Compiz" which is a "busy body" if there ever was one. There I am running full screen applications and there is Compiz chewing up cycles in the background even though absolutely no "eye" candy it does is even visible.

Oh, yes, Compiz has to be right up there with ubuntu installer "ubiquity" as occupying space in Launchpad Bugs.

Currently I'm using Unity-2D and Lubuntu's LXDM desktops on various test pc's.

My handiest editor is "gedit" from the gnome tribe which I've even installed on Lubuntu.

MG&TL
November 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Gedit is good, but it looks way better natively.

ronacc
November 13th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Ive never understood the appeal of VLC. For me, its horrific, one of the worst media players out there. On the other hand, I love Gnome MPlayer. To each his own I guess...

if you want to make mplayer even better grab the "real" version from www.mplayerhq.hu/ and also all the codecs . It plays a lot of things the sanitized ubuntu version balks at .

that is one of the attractions of VLC and Zine they just play more things .

ojdon
November 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
1. What do you expect from Lubuntu 12.04?

A pure LXDE experience! Simple as.

2. What applications you want to see in Lubuntu 12.04?

Nothing GNOME dependent. It just adds unneeded bloat. If I wanted to use Gnome applications I'd used the Gnome-Shell environment.

3. What do you think will improve Lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?
Keeping the requirements down such as disk space required for the install, even lower RAM and CPU usage would be great too!

4. What things you DO NOT want to see or have on Lubuntu 12.04?
Like I said above, a lot of LXDE-based distros include GNOME applications to try and increase usability (Like in Peppermint OS including gedit over Leafpad).

5. Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do

Keep up the great work Lubuntu team!

claracc
November 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
First of all thankyou very much to the lubuntu team, for the great work they are carrying out.

I have lubuntu 11.04 in an old pentium III 1 GHz, 512 Ram.

For my computer chromium is a very big resources consumption browser ( no problem with ram but with cpu usage, 100% lots of the time and it is slow in newspapers web pages).

So, for next 12.04 lubuntu release, I would like that other browser would be propossed as default, with less cpu usage. Perhaps some new browser lxde native desktop as epiphany is gnome native?.

Now I use the gnome browser, epiphany, and it goes very well ( no bloated software ) except some bugs, sea monkey could be other alternative.

Also, old pc's as mine, play very bad flash videos with adobe flash player plugin (low motion, 100% CPU), I know this is an adobe flash fault. I got with epiphany browser and viewtube script from userscripts.org to play videos in youtube without flash and consuming CPU 40-50%. So, thinking in this problem, would be good, a lighter browser userscripts compatible (mozilla one?).

Regards

tartalo
November 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I would like that other browser would be propossed as default

What about Midori
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(web_browser)?

MG&TL
November 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM
For my computer chromium is a very big resources consumption browser ( no problem with ram but with cpu usage, 100% lots of the time and it is slow in newspapers web pages).

So, for next 12.04 lubuntu release, I would like that other browser would be propossed as default, with less cpu usage. Perhaps some new browser lxde native desktop as epiphany is gnome native?.

Now I use the gnome browser, epiphany, and it goes very well ( no bloated software ) except some bugs, sea monkey could be other alternative.

I agree, but there was a huge firefox/epiphany/chromium/midori flamewar on the mailing list, and the consensus was 'keep chromium for now'

whatthefunk
November 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I agree, but there was a huge firefox/epiphany/chromium/midori flamewar on the mailing list, and the consensus was 'keep chromium for now'

Thats a shame. Chromium is essentially worthless for me for the reasons stated above. Firefox hasnt been doing so good lately either....

MG&TL
November 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Breakdown:

-Firefox is too slow and ubiquitous
-Chromium's tried and tested, but slow.
-Midori's too buggy.

I shall try and dig out the mail archives for you. But i agree, something like a modified midori for lubuntu would be awesome.

whatthefunk
November 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I know that it wont be included as default, but Ive been using Opera and love it.

kurt18947
November 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
What about Midori
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(web_browser) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_%28web_browser%29)?

I tried Midori for a while. It worked but has some rough spots. Opera seems to have about the same footprint and is more polished. They're both Webkit based and unfortunately both seem to have the odd characters problem when posting replies such as this. I think there's a fix but i don't know what it is. I'm still a FireFox fan, don't care for chromium. If I need speed I prefer Opera.

dirmansyah
November 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I need single application only for handling the appearance of Lubuntu desktop. Currently, if I am not mistaken, we use Look and Feel, OpenBox, and the colour setting of Panel.

I need a rich-feature PIM application, but simple in appearance. I think, Osmo is not as rich as Evolution.

mind mapping application. If one of those available mm apps could be modified for Lubuntu so that *no* java vm is required, it would be better.

MG&TL
November 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I love Opera. Just saying. If only they would release the source code for old version or something, that way they could include in repos.

claracc
November 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM
About office tasks, I don't think it is a good idea to have an office suite as libreoffice or openoffice installed by default.

They could be in the repositories, so people who want install can do it easily.

I think, it is better to have by default a light word proccessor as abiword, a light spreed sheet software, a light presentation software and a light paint software in order not to bloat lubuntu.

jerrylamos
November 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
About office tasks, I don't think it is a good idea to have an office suite as libreoffice or openoffice installed by default.

They could be in the repositories, so people who want install can do it easily.

I think, it is better to have by default a light word proccessor as abiword, a light spreed sheet software, a light presentation software and a light paint software in order not to bloat lubuntu.

I use LibreOffice writer a lot. Abiword is useless for what I do as an "ordinary pc home/internet" user which includes copying, editing, and printing articles on health, recipes, science, and politics from the internet with embedded graphics and photos.

I don't have any problem with doing synaptic install of LibreOffice writer. Now it usually brings in a lot of stuff I never use such as presentation, paint, ...

I've had "unstable" versions of ubuntu development which didn't have synaptic either so I did sudo apt-get install synaptic.

sudo apt-get install would work as well if I could remember the names of the versions.

Now I'm hundreds of miles from any other country so I don't understand the dedication of Ubuntu to install dozens of language packs I will never never use. I took Spanish 60 years ago and German 55 years ago but I'm basically illiterate in either one, let alone Cajun.

Speaking of TOTALLY USELESS programs in the development cycle or even after, it's UPDATE. I've had UPDATE totally destroy installs in unstable ubuntu, and even in RC. I do sudo aptitiude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade. Any time Update runs (I love the option NEVER) I try to cancel it, and if it says "Partial" it's Alt-F4 time.

I update frequently when I want to, in development daily, and DO NOT APPRECIATE SUDDEN UPDATE DROP DOWN WINDOW in the middle of what I'm doing.

Jerry

dajare
November 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My "official" reply to was in post #5 in this thread, but I've watched the discussion unfold with interest, and want to add some "me-too" notes. (How else will dev's know about how broadly certainly perceptions are shared? Below, original poster in bold...)

Rex Bouwense: "I would take all the games off of the default install. They too are easy to install if you want them." And (sorry) the Penguin games are ugly. Bad advert for Lubuntu. (And further apologies to MG&TL)

mathiraj: Font setting dialog for LX Panel. Fonts generally don't take a lot of space, and handling them well would set Lubuntu apart. Also good set of Unicode fonts (some suggestions in my first post in this thread) could contibute to Lubuntu being more decidedly international in appeal.

cogitordi: Menu editor for LX Panel. Agreed. This should be easy to do, and just now, it isn't.

KBD47 + amjjawad: strong arguments for 12.04 being LTS - and I agree.

Other thoughts:
- Browser: for me, Chromium behaves very oddly (= stalls) with Google (!) webapps - and a quick "google" shows I'm not alone; Seamonkey is my consistently most stable, least-memory hungry browser, fwiw. But interested to check out Epiphany, which I've never used.

- File manager: I didn't like PCManFM when I began with Lubuntu, but now I'm a convert. Fast, nice!

- Office apps: there's a strong argument for keeping LibreOffice out of the distro (I use it, have installed it, but that was easy), and the only real "wordprocessor" option (that I'm aware of) is Abiword. Sort of stuck there.

dajare
November 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Now I'm hundreds of miles from any other country so I don't understand the dedication of Ubuntu to install dozens of language packs I will never never use. I took Spanish 60 years ago and German 55 years ago but I'm basically illiterate in either one, let alone Cajun.

This screencast on using Localepurge in Lubuntu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0unSprEurY) might well be of interest. It deals with those "language packs [you] will never use".

(Sorry for the very brief thread hijack!)

cariboo907
November 18th, 2011, 12:28 AM
My point about language packs is, that if you didn't seem them installed during the install process, you'd never know they were there.

Ubuntu is used in almost every country of the world, US users are as much a minority as Canadian users.

ronacc
November 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM
has anyone managed to get an install ( 64bit ) from the lubuntu daily's to boot to dekstop ? the best I've managed so far is getting a working terminal . From there trying to start either lxde or lxdm gives " unknown service" startx gives no screens found .

jerrylamos
November 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM
My point about language packs is, that if you didn't seem them installed during the install process, you'd never know they were there.

Ubuntu is used in almost every country of the world, US users are as much a minority as Canadian users.
Yes, I always see the language packs in every ubuntu install process, and frequently in updates as well. Fine, the Canadians can select their language, and I can select U.S. English, I don't need all the other languages trickling into installs and updates.

This only becomes of interest when ubuntu development wants to make the install .iso bigger and bigger, including things I will never use. Stick to the language pack the user selected on install.

Jerry

ronacc
November 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I agree that automatically installing all the language packs is wasteful . But at the same time the must be included in the .iso's because there is no way of telling beforehand which will be needed . Perhaps a way could be found to only install the one required by the localization selected , leaving any others to be added after install as required .

cariboo907
November 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Yes, I always see the language packs in every ubuntu install process, and frequently in updates as well. Fine, the Canadians can select their language, and I can select U.S. English, I don't need all the other languages trickling into installs and updates.

This only becomes of interest when ubuntu development wants to make the install .iso bigger and bigger, including things I will never use. Stick to the language pack the user selected on install.

Jerry

If you install Ubuntu without a network connection, the language packs don't get installed during the process.

ranch hand
November 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
If you install Ubuntu without a network connection, the language packs don't get installed during the process.
That is what I do.

whatthefunk
November 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I need several language packs and if they didnt come with Lubuntu, I would be less likely to use it.

dajare
November 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM
- Browser: for me, Chromium behaves very oddly (= stalls) with Google (!) webapps - and a quick "google" shows I'm not alone; Seamonkey is my consistently most stable, least-memory hungry browser, fwiw. But interested to check out Epiphany, which I've never used.

I've now used Epiphany. Kept it on my machine for a couple days, but it's gone now! Far too unstable, even though when it was working it was reasonably swift. But no point having a crash-happy browser on hand. Hopefully it will stabilize.

koloron
November 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I'm still on Lubuntu 10.04 so I might not be completely up to date with recent developments - you'll get my wishlist anyways.

what do you expect from lubuntu 12.04?
what applications you want to see in lubuntu 12.04?
what do you think will improve lubuntu 12.04 and make it better than any other release?
what things you do not want to see or have on lubuntu 12.04?
whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do :)

thank you!

I expect 12.04 to keep RAM usage on a fresh install below 150 MB.
The .iso should contain only the necessary applications (-> no games! only one browser!) and if there's a choice, please stick to the less memory demanding apps like Abiword.
LTS? Please?
Games. More than one browser.
I guess some of these problems might already have been adressed in recent versions of Lubuntu but anyhow: It is really important to me to be able to switch the keyboard layout easily because I use a somewhat exotic layout (Neo2, a German layout) and want other people to able to use my computer too without logging off.
Although Lubuntu should come only with packages for the one language I choose, adding other languages should be easy (it is not in Lubuntu 10.04).

I know this mainly from Windows 7 but it might already exist on Linux derivatives too: Changing windows size by dragging a window to the right or left border of the screen so it will take up exactly half the screen. It would be great to extend this feature so that dragging a window to the upper or lower border of the screen will resize the window to take up the upper or lower half of the screen.
Also, I often experienced resizing windows with a touchpad in Lubuntu 10.04 as pretty difficult as the area in which the cursor had to be placed was so minuscule.
The same is true for "remove decoration/decorate" (at least that's how it translates from German) which is a nice feature but difficult to use if the "decoration" is removed and you have to place the cursor exactly on the margin of the window.

Thank you so much for your effort, Lubuntu folks!
koloron

jerrylamos
November 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
I need several language packs and if they didnt come with Lubuntu, I would be less likely to use it.

Great, load the ones you want. That shouldn't mean that the rest of us who don't use the languages you do should be saddled with installing and forever updating unused code.

Next install I'll try without network connection.

Cheers, Jerry

kvalvik01
November 23rd, 2011, 03:53 AM
Libreoffice works just fine under Lubuntu.

I think Lubuntu is a great distro, I wouldn't want to miss it, although my machines would be powerful enough for Ubuntu (which I run on a desktop).

I had some initial troubles installing different languages' input methods, but that works well now.

I recommend you install the Ubuntu-Software-Center, it makes adding programs more convenient (synaptic packet manager works fine, too).

I wish for a workable way of using my CDMA-mobile broadband modem on lubuntu, but it doesn't work in ubuntu either. (GSM does).

A happy Lubuntu user

dirmansyah
November 24th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Do we need "Standard" and "Basic" Lubuntu?

The Standard one is relatively similar to the current one.

The Basic one includes only applications that closely related to the OS aspects, such as power manager, desktop appearances, etc., etc. I am not sure if it should include English language only; but if it does, I have *no* problem.

After installing Lubuntu 11.10, I removed many included-applications since I prefer the other applications with similar function.

Is the current "Alternate install CD" similar to the "Basic" above?

danceswithcats
November 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I've got Lubuntu on a netbook that I use mostly as a writing machine (I know; odd, but it works for me). I've installed the excellent textroom app and would like to see that included, as it stretched my tech abilities to the limit to figure out how to get it working. Combined with Abiword, which is a quirky but likeable word processor, and Ubuntu One, it has served me very well.
I agree that Lubuntu really doesn't need games. I changed to it when Ubuntu Netbook Edition went Unity and because I always had window sizing problems with certain programmes. It has shown me that 'all singing, all dancing' programmes are often just cluttering up the essential tasks for which they're used; I FAR prefer Audacious to Rythmbox or Banshee now.
Congratulations on the good work. I really appreciate it.

KBD47
November 25th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I would love to see a nice weather app in the panel like with all the other desktops.
KBD47

jerrylamos
November 25th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I would love to see a nice weather app in the panel like with all the other desktops.
KBD47

I usually have 5 tabs up on firefox, one of which is NOAA weather with graphical presentation of temperature, wind, humidity, cloud cover, rain/snowfall, etc. every 2 hours for a 2 day period.

Works for me. No applet needed.

Jerry

cariboo907
November 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I usually have 5 tabs up on firefox, one of which is NOAA weather with graphical presentation of temperature, wind, humidity, cloud cover, rain/snowfall, etc. every 2 hours for a 2 day period.

Works for me. No applet needed.

Jerry

Where I live, we can see the weather coming an hour before it gets here, by looking out the window. I use the weather indicator applet to tell me what the temperature outside is.

leclerc65
November 25th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I use Bleachbit to keep only the languages I need.

KBD47
November 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I use a weather applet to see what the temp is outside also. It would be nice if Lubuntu had one like Gnome does. If I want the forecast I can look it up, but having the temp on the panel is nice.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I just came back from a wonderful NEEDED vacation and I'm back to action yet again but thought to make this quick reply/post so that everyone will be fully aware of what is going on behind the scenes :)
Actually it's NOT a secret as EVERYONE and ANYONE can join the mailing list or even check the archived Emails on Launchpad.

First of all, as a reminder, this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11447159&postcount=94) is what I sent via Mailing List.
And here is what I received as a reply:

This is some comments about some proposals you made. Some concerns are probably shared among the community, so it's not useless that I answer some of them :

LTS :
Again, it's not a choice which depends on the users, but a decision made by the developers. Of course I would like to be LTS, like I would like to buy an expensive car. The fact is, we can't. And even if we try, it could be so expensive that it will block us to do new cool stuff, because we have to maintain 12.04.

Applications by default :
The policy is to keep existing applications, unless we think there are serious reasons to switch. In this case, we open a discussion, case by case, on the mailing list. Changing application by default is not something we should do often. People who rely on them expect stability. The others can just install what they want (they have the skills to do this).

Bug reports :
Some suggestions you made should be bug reports, not suggestions. Adding them on the forum will not help developers to fix them. We already have not enough time to look at all the bugs, so I'm sure we will have no time to look at them on a forum, or IRC.

Finally, some of your suggestions was already discussed in the past. I don't know how we can do to avoid the same subjects to come over and over ...

Regards,
Julien LavergnePLEASE, keep in mind (as I confirmed before) that I'm NOT a developer and not even close to that. Whatever decision will be made, it should be made by the developers.

I sent my suggestions as a user NOT as a member of the team. Perhaps I followed the WRONG approach but I don't regret what I did. I'm still learning and one is learning until his/her last breathe.

Thank you!

teh603
November 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM
So when will the next Lubuntu LTS be? I don't think there've been any since it started using the official build system, barring the one for the original Pentiums.

amjjawad
November 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
So when will the next Lubuntu LTS be?

No clue, sorry.

ranch hand
November 25th, 2011, 10:53 PM
As fast as this has been developed I would be really shocked if 14.04, which should be the next LTS under the current dev cycle, was not an LTS for Lubuntu too.

You must keep in mind that there is no depth to the dev part of this team. There is only 24 hours in a day and I suspect they have to do things like work for a living too, Selfish buggers.probably want to eat and feed their families.

I think that they are doing a fantastic job.

If I am not mistaken, Julien is about 75% of the devs on this at this point.

amjjawad
November 26th, 2011, 08:29 PM
As fast as this has been developed I would be really shocked if 14.04, which should be the next LTS under the current dev cycle, was not an LTS for Lubuntu too.
Time will tell and who knows? perhaps we'll have more members by that time :)

There is only 24 hours in a day and I suspect they have to do things like work for a living too, Selfish buggers.probably want to eat and feed their families.

Exactly.

Yes indeed.

I confirm that. He's doing lots of stuff all by himself.

MG&TL
November 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM

You must keep in mind that there is no depth to the dev part of this team. There is only 24 hours in a day and I suspect they have to do things like work for a living too, Selfish buggers.probably want to eat and feed their families.

+1. Julien's all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a team going under one name...

I think that a little more positivity could be shown by the mailing list at times...

Oh, btw, if it isn't in this release, I am certain that the Lubuntu software centre is in next release (as in 12.10).

amjjawad
November 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Oh, btw, if it isn't in this release, I am certain that the Lubuntu software centre is in next release (as in 12.10).

LTS my friend not LSC ;)

john_spiral
November 27th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the developers on a fine distro!

Please keep the alternative install, very useful for installations on low spec machines.

A option to adjust to timing on minimized panel would be nice.

thanks again for all the hard work, keep it coming.

ringo28
November 27th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I hope Lubuntu that will be the next standard after unity!!!, but have choices like ubuntu basic (lubuntu) and after unity.. if i take unity no compiz worked here under Lubuntu compiz worked fine...my choice is lighter for better...

KBD47
November 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Something I have noticed in Lubuntu is that when you add shortcuts to the desktop, Chromium, Firefox, etc., that it is very hard to get them to line up straight moving them around. Anyone else notice this? I wonder if it would be a big job to make moving those icons around easier and more precise?
KBD47

amjjawad
November 28th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Something I have noticed in Lubuntu is that when you add shortcuts to the desktop, Chromium, Firefox, etc., that it is very hard to get them to line up straight moving them around. Anyone else notice this?

You are not alone :)

whatthefunk
November 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Something I have noticed in Lubuntu is that when you add shortcuts to the desktop, Chromium, Firefox, etc., that it is very hard to get them to line up straight moving them around. Anyone else notice this? I wonder if it would be a big job to make moving those icons around easier and more precise?
KBD47

Right click on the icon. Snap to Grid.

KBD47
November 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks!

amjjawad
November 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hi amjjawad. Though I don't run Lubuntu, (look to the left<-----)

Hi my friend and SO SORRY for the late response.
Ubuntu 10.04 is my favorite too but I do love Lubuntu more :)

When 12.04 LTS comes out. If Lubuntu does not get long term support from Ubuntu. What about downloading the core iso of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (I don't know for sure if base iso will be a LTS). Build a LXDE environment on it.

That in case the core iso will be LTS but I have no idea whether it will be LTS or not. Above all, it's not only about the core system. I think the whole thing (OS) must be LTS including the programs/applications. Lubuntu team, unfortunately don't have enough resources for LTS as I already mentioned in my previous post.

For me, I don't care much. After all, I can't even keep one installation more than 6 months because I always test new stuff. Now, I do have a laptop, it might be different little bit but still two years is too long.

Me though. I am in the camp of users who like a fast desktop and can get work done without a lot of clicks. Using computer resources (ram,hardrive,processor) for running a heavy desktop is not my style.

Same here, my friend :)
After all, unused RAM is wasted RAM. Sadly most of the users don't remember that fact.

As always, Good luck to your team on LXDE and Lubuntu.

Thanks a lot :)

I use the command

locateand

find

I use locate when I need to look for something :)

Though I guess a gui one many be easier for new users.
Exactly :)

amjjawad
November 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Right click on the icon. Snap to Grid.

When I shutdown my PC and turn it on again, the same icon will be placed some other place. I think it will take some other time until LXDE Desktop gets more powerful. It's true that LXDE is designed for low system resources but many including me are using it on modern machines. LXDE/Lubuntu users are more these days and the developers MUST be aware of this fact :)

amjjawad
November 29th, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20111128#upcoming

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule

Are you ready? :)

tista
November 29th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys,

So sorry for disturbing your discussions... ;)

Since I have just some questions for development focus of lxpanel... Yeah I love this panel now even though it ran with gtk2 engine!! :)

Here is my screenshot using lxpanel with my gtk theming:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7066163/480/7066163.png (http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7066163/img/7066163.png)
(Click it to Full-size Image!)

Now we have some other panels like "gnome-panel", "XFCE-panel", and "Wingpanel", surely these would run on precise, but one thing.

I really love "centre clock" for panel. :)
Today we might be able to get lots of Hi-Rez LCD display, you know. So even if center clock forced to shrink window-list, I suppose it didn't make any ugly appearances, isn't it? Yep, we already have enough space to place window-list and/or other dock on desktop...

Finally I wish lxpanel could have centre clock...

Cheers.

jerrylamos
November 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
For testing purposes I run Lubuntu and Ubuntu Unity-2D.

(-3D is in love with fuzzy edges and out of focus windows and compiz overhead and larger and larger .iso's.)

For doing "real work" I drop right back to Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS. Fast! Easy! Clear! Comfortable!

Now I'm not a developer, I just try to use linux for as an ordinary user plus submitting launchpad bugs. I've a tower, netbook, and 2 notebooks to test install etc.

My opinion, the more ubuntu development tries to make ubuntu look, feel, and act like a tablet the more ubuntu loses in functionality and clarity. Tablets are usable passively to read, not very usable for active work. Just try to copy a BBC health article with embedded pictures and graphics to a write document, edit it, save it with similar health topics, send it to my wife and son, and print it out.

What I've been meaning to do is see how to get Lubuntu to look, feel, and act like Lucid Lynx 10.04 since the latter will get obsolete.

Keep up the good work!

Jerry

MG&TL
November 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
about the centre clock...can you not do that by mucking around with spacers?

jerrylamos
November 29th, 2011, 05:25 PM
What I've been meaning to do is see how to get Lubuntu to look, feel, and act like Lucid Lynx 10.04 since the latter will get obsolete.

Jerry

Just trying gnome-fallback on precise pangolin. I don't know if it is applicable to lubuntu? Let me try this evening.

Jerry

tista
November 29th, 2011, 05:43 PM
about the centre clock...can you not do that by mucking around with spacers?

Hi MG&TL,

Yeah my previous shot was made by fixed size "spacer" between "digital clock" and "indicators"... ;)
But this method could not place clock in the centre of panel permanently. Because the spacer of lxpanel only defines space within applets, so if a side of applets increased/decreased its own width, then that clock would displace from the desired position, isn't it?

For example, wingpanel has 3 separate Gtk-HBoxes "right", "center" and "left". so wingpanel could put lots of applets into desired/defined position. and additionally wingpanel has also "ordering" indicators. but lxpanel didn't. however it might be fixed by adding Gtk-Arrray for placing indicators, unfortunately I didn't tested yet... actually I had only a choice that purging indicator-applications-gtk2 and putting systray on lxpanel to revive that application indicators...

IMHO, I might need some types of parent GtkBoxes before putting hbox by gtk_box_pack_start to place the applets. :)

cheers.

amjjawad
November 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Here is my screenshot using lxpanel with my gtk theming:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7066163/480/7066163.png (http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/7066163/img/7066163.png)
(Click it to Full-size Image!)

Hi,

I can't see any screenshot?!

tista
November 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I can't see any screenshot?!

Hi amjjawad,

Oops! :/
I've attached it in this time...

could you see it?

regards.

amjjawad
November 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hi amjjawad,

Oops! :/
I've attached it in this time...

could you see it?

regards.

Hi,

It gave me hard time trying to see it (so small) but I did see it :)
Nice and it does fit well on the panel because it's on the top. I like it :)
By the way, I like your avatar which is the same as your Menu's icon ;)

KBD47
November 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Regarding LTS and LXDE: Since next year the repositories for both Mint 13 LTS and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS would be open for 5 years I don't see any reason why installing LXDE would not give you, in essence, a LXDE LTS built on those bases for 5 years support. But of course LXDE would probably not have 5 years support just by installing it on those bases, you would just have security and other software updates for that amount of time.
BTW I have installed LXDE on both Oneiric and on Mint 12 and they run well. It is a simple matter of going to synaptic package manager in both and installing the LXDE meta package then logging out and logging into LXDE. It is to be seen yet whether or not Mint is going to build their next LXDE version on Ubuntu base or pure Debian base. If pure Debian it will likely become a rolling release and prone to breakage. If Ubuntu based it will likely be a 5 year LTS release sometime next year. But I think if someone has old hard ware and wants just to do one install and leave it on there for quite awhile then next year LXDE installed on top of Ubuntu 12.04 or Mint 13 should work for LTS.
My only question would be if such a setup would be as light and fast as regular Lubuntu? Or would it be heavier and run slower than Lubuntu?
KBD47
PS--I don't know if you install LXDE on top of Ubuntu Oneiric (or 12.04 LTS next year) if this will give you pure LXDE Ubuntu, but that is what the page suggests if you remove the Ubuntu desktop:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purelxde
I haven't tried that, but I have used the directions on that site to install the Xubuntu desktop to Ubuntu and then remove it, same with the Kubuntu desktop and removed it. So in my experience the directions are probably good.

linuxusersince2008
November 30th, 2011, 12:51 AM
lubuntu 12.04 should be LTS just like ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu it's only fair for all ubuntu family to support LTS:popcorn:

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Guys,

Julien made it extra clear that we, Lubuntu Team, don't have enough resources to go LTS.
Being LTS is not about the core system but about each and every components (someone correct me please if I'm wrong).
I suggest to get over that and move forward ;)

By the way, there is something to share with you I received via Mailing List for those who don't receive such Emails:

Hi,

The 1st Alpha of Lubuntu 12.04 is planned for Thurday. We started the
ISO testing for Alpha 1, so if you want to help, you can join the
testing process :)

If you know how to use a virtual machine (Virtualbox) and how to install
Lubuntu, you can help ! :) You can follow the steps on this wiki page :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/ISO/Procedures .

We uses a new ISO tracker to collect the results : http://91.189.93.73 (http://91.189.93.73/) .
There are 4 ISOs that you can test : Live CD (Desktop) and Alternate
ISO, both on i386 and amd64. All need to be tested, to be able to
publish an Alpha 1.

To be short, just download the ISO, run it into VirtualBox, check the
testcase on the page of the ISO, and report the result.

You don't need any technical knowledge, and if you have questions, you
can ask on #lubuntu or #ubuntu-testing.

Thanks in advance ! :)

Regards,
Julien Lavergne
I asked him some Qs and here is the answers:

I was unable to open this: http://91.189.93.73 (http://91.189.93.73/)
Site is blocked by my ISP and anyway it doesn't seem a valid IP address anyway.
Ah :( but it's temporaly, the site should be available on a real DNS adress for Alpha 2 ( http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/). Still, the ISOs are available in http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/ is people just want to have a look.

Another thing: I understand testing in Virtual Machines (VirtualBox) is SAFE but will that be the same as testing on real installation?
Not exactly, because the hardware on the virtual machine is generic. You can test many things on a vm, but it's nice to test it also on a real hardware.

However, for Alpha 1, it's not important to test it on real hardware. It's still very early in the cycle. It's more critical for Beta ISO for example.

Regards,

KBD47
November 30th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I would be curious to know what is required to support a distro like Lubuntu for 5 years? I just checked the repositories and the software and updates for 11.10 Lubuntu are all pointed to Oneiric and Canonical. I was thinking Lubuntu had its own repositories, if not, why couldn't a 12.04 Lubuntu just point to the LTS Precise repositories for 5 years support? I'm trying to understand what requires manpower for 5 years of LTS support in Lubuntu if everything is pointed at the Canonical repositories and will be pointed at Precise repositories for 12.04. If that is the case, wouldn't it be 5 years support by default based on the set repositories?
Not wanting to give the devs a hard time, just trying to understand what extra work is involved if the repositories are already being maintained by Canonical/Ubuntu.
KBD47

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I would be curious to know what is required to support a distro like Lubuntu for 5 years? I just checked the repositories and the software and updates for 11.10 Lubuntu are all pointed to Oneiric and Canonical. I was thinking Lubuntu had its own repositories, if not, why couldn't a 11.10 Lubuntu just point to the LTS Precise repositories for 5 years support? I'm trying to understand what requires manpower for 5 years of LTS support in Lubuntu if everything is pointed at the Canonical repositories and will be pointed at Precise repositories for 12.04. If that is the case, wouldn't it be 5 years support by default based on the set repositories?
KBD47

I'm currently half awake half asleep with some pain in my stomach so answering your question(s) is BAD idea :)
However, I promise I'll answer you and make it extra clear to anyone over here.
Julien, the main developer of Lubuntu made it extra clear after I sent him my suggestions/ideas for 12.04.

I'll try to find that email :)

KBD47
November 30th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks, and get some rest :-)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:17 AM
You can now follow the progress of Lubuntu development on status.ubuntu.com (http://status.ubuntu.com/).

LTS :
I do hope it's clear enough.
For further information, I do need to have some rest. I don't prefer to ask Julien because he's SO BUSY and doing lots of stuff all by himself.
It's everyone's right to ask why Lubuntu won't go LTS but I see no point as long as the developers themselves are explaining why?

Anyway, I promised to provide more information to end this debate once and for all :)

Edit:
I updated it the first post :)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks, and get some rest :-)

I'm trying to leave my PC but something is dragging me to it ... Ops, not again :P

You welcome ;)

TerryNewton
November 30th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Regarding Lubuntu 12.04 being LTS or not... does it matter?
Well yes as far as directly supporting (limited resources), but it's pointed to the normal Ubuntu repository (at least 11.10 was and lubuntu-desktop is), so from a user's point of view that just wants to keep their system reasonably up-to-date, any derivative of 12.04 is effectively an LTS. However even for an LTS, app updates including the GUI generally only happen for the first couple years, after that it's just major bug fixes and updates to the core OS components (which I still get even on my 8.04 system). Which is fine, and one of the good things about running an LTS. If I want a newer version I'll use a PPA deb etc.

BTW I love lxpanel, works with Gnome Shell, Unity, gnome-fallback and in its own custom Gnome session. Thanks to -p and a bit of bash, all installed at once in addition to LXDE or Lubuntu, each with its own configuration. Very nice.

KBD47
November 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Slightly off topic, the LXDE forum web site is down, anyone know when it will be back up again?

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Slightly off topic, the LXDE forum web site is down, anyone know when it will be back up again?

I stopped visiting it because it's down every now and then. I didn't login to LXDE Forum in two weeks or more maybe. They are having problems with the server or something and not sure when they will manage to fix it. I have sent emails twice or more and I know they are aware of that.

I think it's up. I was checking it a while ago and it works but a bit slow.

KBD47
November 30th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yes, it's working now.
Thanks.
KBD47

linuxusersince2008
November 30th, 2011, 08:58 PM
if they can't support lubuntu for 5 years why not 3 years?:confused: or atleat a year it will be nice if people didn't have to upgade every 6 months.

KBD47
November 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
If what others and I think is correct, Lubuntu 12.04 will have 18 mos. of patches and updates to LXDE/Lubuntu and 5 years of security and other updates relating to Ubuntu/Precise. If so, I can live with that. It is getting to be a pain installing and reinstalling my software and applications every six months or so on my computer. Next LTS release I plan on choosing 2-3 of the LTS, probably Lubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04, and Mint 13 to leave on my computer. Those would probably last the life of my netbook. Anything else I want to run will be in VB or DVDs and USB sticks.
KBD47

cariboo907
November 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM
if they can't support lubuntu for 5 years why not 3 years?:confused: or atleat a year it will be nice if people didn't have to upgade every 6 months.

All interim releases (between LTS releases) are supported for two years, what's your problem again? :)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Upgrading is just an option, you do NOT have to go for it if you are happy with the current version/release you have and if everything is ok. I did not install (I don't do upgrades) Lubuntu 11.10 unless I wanted to get rid of all the systems on my PC and install Lubuntu as the main OS and nothing else but Lubuntu. Otherwise, I was so much happy with Lubuntu 11.04.

I understand some/most users are always looking for "the latest" release without clear understanding about what is really going on and why they are doing so. No offense, I'm just saying what I've noticed :)

linuxusersince2008
November 30th, 2011, 09:25 PM
i'm still on lubuntu 11.04 since 11.10 has bugs that needs to be work out. and 18 months is not that long if
look at it. but that's just my opinion.:P my mistake about the LTS releases.

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
If what others and I think is correct, Lubuntu 12.04 will have 18 mos. of patches and updates to LXDE/Lubuntu and 5 years of security and other updates relating to Ubuntu/Precise. If so, I can live with that. It is getting to be a pain installing and reinstalling my software and applications every six months or so on my computer. Next LTS release I plan on choosing 2-3 of the LTS, probably Lubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04, and Mint 13 to leave on my computer. Those would probably last the life of my netbook. Anything else I want to run will be in VB or DVDs and USB sticks.
KBD47

My friend, you are confused again :)

As cariboo907 posted, any release that is NOT LTS will be supported officially for two years. FOR ME, two years is way too much. NO ONE lives forever and lots of things could happen and change in that period so imagine what could happen in 5 years? :)

As I just posted, if everything is working for you, why to upgrade? NO NEED to do that at all. As they say, why to fix it if it's not broken yet? so let's say, why to upgrade it if everything is working perfectly?

We all must understand what's the real/main point of upgrading and why to upgrade, why to install or re-install, etc.

Next LTS release I plan on choosing 2-3 of the LTS, probably Lubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04, and Mint 13 to leave on my computer. Those would probably last the life of my netbook.
I do respect your opinion but I disagree with you. Can you make sure your machines will work (as hardware) for 5 years without a hitch? can you make sure nothing wrong will happen to the OS itself?
NO OS is prefect, period. I'm writing this from experience.

I'm honestly against the 6 months release cycle and I'm sure most of users will disagree with me but that's my opinion. Take Lubuntu or LXDE for example ... have a look at each and every component. Why still there is no stable release (version 1)? why there are too many bugs? Real Life keep the developers busy not to mention in most cases it's a one man job. PCMan was busy and he sent the last month or so saying he got some free time to work on PCManFM. He is working on version 1 right now. Julien is the main developer for Lubuntu and he's doing lots of stuff. IMHO, all of them, no matter how good they are, in 6 months, they can't fix everything (bugs) and at the same time come up with new ideas for the next release.

Anyway, it's a long debate that I prefer NOT to go into it right now.

For me, whether it's LTS or not? whether it's stable or not? it doesn't matter. What does matter is: A good, nice, strong and stable system that suit my needs and give me less headache :)

After all, I'm so much comfortable because I'm using Linux :)

linuxusersince2008
November 30th, 2011, 09:43 PM
i do like the idea of upgrading every six months but it just a bother me a bit but i know i don't have upgrade right away. 11.10 does have some compatibility issues like my addons in firefox they don't display correctly
and when typing in passwords and usernames. or when uninstalling programs.:)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM
i do like the idea of upgrading every six months but it just a bother me a bit but i know i don't have upgrade right away. 11.10 does have some compatibility issues like my addons in firefox they don't display correctly
and when typing in passwords and usernames. or when uninstalling programs.:)

If I were you, I would never allow to any problem to block or stop me from using what I want :)

If you do have problems with 11.10, start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum and send me a PM with your thread link ONLY if it's about Lubuntu as this is the only thing I'm supporting right now :P
I've been so active on Ubuntu Problems, specially booting and partitions issues (I LOVE THAT) but ... not anymore, I'm all into Lubuntu right now :)

P.S.
Actually I've been away from Ubuntu for sometime. I miss 10.04 :(
I might plug my SATA HDD (I'm using an old IDE right now) which has Ubuntu 10.04 and use it once again. I really love it.

linuxusersince2008
November 30th, 2011, 09:58 PM
i agree, ubuntu 10.04 was the best, i also like 8.04 too :)

amjjawad
November 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM
i also like 8.04 too :)

Sadly, at that time, I was stuck with Windows :(
Thank God I'm no more stuck there :D

leclerc65
November 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM
The only way not to itch for upgrades is abstaining from reading forums.:(

cariboo907
November 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM
The best version is always the next one. :)

KBD47
December 1st, 2011, 05:22 AM
People are drawn to LTS for stability. My understanding is that LTS releases are built on Debian Testing rather than Debian Unstable like normal Ubuntu releases, so it is more solid from the start. If we didn't like Lubuntu so much we probably wouldn't care if it is LTS :-)
I have plenty of hard drive space so I multiple boot on the computer I use most. I like to have one or two stable systems and one or two newer systems. I just installed Mint Debian Xfce, which is a risky proposition except that after I ran all the updates and made sure everything was working well I disabled everything but the security updates so it should be pretty stable for a long while.
The confusion comes from the fact that if the Precise/Ubuntu repositories are still open for 5 years, even if Lubuntu 12.04 is not officially an LTS wouldn't it still be getting updates for 5 years because of the other repositories?
KBD47

teh603
December 1st, 2011, 01:11 PM
My friend, you are confused again :)

As cariboo907 posted, any release that is NOT LTS will be supported officially for two years. FOR ME, two years is way too much. NO ONE lives forever and lots of things could happen and change in that period so imagine what could happen in 5 years? :)

No, but all it takes to really mess things up and cause someone to *need* an LTS is two releases as bad as Karmic, in a row.

At least Karmic was bad for me, particularly the fritzed cell modem driver, occasional boot failures, and the whole thing being generally less stable than Jaunty or Lucid.

jerrylamos
December 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
I have several ubuntu partitions running example lucid 10.04.3 LTS, meerkat 10.10 with tv-viewer for recording shows (e.g. Victoria's Secret Runway 2011), no narwhal's but a couple ocelot 11.10, and a couple pangolin 12.04's one an alpha 1 install, another a lubuntu 12.04, others from upgrading from ocelot.

Even on my older Thinkpad R31 with 20 gb hard drive there's three ubuntu's.

On occasion I try tiny core, bodhi linux, semplice linux but lately gnome-session-fallback is taking the place of the other versions. Simple and easy to use. I do the "imitation tablet" Unity's just looking for bugs.

If I'm really dubious about an ubuntu I run it live from the .iso or a usb hard drive. This pangolin is from a usb hard drive on a $250 netbook which runs Unity-3D (at the moment gnome-fallback), Windoze 7, and a couple ubuntu's on the 250 GB hard drive.

At about 10 GB partition size there's lots of room and if any given ubuntu install is sour so what. Write a launchpad bug and on to the next.

Now on my Acer notebook, an ocelot Beta 1 install got an error on "apt configure" which screwed grub 2 royally, grub rescue commands didn't work, so it took about 4 hours with a recovery CD (lucid LTS) to get going again.

Last winter a narwhal install blew my Acer notebook's hard drive so I had to re-install Windoze 7 from 5 DVD's. Ugh! Why Winsdoze 7? My wife uses some commercial software to maintain a couple websites. Dreamweaver is not available on linux.

Have fun as a tester/user.

Jerry

caieng
December 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you for sharing 12.04 alpha 1 with me.

I enjoyed it, it works well. I have one suggestion, and one observation of a tiny, banal error, probably already fixed:
error: "Thank you for choosing Lubuntu 11.10"

Suggestion:

Look, my experience may be completely eccentric, and idiosyncratic, so, I hope you will discount whatever I write here, as the notions of a fuddy duddy...

For which purpose do I use Lubuntu?

url=http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/caieng-308178/sharing-the-cpu-17682/

I use Lubuntu primarily, to listen to music.

**** complaint *****

I am obliged to wait for some minutes, during both downloading, and installation, while Gnome Mplayer, and Audacious are installed.

Then, I am obliged to waste more time, with Synaptic Package manager, REMOVING these instruments.

Finally, I spend more time, now, finally, downloading and installing VLC.

********** end complaint, begin suggestion *************

LXDE is a LIGHT weight desktop environment.

I am proposing that, in harmony with that philosophy, Ubuntu steps up to the plate, and provides a superior installation environment for its users.

What is needed to improve the already EXCELLENT installer (By far, the best in the business--autologin--downloading while asking user information--)by offering the user, a choice of software to (a) download, and then, (b) install.

I don't want crappy Gnome junk on my LXDE. I sure don't want MPlayer. I couldn't use Audacious, if someone paid me to do so. I don't need or want Bluetooth. Let me choose what I DO WANT, and it will save me time. Specifically, provide an OPTION, to have the "complete" version, or just a "net install" version.

With the net install version, then, the user can affirm need for bluetooth, request opera instead of chrome, get VLC right from the get go, instead of all the fiddle faddle I must engage in right now.....

I want a lean, slick, sleek, lively OS. I don't want a cluttered array of stuff.

I think that even if you do nothing else, Lubuntu will remain a valuable tool, which I respect, and enjoy. My comments above, were intended not to criticize the developers, who have obviously worked very diligently, but to propose a method intended to enhance the installation experience for those users with specific aims and goals.

regards,

CAI ENG

mystika1
December 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM

1.) I am expecting to love it as I know they have been working very hard on making improvements. It is a wonderful operating system already so to me it is a matter of tweaking.
2.) I would like to see something like xcompmgr in the settings to make it easier to enable compositing. I don't need compiz or anything fancy but I would like to be able to use conky or docky. It was easy to download xcompmgr from the net but I think noobs would appreciate it. Also, I do use leafpad very often but found that I had to install kate to do some of my more advanced editing. Maybe it's just me....I am not a guru so maybe it is just that I don't know how to properly use leafpad. Maybe someone can suggest something else besides Kate that I may like. None of this is a problem for me as it is more than easy to install em on my own. Just saying cause you asked. :D
3.)Well..I actually love Lubuntu over the others so with the addition of the things I mentioned in #2 I would think it is just about perfect. The only other distros I glance at now are things like crunchbang that feature openbox. I no longer like bloated OS. Not because my machine can't handle it, but because I like a super fast machine.
4.) Well I just don't want unnecessary bloat...compiz, LibreOffice and things like that. I find Abbiword and Gnumeric more than enough for my needs.
5.) I love being able to customize my machine to suite my taste. It was one of the things that drew me into Lubuntu. I hated not having that freedom when I had Ubuntu with Unity installed. I wanted to stay within the buntu family though because after using debian, Arch, Chakra, Aptosid and many others I just decided it was time to use something that works for the most part...out of the box. Hours of configuring sound and video are ok for some..but I guess I am getting old. I just don't have time for that anymore. I am so glad that I tried Lubuntu.

Thanks,

Penny

mystika1
December 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
What is needed to improve the already EXCELLENT installer (By far, the best in the business--autologin--downloading while asking user information--)by offering the user, a choice of software to (a) download, and then, (b) install.

Excellent Idea! That would truly be awesome as it would make the OS truly yours from the start.

Sincerely,

Penny

amjjawad
December 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
No, but all it takes to really mess things up and cause someone to *need* an LTS is two releases as bad as Karmic, in a row.

At least Karmic was bad for me, particularly the fritzed cell modem driver, occasional boot failures, and the whole thing being generally less stable than Jaunty or Lucid.

Isn't Karmic was released in October, 2010? :)
Let's be positive and let's wait until the final release to decide whether 12.04 will be a disappointment or a huge success :)

This is what I would do but I understand YMMV :)

Again, I do understand why users are looking forward to see a LTS release but if you think about it, you don't really have to use the latest release (12.04) in case, as per your opinion, it might be a bad release. Again, this is too early to talk about right now :)

ranch hand
December 3rd, 2011, 01:16 AM
Isn't Karmic was released in October, 2010? :)
Let's be positive and let's wait until the final release to decide whether 12.04 will be a disappointment or a huge success :)

This is what I would do but I understand YMMV :)

Again, I do understand why users are looking forward to see a LTS release but if you think about it, you don't really have to use the latest release (12.04) in case, as per your opinion, it might be a bad release. Again, this is too early to talk about right now :)
Kinky Kitty was released in October of 99.

Like all releases following a LTS it had an awful lot of stuff new in it. Have no idea why folks can't get the reality of the release cycle.

The LTS is built to be more stable, That means that little or nothing new is added to it. The x.10 following it has everything since the freeze for the x.10 before the LTS to be added to it. This does, believe it or not, cause more problems.

The x.04 after the LTS is usually pretty straight forward and not too hectic. Everything is caught up.

The x.10 before the LTS is another rather wild one. This is due to the policy of not building an LTS with things not tried before. So that x.10 before the LTS has a lot of things thrown into it.

It was, for instance, important to get grub-pc into 9.10-testing (Kinky Kitty) so that it could be in the LTS. Getting the bugger to work was a little more work than expected. Other things were somewhat neglected. What a shock.

This forum is for 12.04-testing. This is a LTS release. Testing, for those that like the excitement of testing, this one will be relatively boring.

Next time will be more FUN.

On my box Kinky Kitty, after release, actually ran great, a release that I had almost no trouble with at all. I did have to change the splash screen and theme right away so as to not be ill but the folks that design the look of Ubuntu seem to have some rather "interesting" (read strange) ideas of what looks good. The OS itself was rock solid.

KBD47
December 3rd, 2011, 02:55 AM
I did a short review of Lubuntu 11.10 and mention some features I'd like to see in future releases:
http://kbd-thinkingoutloud.blogspot.com/2011/12/lubuntu-1110-light-and-fast.html

amjjawad
December 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Kinky Kitty was released in October of 99.

Ok, this if final :)
It's October, 2009.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala

jerrylamos
December 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
This forum is for 12.04-testing. This is a LTS release. Testing, for those that like the excitement of testing, this one will be relatively boring.

So far 12.04 A1 pretty boring so I'm using the extra time to try lubuntu, gnome-fallback, bodhi, compare back to Lucid Lynx & Meerkat, running .iso's from hard drive file, ....

Likely try a minimal install if I can figure out how, and just put in what I use e.g. firefox, flashplayer, gparted, synaptic, samba network file sharing, LibreOffice write & calc, screen area capture, some desktop manager(s), picasa, ...

Have fun.

Jerry

cariboo907
December 4th, 2011, 03:52 AM
So far 12.04 A1 pretty boring so I'm using the extra time to try lubuntu, gnome-fallback, bodhi, compare back to Lucid Lynx & Meerkat, running .iso's from hard drive file, ....

Likely try a minimal install if I can figure out how, and just put in what I use e.g. firefox, flashplayer, gparted, synaptic, samba network file sharing, LibreOffice write & calc, screen area capture, some desktop manager(s), picasa, ...

Have fun.

Jerry

Use the Alternate install CD, and select CLI, you can then install only what you want. Stay away from the *-desktop meta packages, as they will install many packages you don't want or need

MrGreen
December 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Have run Alpha1 under Virtualbox without any problems...

Would like to see Lubuntu kept to a minimum size for older systems but equally less bloated for newer ones.

LXDE to me now is a real alternative to Gnome2.

KBD47
December 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
When are we likely to see the Lubuntu RC, sometime in March?

cariboo907
December 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
When are we likely to see the Lubuntu RC, sometime in March?

There won't be an RC, beta 2 will be released March 29. 2012

vanquishedangel
December 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Fist off I love Lubuntu, I have tried many linuxes and this one I love best.

I would like to see Lubuntu stay small and fast as i use old computers alot. Light weight aps are great.

My suggestions
1. May switch to epiphany as the default browser because it is lighter than chromium

2. Default install of both hdparm and sdparm, older computers still need it.

3. Mplayer seems to always have issues for me, so i usually install totem but this time i tried vlc and it works, A hassle free player would be nice.

4. a swappiness gui, I always change mine from 60 to 20 so the default could be changed to 20 or so and a gui added for those that need a higher number.

5. CONCURRENCY=shell should be default

6. optimize internet connection settings or create a gui to do this and casche pressure, mine looks like this in sysctl.conf (copy and paste)
vm.swappiness=10
## increase TCP max buffer size setable using setsockopt()
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
## increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
## min, default, and max number of bytes to use
## set max to at least 4MB, or higher if you use very high BDP paths
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
## don't cache ssthresh from previous connection
net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf = 1
## recommended to increase this for 1000 BT or higher
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 2500
## for 10 GigE, use this, uncomment below
## net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 30000
## Turn off timestamps if you're on a gigabit or very busy network
## Having it off is one less thing the IP stack needs to work on
## net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0
## disable tcp selective acknowledgements.
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 0
##enable window scaling
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

7. I use an hpdc7100 the has a ich6 and the sound is always muted when i restart the computer, this is very annoying but liveable.

That is a few off the top of my head and I hope it helps for ideas. I am no programmer but I hope i am a decent problem solver lol.

ronacc
December 7th, 2011, 08:01 PM
is the announcement in another thread about the .ISO going to 750mb relevant to Lubuntu ? If so since a cd install is then out of the question how about more control over what is installed for those that wish to customize their installs from the start ? There are atleast 2 different groups of people using Lubuntu . 1 those with older hdw who need a lighter desktop . 2 those who prefer a simpler DM sans glitz and eyecandy but who have hardware that is not performance challenged and want heavy duty apps . No one set of defaults will satisfy both groups so why not have a choice right at the start of "simple" , a set of defaults suitable for older hardware and "custom" allowing the user maximum control over what gets installed including restricted drivers and codecs and "non opensource apps" .

KBD47
December 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks!

cariboo907
December 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
is the announcement in another thread about the .ISO going to 750mb relevant to Lubuntu ? If so since a cd install is then out of the question how about more control over what is installed for those that wish to customize their installs from the start ? There are atleast 2 different groups of people using Lubuntu . 1 those with older hdw who need a lighter desktop . 2 those who prefer a simpler DM sans glitz and eyecandy but who have hardware that is not performance challenged and want heavy duty apps . No one set of defaults will satisfy both groups so why not have a choice right at the start of "simple" , a set of defaults suitable for older hardware and "custom" allowing the user maximum control over what gets installed including restricted drivers and codecs and "non opensource apps" .

I really disagree with having two different installation options, the only install process, should be what we have now, anyone that wants to add application post install, is welcome to it.

Running other operating systems, you have to download and install extra applications to make them usable, Ubuntu includes enough to have a usable system from the start, for extra customization, it's easy enough to add extra packages.

ronacc
December 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I know I can add anything I wish after install . I was thinking of never installing things I don't want in the first place . And btw not having them entangled in meta packages that keep trying to reinstall them after I have removed them , I am sure there are many other users in the same position I am of preferring things the way they want them as opposed to someone else's idea of one size fits all . And if you note my first sentence in my previous post was about whether the .iso was no longer going to be restricted to cd size , if not , space is no longer a valid argument against choice .

cariboo907
December 8th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I know I can add anything I wish after install . I was thinking of never installing things I don't want in the first place . And btw not having them entangled in meta packages that keep trying to reinstall them after I have removed them , I am sure there are many other users in the same position I am of preferring things the way they want them as opposed to someone else's idea of one size fits all . And if you note my first sentence in my previous post was about whether the .iso was no longer going to be restricted to cd size , if not , space is no longer a valid argument against choice .

I think with Lubuntu, the problems is filling up a CD, not going over sized. :) The last iso, I downloaded last week, didn't even use 600MiB.

As far as meta packages are concerned, you can use the no recommends option with apt-get and aptitude, and you can also set it in synaptic. the only time you are stuck with all the packages including recommends is if you use the software center.

ranch hand
December 8th, 2011, 09:21 PM
And "aptitude keep-all" breaks all meta packages and lists all packages as manually installed.

Ruhani04
December 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Just a few words from a new supporter of Lubuntu.
Like so many I used to stand behind Ubuntu. And like so many I moved away because of Unity and Gnome 3. I tried my best but both DEs drove me nuts.
I am now somewhat familiar with Lubuntu ( LXDE). Coming from classic gnome I would suggest the following:
- improve ease of keybindings: I use a lot of shortcut keys and LXDE with openbox requires quite some time to get used to. Some GUI would for sure please a lot of new users.
- GUI for multimedia settings: I found nothing out of the box that gives that capability.
- hardware support : It is a common complaint that Linux requires some in depth knowledge to get a lot of hardware working. F.i. it took me several hours today to get my multifunction machine (printer and scanner) properly set up. Whatever can be done to improve that will help.
- GUI for menu customization: A simple user interface would be a nice upgrade for that.
I am sure it is nothing new that I am suggesting but coming from Ubuntu/Gnome I found that GUIs made things a lot easier.
I have tried pretty much any major linux distribution but I am very glad I switched to Lubuntu. I love things simple. Thx for all the hard work that went into it.

amjjawad
December 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM

I for one will disagree to go for more than 700MB as far as Lubuntu is concerned. However, if the developers will decide that, I have no control over their decision and I think no one else has.

As for your suggestion, I think it's good. I was actually thinking of two types of iso:
1- Normal Lubuntu (current one)
2- Much Lighter version of Lubuntu

Problem is, we at Lubuntu Team don't have much resources and our options are somehow limited.

I wish it's not 6 months cycle or maybe more developers and testers will make the job easier.

amjjawad
December 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I really disagree with having two different installation options, the only install process, should be what we have now, anyone that wants to add application post install, is welcome to it.

Running other operating systems, you have to download and install extra applications to make them usable, Ubuntu includes enough to have a usable system from the start, for extra customization, it's easy enough to add extra packages.

I also agree here. Again, maybe two different ISOs (only if we have enough resources) will give more options to those who want extra light Lubuntu.

I have done some tests recently and the results are really surprising. I'm looking for that extra Lubuntu System at the moment and NO, I don't want to build my system, I want something that will work out of the box. I don't have Wired Internet here at my room, only wireless.

amjjawad
December 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM

+1

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule

cariboo907
December 14th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I also agree here. Again, maybe two different ISOs (only if we have enough resources) will give more options to those who want extra light Lubuntu.

I have done some tests recently and the results are really surprising. I'm looking for that extra Lubuntu System at the moment and NO, I don't want to build my system, I want something that will work out of the box. I don't have Wired Internet here at my room, only wireless.

I see there isn't an alternate install Lubuntu iso available, if there was, that should satisfy the users that want to install a lighter version of any of the Ubuntu family.

tyhee88
December 14th, 2011, 03:28 AM
The answers to the questions from the original post are near the bottom of this post.

This post is probably too late and too little, but ...

I really, really like lxdm and have had problems with lightdm, gdm and gdm3.

To go on in at some length, I'm one of the migrants from the main edition of Ubuntu. I really like the XFCE desktop so switched to Mint XFCE, then Debian Testing XFCE, then Xubuntu 11.10, on machines with processors from P4-1.8 up to Pentium D, and 512 MB RAM to 3 GB. (I also use other distros on work machines.)

In each case I ended up, after a time, with stability problems just after logging in. Most of the time things would be fine, but occasionally I'd get a screen of death and while sometimes I could get to a terminal and login from there (and startx) sometimes I couldn't find a way out without hard booting.

Finally I tried Lubuntu 11.10 and discovered I preferred it to Xubuntu by a large margin, not just because of the stability (it's been perfect so far, after about a month, though FF 8.0 has crashed on me a couple of times, which I'm assuming is FF) but the speed is sensational, the system resource use better than XFCE (which itself is miles better than Gnome 3,) the login screen is set up as I like it (without names to choose, just type your name, then your password-yes, I know that can be configured, but with my limited knowledge I've managed it in gdm3 but not in lightdm) and switching users was nearly instantaneous. It wasn't quite as easy to configure as XFCE, but for my purposes the configuration options are, for the most part, fine.

(I'd be remiss if I didn't state I've run into one possible bug which I'll be posting about in another thread.)

Anyway, with lxdm being, to me, one of the things that made Lubuntu more attractive than some of the alternatives, it was with some dismay that I read about Lubuntu switching to lightdm for the next release, to be consistent with the other buntus.

It ain't broke. I don't understand the reason for fixing it, nor the reason for wanting all the buntus to be the same. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and to my mind lxdm is perfectly suited for Lubuntu.

To the developers-congratulations on a superb job. It's really impressive what you've done with Lubuntu.

To answer the questions from the original post:

I can't ask for more than what I find in Lubuntu 11.10. Beyond bug fixes, security updates etc it should remain as it is-a really lightweight gtk+ desktop environment which is reasonably easy to configure and use.
Come to think of it, one small thing-it was more work than it should have been for me to get proper panel icons for Leafpad and for Gnumeric. A weather icon one can add to the panel, either on the clock like in Gnome or otherwise, would be nice.

I don't care. I get rid of many of the defaults anyway. The defaults were ok. One thing I'd look for is something akin to gthumb-a lightweight picture viewer with some picture editing functions.

I like it as it is. As LXDE itself evolves and adds a few more configuration aids, this should be a great distro. I don't think all the buntus should be the same, btw. There's a reason why I'm on Lubuntu, with 2nd choice Xubuntu, rather than the main version.

-a change in the display manager
-instability or slowing down the system
-change for change's sake
-I'm sure I'm a minority here, but I'm not interested in adding a software manager similar to Ubuntu's software center. Synaptic, apt or apt-get are just fine for me.
-I don't think light distros should require a DVD size iso-it just doesn't make sense to me. I think the applications should be kept minimal enough to continue to fit on a CD. Kubuntu or Ubuntu-fine, they're really for different machines anyway (though some of us like light distros even on better machines) but for a lightweight distro, supposedly good for older hardware, it seems silly to expand the iso to DVD size, as well as making things more difficult for those whose burners won't burn DVDs. I for one own several of those machines.

Whatever in your mind and you'd like to share it, please do :smile:

done, in more detail than I'm sure anyone is interested in, above.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to wade through this post.

b

teh603
December 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Y'know, while I like Lubuntu, I keep finding myself migrating back to Kubuntu. Kate is just so much more full- featured than Gedit or any of the other notepads- the killer feature being the ability to make all my text files dos/windows style by default. Between that and having to install pyrenamer (another killer app, long story), there's just too many packages to install and its easier to stick to what I'm used to.

/sigh

Which is a damn shame, because Lubuntu is a wonderful peewee distro.

amjjawad
December 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I see there isn't an alternate install Lubuntu iso available, if there was, that should satisfy the users that want to install a lighter version of any of the Ubuntu family.

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/11.10/release/

If the overall performance after installing the alternate version will be exactly the same as the normal version of Lubuntu then this is not what I'm looking for :)

I'm looking for a version of Lubuntu that can actually work on less than 256MB of RAM. I don't like or let's say I can't use the Minimal version (I don't have wired connection, only wireless - my room is far from the router and I had to use range extender to get the signal - long story) so I'm looking for something with less services and stuff that will work on LOW RAM Machines.

However, I'll give that a try (alternate) and see the difference myself :)

Soon, will write my test results on my blog. Can't wait to do that :)
I've tested many systems like Xububuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 11 LXDE, Lubuntu 11.04, Lubuntu 11.10, Peppermint and CrunchBang. I managed to produce 3 different cases: Totally Frozen Machine (Swap OFF, RAM is fully used), Very Slow (Swap ON, RAM is fully used) and Slow or Normal (Swap ON, more than 256MB RAM was used).

The machine I'm using has the ability to use 32MB for the shared Video Memory up to 256MB. For some reason, the remaining is not 256MB but 242MB instead which make things even more interesting.

amjjawad
December 14th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Y'know, while I like Lubuntu, I keep finding myself migrating back to Kubuntu. Kate is just so much more full- featured than Gedit or any of the other notepads- the killer feature being the ability to make all my text files dos/windows style by default. Between that and having to install pyrenamer (another killer app, long story), there's just too many packages to install and its easier to stick to what I'm used to.

/sigh

Which is a damn shame, because Lubuntu is a wonderful peewee distro.

If I'm not mistaken, first time and that was the LAST time I was on KDE System, it was with Kubuntu 10.04 and my experience with it lasted for few mins and that's all :)
Since that time, I have never ever looked into any KDE System, period.

I don't know? maybe because it gives the feeling of using Windows but Linux Style? or maybe because it's even heavier than Unity and slower? I'm not sure, I just didn't like it, sorry.
However, I'm a big fan of K3b which is an KDE Application.

Don't get me wrong, it's just that KDE is not my cup of tea, that's all.

Back to topic (Lubuntu), I'm glad you like Lubuntu :)

teh603
December 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, first time and that was the LAST time I was on KDE System, it was with Kubuntu 10.04 and my experience with it lasted for few mins and that's all :)
Since that time, I have never ever looked into any KDE System, period.

I don't know? maybe because it gives the feeling of using Windows but Linux Style? or maybe because it's even heavier than Unity and slower? I'm not sure, I just didn't like it, sorry. Its because a lot of the KDE apps are more fully-featured than comparable Gnome or GTK ones- I don't have to spend an hour in the package manager installing more packages to get the features I need. KDE is also much easier to theme than GTK- based stuff.

Built-in theming, bulk renaming, and being able to create dos/windows text files by default are on my wish list for Lubuntu, by the way.

Edit: And please for the love of Pete, don't get rid of Synaptic the way main-trunk Ubuntu has!

However, I'm a big fan of K3b which is an KDE Application.

Don't get me wrong, it's just that KDE is not my cup of tea, that's all.

Back to topic (Lubuntu), I'm glad you like Lubuntu :)Its got potential, it just needs to catch up.

amjjawad
December 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Edit: And please for the love of Pete, don't get rid of Synaptic the way main-trunk Ubuntu has!

I was looking for that email where Lubuntu Team was talking about that but I can't find it. Synaptic will be there, don't worry. Not only Synaptic, I hope Lubuntu Software Center will be ready too.

Its got potential
+1

it just needs to catch up.
It just needs more resources. It's doing great IMHO.

cariboo907
December 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/11.10/release/

If the overall performance after installing the alternate version will be exactly the same as the normal version of Lubuntu then this is not what I'm looking for :)

I'm looking for a version of Lubuntu that can actually work on less than 256MB of RAM. I don't like or let's say I can't use the Minimal version (I don't have wired connection, only wireless - my room is far from the router and I had to use range extender to get the signal - long story) so I'm looking for something with less services and stuff that will work on LOW RAM Machines.

However, I'll give that a try (alternate) and see the difference myself :)

Soon, will write my test results on my blog. Can't wait to do that :)
I've tested many systems like Xububuntu 11.04, Ubuntu 10.04, Mint 11 LXDE, Lubuntu 11.04, Lubuntu 11.10, Peppermint and CrunchBang. I managed to produce 3 different cases: Totally Frozen Machine (Swap OFF, RAM is fully used), Very Slow (Swap ON, RAM is fully used) and Slow or Normal (Swap ON, more than 256MB RAM was used).

The machine I'm using has the ability to use 32MB for the shared Video Memory up to 256MB. For some reason, the remaining is not 256MB but 242MB instead which make things even more interesting.

The alternate install iso will install Lubuntu, the same as the Live Desktop iso, but you do have the ability to just install a CLI system, then you can add only what you need to get something that will run on a low resource system. Truefully with all the command line programs available, you don't even need a gui, which will make the system seem to fly. :)

amjjawad
December 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
The alternate install iso will install Lubuntu, the same as the Live Desktop iso, but you do have the ability to just install a CLI system, then you can add only what you need to get something that will run on a low resource system. Truefully with all the command line programs available, you don't even need a gui, which will make the system seem to fly. :)

I played with that a year ago with Ubuntu 10.04 server then stopped for some reason. Now, I do need that. I have a very old machine and I'm very much willing to breath new life into it using Lubuntu. It has Linux Mint 9.

http://ubuntuforums.org/picture.php?albumid=2136&pictureid=7114

However, I need to figure out one important thing: How can I connect to the internet via Wireless Adapter? Again, I can't use the Wired Connection. I'm very far from the Modem and I don't have long cable. Even if I have, they will kick me out of the house if I'll use that :)

Edit:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614
The Full Story of how I installed Linux Mint 9 on that 90% dead machine :)

teh603
December 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I was looking for that email where Lubuntu Team was talking about that but I can't find it. Synaptic will be there, don't worry. Not only Synaptic, I hope Lubuntu Software Center will be ready too.
I still haven't been able to install anything successfully from the Software Center. Tried it in Maverick, didn't work. Tried the Kubuntu version in the Ocelot, still doesn't work. I'm starting to think the damn thing won't ever work.

amjjawad
December 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I still haven't been able to install anything successfully from the Software Center. Tried it in Maverick, didn't work. Tried the Kubuntu version in the Ocelot, still doesn't work. I'm starting to think the damn thing won't ever work.

I never use any Software Center. I use Terminal and sometimes Synaptic, that's all. However, I have to help my team (Lubuntu) so I had to do some tests on LSC (Lubuntu Software Center) which came too late thus the developers did not include it on 11.10.

teh603
December 15th, 2011, 02:46 AM
However, I need to figure out one important thing: How can I connect to the internet via Wireless Adapter? Again, I can't use the Wired Connection. I'm very far from the Modem and I don't have long cable. Even if I have, they will kick me out of the house if I'll use that :)
Tried using a USB dongle? Most vintage wifi cards are dicey at best; I've got a D-link one that's vintage to the Winbook, but it gives horrible kernel panics of I try to boot with it installed, because the driver was removed from the kernel way back around Hoary.

USB 3.x and 2.x devices are supposed to be 100% backwards- compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.2, right?

jerrylamos
December 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Tried using a USB dongle? Most vintage wifi cards are dicey at best; I've got a D-link one that's vintage to the Winbook, but it gives horrible kernel panics of I try to boot with it installed, because the driver was removed from the kernel way back around Hoary.

USB 3.x and 2.x devices are supposed to be 100% backwards- compatible with USB 1.0 and 1.2, right?

Ubuntu stopped supporting Thinkpad T40 wireless with Narwhal. The built in wireless is a Cisco I think. I'm on a $248 netbook, ubuntu fully supported, so I don't have the specifics at hand. Launchpad bug, developers no interest. Wireless on the T40 runs just fine with Lucid and Meerkat so in a pinch I could download a more recent .iso, however not the updates. I do zsync milestone .iso's and can send them via home network to the ubuntu unsupported Thinkpads.

I happened to have an ancient pc-card wireless around (remember those??) which had a Realtek wireless which ubuntu does support, even on an older Thinkpad R31. Lubuntu precise is O.K. on the R31. I don't care for Unity (pseudo tablet) on the T40 or the R31. The netbook does put up with Unity-xD with the annoying launchpad popping up overlaying my work all the time.

Jerry

amjjawad
December 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM

To be extra clear, I was referring to: HOW TO Connect to the Internet via Wireless Adapter (I do have both PCI and USB Wireless Adapters) while I'm CLI?

I have no issues with my two adapters to connect to the Internet. My only issue is, my router is way too far from the room where my machines are sitting :)

No idea so I can't confirm that :)

ronacc
December 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
have you tried using iwconfig ? see
man iwconfig for how to use it , you will need the info for your router .

amjjawad
December 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
have you tried using iwconfig ? see
man iwconfig for how to use it , you will need the info for your router .

No, I have not. Last time I was without GUI a year ago (Ubuntu 10.04 server) and since that time, I haven't tried. However, I'm trying to find some free time to breath new life into my ancient P2 machine.

nymark1
December 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Lubuntu with Unity desktop?

The 2 last times I have downloaded Lubuntu 12.04 daily build, and run it from a usb stick, it has booted into, what looks like a blue version of the Unity Desktop. Is this the future of Lubuntu?

amjjawad
December 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Lubuntu with Unity desktop?

The 2 last times I have downloaded Lubuntu 12.04 daily build, and run it from a usb stick, it has booted into, what looks like a blue version of the Unity Desktop. Is this the future of Lubuntu?

What does the "L" in Lubuntu stand for? answer is LXDE. LXDE is NOT Unity :)

You may see stuff like that specially with Alpha 1. With Beta 1 or 2, things will be much different. As for the final release, well, Lubuntu as we all used to see but much better this time :)

max07011972
December 24th, 2011, 05:01 PM
right now I'm using lubuntu 11.10 on my 4years old laptop with not to bad hardware,because bored by other distro's and not properly happy for last two editions of ubuntu(not as a distro)about cpu usage my processor fan was working often ,so it switched on the intention to downgrade to xubuntu or lubuntu.And I'm giving it a chance.I could say it is a fantastic distro ,because I can do everything I need not just surf the web ,but all the activities as a normal user.About the next edition I wish will grow-up strong and light as the best and why not soon also an ...lts:lolflag:

DDZ
December 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you to all developpers and contributors for this excellent distribution!

Here are my suggestions/observations :

Why do you plain to change the display manager putting LightDM instead of LXDM?
I would like Chromium replaced by Iron (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php) (based on the free Sourcecode "Chromium" - without any problems at privacy and security, more details by clicking the Chrome VS Iron link (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php))
What about adding LXMenuEditor (http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/)?
To run it with GTK2 theme : java -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKL ookAndFeel -jar /where/you/installed/it/LXMenuEditor.jar
What about including LXProxy and Lubuntu control center (https://launchpad.net/lubuntu-control-center)? I think adding to it :
Refresh panel (lxpanelctl restart)
PCManFM settings (pcmanfm --show-pref=1)
Menu editor (LXMenuEditor)
Hardware list (System Profiler & Benchmark)
Disk Utility (palimpsest)
Add/remove packages (Synaptic, Lubuntu software center when ready)
Software sources (gksudo software-properties-gtk)
icons will be very nice (the first and the second are already in OpenSuse LXDE Control Center (http://blog.lxde.org/?p=627)). I just wrote an email to the author.
The ability to minimize, maximize, tile... all windows at the same time -> Openbox developpers? Intregrating ctrlwm (http://gtk-apps.org/content/show.php/ctrlwm?content=114565)?

Thank you in advance.

DDZ
December 25th, 2011, 12:17 AM
The list of Apps that I'd like to see and have in Lubuntu 12.04 are:

Accessories

Application/Utility to Search for Files - Must have.
Clipboard Manager - Must have.

1) What about Catfish (http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/catfish_summary.html)?
2) What about Glippy (https://launchpad.net/glippy)?

Graphics
Not very important addition, just a matter of personal opinion so:

Shotwell

Everyone can simply install the above app so again, no big deal but IMHO, it would be so nice to have that by default. Shotwell takes 12MB RAM. Mint LXDE includes GIMP by default but it takes more than 35MB of RAM upon startup without even opening any image file. After all, such programs are NOT for low-specification machines. I'm just comparing here so IMHO, NO for GIMP.

I understand but which image app is as good as Gimp?

Internet:

Chromium VS Firefox still under discussion and testing. Both are what I use so it doesn't really matter to me but again, if anything will affect the overall performance, I'll vote NO for it. As far as I know, both Fedora 16 LXDE and Mint 11 LXDE use Firefox my default. It takes 50MB on Mint LXDE upon Startup with one tab. Chromium on Lubuntu 11.10 takes around 60MB with google.com as the only opened tab. I'll do some tests and after that will update my suggestion in here.

Chromium based web browser : one process per tab and per extention but Webkit engine is faster than Gecko one and Firefox become more and more bloatware (labyrinthine system).

Skype. Adding Skype is not straight forward. I've never seen any light distribution with Skype installed by default as of today but with Mint LXDE, Canonical Partner Repository is added by default and if anyone types on the Synaptic's Search Box, Skype will show up as the first choice. Just a thought because that will save some time for our users (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#How_to_install_Skype).

Skype is not a free software!

Office:

Many don't really like AbiWord and I never use it but as long as it's lightweight, then please keep it :) Users can always install their favorite.

I agree.

Sound and Video:

VLC instead of gnome-mplayer. Do you know upon startup VLC takes less than GNOME-MPlayer? beside VLC IMHO is much stronger.
Any possibility to replace Audacious with VLC? so one Application (VLC) for both Sound and Video?

Audacious can sound better for music thanks to its audio effects modules (Extra stereo, Crystalizer...) and it can be small for tiny display monitor thanks to Winamp classic interface.

System Tools:
The poorest list in the Menu is System Tools. I wish to see more options

Synaptic - KEEP IT PLEASE!

I agree. It allow reading and saving the installed packages list.

lisati
December 25th, 2011, 02:23 AM
1)
Skype is not a free software!

The last time I installed it, it was, only you had to pay to use some of its features.

DDZ
December 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM
The last time I installed it, it was, only you had to pay to use some of its features.
I didn't write freeware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware) but free software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software). It is different.

bushpilot0809
January 6th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Love Lubuntu for its non use of pulseaudio. As a lontime audiophile, Lubuntu is the distro of choice for making music with Audacious or MPD. Please do not go the pulseaudio route with version 12.

Exeleration-G
January 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Last night, I thought about this. When a user installs Skype, it doesn't work as 'out of the box' in Lubuntu as in Ubuntu, because of the missing Pulseaudio. But many (new) users probably don't know that this is the reason why Skype doesn't work. The same goes for when a user wants to replace Audacious with e.g. gmusicbrowser: gmusicbrowser won't work out of the box in Lubuntu because it needs gstreamer-ugly, which doesn't come installed by default in Lubuntu.

It would be nice if there was some 'Lubuntu Application Compatability Forum Thread', in which users could post how to get some applications running optimal in Lubuntu. This way, we could continue to provide users a lightweight system, while also keeping compatability with applications that aren't installed by default.

Oh, and please, try to get something working for the 'Windows 7 window snap', because it's a really handy feature. Thanks.

whatthefunk
January 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Love Lubuntu for its non use of pulseaudio. As a lontime audiophile, Lubuntu is the distro of choice for making music with Audacious or MPD. Please do not go the pulseaudio route with version 12.

You know you can delete pulseaudio in about ten seconds...

KBD47
January 8th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Pithos doesn't work with Lubuntu out of the box either. It needs either the alsa and/or the ugly gstreamer plug in to work. It really should come with these. Ubuntu works out of the box with Pithos as does Linux Mint. Even adding the Lubuntu restriced extras does not get Pithos working.
KBD47

Exeleration-G
January 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Pithos doesn't work with Lubuntu out of the box either. It needs either the alsa and/or the ugly gstreamer plug in to work. It really should come with these. Ubuntu works out of the box with Pithos as does Linux Mint. Even adding the Lubuntu restriced extras does not get Pithos working.
KBD47

That might just be it: it would be great if we could just install lubuntu-heavy-extras or something, which has been precompiled by the Lubuntu developers to contain pulseaudio, gstreamer-ugly, and other packages that some programs are dependent of.

anikol
January 12th, 2012, 07:32 AM
It would be nice to integrate an evdev patch for enabling right mouse button emulation for touch panels as described here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11600110&postcount=6).

Also may be acpid should be included in order to enable physical shutdown button work out of the box.

amjjawad
January 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Also may be acpid should be included in order to enable physical shutdown button work out of the box.

Are we talking about this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#I_want_to_bind_the_power-button_to_change_computer_state.2C_how_do_I_do_it. 3F

anikol
January 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Are we talking about this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#I_want_to_bind_the_power-button_to_change_computer_state.2C_how_do_I_do_it. 3F

Yes :oops:
May be it should be included as a standard feature.

But anyway thanks for sharing. I have been looking it for a while and finally resolved the problem through acpi.

amjjawad
January 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Yes :oops:
May be it should be included as a standard feature.

But anyway thanks for sharing. I have been looking it for a while and finally resolved the problem through acpi.

Julien, if I'm not mistaken said that he'll add that on Lubuntu 12.04 and it should be the default action :)

You are welcome. I'm at your service and at anyone's service whoever is interested in Lubuntu :)

amjjawad
January 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Congratulation to EVERYONE who contributed and supported LSC :)

Hi,

Just a quick good news, lubuntu-software-center was accepted in Ubuntu
repositories, it should be available in precise for everyone, in a few
hours / days.

Congratulation to all people who developed, tested and translated this
nice application :)

Regards,https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Julien Lavergne