PDA

View Full Version : Project Status

stlsaint
October 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I was wondering if i could get a status on the UCE project seeing as there have not been any releases in a long time. Is the project in need of volunteers or resources or what? Many have asked me about this so i wanted to get a open thread on it.

RevJack
October 28th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if the distro is dead. There haven't been any updates in quite a long time. Ubuntu is now at 11.10 and Ubuntu CE is still based on Ubuntu 9.0? It seems to me that it should have been upgraded to the new version of Ubuntu by now.

stlsaint
October 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Well i think a problem is that there is not actual "team" for support and development of UCE. The only dev i know of is DK. No other distro has only ONE developer! Ubuntu/Linux is a OS of community and we here in UCE should be more involved with this great project. In all reality we are just adding some packages and configuring a firewall so we should be able to have a strong group of developers helping primarily with packaging the updated apps and configuring DG! Please jereme and DK lets open this project up a bit!

jonathonblake
October 29th, 2011, 03:09 AM
It seems to me that it should have been upgraded to the new version of Ubuntu by now.

It suffers from having a single developer. A developer hit by problems when doing the right thing, and then a natural disaster, followed by a nuclear disaster.

For various reasons, a development team has not come forth. We have had individuals focus on specific items that are part of the distro. Those individuals have more or less kept the concept, and distro alive.

If Jereme is agrees to the idea, it seems that now would be a good time to discuss setting up a development team. Ideally, this will turn into something that three or so years from now can be seen as a true independent distro, much as Sabily is, rather than a simple meta-package, which is what Ichthux has become. A distro that scales from a Corporate church (5,000+ in attendance on Sunday morning) to a third grader, adequately serving all points between those two.

jonathon

stlsaint
October 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM
It suffers from having a single developer. A developer hit by problems when doing the right thing, and then a natural disaster, followed by a nuclear disaster.

For various reasons, a development team has not come forth. We have had individuals focus on specific items that are part of the distro. Those individuals have more or less kept the concept, and distro alive.

If Jereme is agrees to the idea, it seems that now would be a good time to discuss setting up a development team. Ideally, this will turn into something that three or so years from now can be seen as a true independent distro, much as Sabily is, rather than a simple meta-package, which is what Ichthux has become. A distro that scales from a Corporate church (5,000+ in attendance on Sunday morning) to a third grader, adequately serving all points between those two.

jonathon

I see my sentiment is felt abroad. Now how do we remedy this!:confused:

Archangelos
November 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM

jonathon

Yes. That is precisely what needs to happen. And it needs to begin happening this season.

So the question arises as what to do about the situation. I've read a lot from Jerome and even posted with him a few times. If I know him, then I know he wants this project to continue. That means it's a group effort. Time to stop thinking inside the box and get out of it. The days of Intrepid and Karmic are over. Those were good days. Ubuntu and CE were a lot of fun. But the needs of this project have expanded and we're further down the stream now. It's time for some serious rethinking and repackaging.

As for me, I'm tired of waiting. I'm going to be working on my own CE through this Fall and Winter. I'm open to ideas. But whatever happens, it's time to start either doing or imagining a world where CE is over.

Whatever anyone else does, though, CE isn't over for me. In fact, it's really just beginning. I'm about to start doing some serious exploration on what I want CE to do for me and what the needs of my church are in a serious platform geared toward serving the overall needs of the church. And that's a tall order.

(Thinking)