PDA

View Full Version : In depht Ubuntu 11.10 review

paldepind
October 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I've written an in depth Ubuntu 11.10 review. If you're interested you can read it here (http://reviewinglinux.blogspot.com/2011/10/ubuntu-1110-review.html).

cespinal
October 27th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Did not like your roundup to be honest.... I am not a user of Unity/Gnome3 tho...

paldepind
October 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Did not like your roundup to be honest.... I am not a user of Unity/Gnome3 tho...
Do you think it's unfair? I've tried to be as reasonable as possible.

FormatSeize
October 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Do you think it's unfair? I've tried to be as reasonable as possible.

It's not that it's unfair. It's that it's way too reasonable. After reading it, I have no idea what you think about 11.10 and what I should think about it in comparison to reading any other distro review (which really could have been condensed).

I wouldn't expect a "ubuntu iz teh suckz", but there aren't really many things in the review that tell us what the experience is like. Most of the things mentioned, like the installer, included software, the global menu, and what happens when you push Alt + Tab are things that could be discovered just by installing and clicking around a bit. We knew that the sidebar thingy was painful ever since the release of 11.04.

Don't get me wrong, there were some interesting tidbits that the General Noob would not have known just by accident, such as changing from GDM to LightDM, but there is no real mention of how that could possibly affect the user, nor is there any reason to believe that you even care.

Your writing is good. The review was thorough, well organized, and well thought out. But as for the intended audience, the mark was missed.

For users wondering if they should try Ubuntu or GNU/Linux for the first time, there's no clear cut explanation of why now is or is not the time to make the jump.
For people that are not willing to upgrade just yet, there's no reason why they should or shouldn't upgrade.
For people that want to know how the personal experience of individual users went, there's a lot to be desired.
Again, good writing, and it's obvious that a lot of time, thought, and effort went into this.

Sef
October 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions because it is solely a link to another site.

KiwiNZ
October 27th, 2011, 09:09 PM
It is a good review, however your conclusion could have been handled a little differently.

For example, and forgive the liberty......

'There is a lot of nice things about Ubuntu. It still has a superior installer, a great Software Center and a reasonable selection of default applications. Unity however drags the experience down. It its cumbersome to use and compared to GNOME 3 it feels pointless and irrelevant.
However if you still wish to use this Distribution and do not like Unity there is an alternative. The GNOME Shell is easily installable from the Software Center (don't forget to change your theme to Adwaita too) . You have the benefits of both Worlds without the need to go to a whole new Distribution.

All in all ubuntu 11.10 is a balanced release but with some issues that need to be addressed.'

As you can see I have adjusted slightly your conclusion.

paldepind
October 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, there were some interesting tidbits that the General Noob would not have known just by accident, such as changing from GDM to LightDM, but there is no real mention of how that could possibly affect the user, nor is there any reason to believe that you even care.
I do mention that the new display manager is pretty and that's about the only change normal users will see.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I plan to write more reviews in the future and I find your critique to be fair and very helpful. I'm glad you think my writing is good. I'm not a native English speaker and I've done my best to not make it too obvious.

It is a good review, however your conclusion could have been handled a little differently.I agree! You're rewrite is definitely better. Thanks a lot!