PDA

View Full Version : your suggestions right after completing the registration

ndejonge
October 26th, 2011, 11:47 PM
After logging into this forum for the very first time, immediately after completing the registration, the forum software gives the user some suggestions of pages to visit. This message only appears the very first time a new user visits this forum. However, most or even all of the suggested pages (for instance the "Profile") cannot be viewed by new users.

On a related note, it seems somewhat strange to me that 50 posts are required before users can change their privacy settings. Users with less than 50 posts may also be interested in changing their privacy settings.

Another thing that I first noticed a long time ago and still run into now and then is that some threads cannot be read by visitors who are not logged in. I find something on Google, go here, and are unable to read the thread. These are not just threads with outdated information.

lisati
October 27th, 2011, 12:21 AM
The 50-posts restriction is addressed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816

The requirement to log in to be able to view the archives, addressed elsewhere, is partly because many older threads contain outdated information that could cause confusion to new users when recent versions of Ubuntu require different solutions to similar problems.

ndejonge
October 27th, 2011, 01:00 AM
After logging into this forum for the very first time, immediately after completing the registration, the forum software gives the user some suggestions of pages to visit. This message only appears the very first time a new user visits this forum. However, most or even all of the suggested pages (for instance the "Profile") cannot be viewed by new users.

On a related note, it seems somewhat strange to me that 50 posts are required before users can change their privacy settings. Users with less than 50 posts may also be interested in changing their privacy settings.

The 50-posts restriction is addressed here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816

I don't think you actually read what I wrote. My remarks were not about the 50 post limit in itself. The post you link to explains the 50 post limit was set because of issues with profile spam. I was talking about two more specific things, namely: 1. your suggestions right after completing the registration, and 2. privacy settings. Neither of these things are related to profile spam.

Take a look at this image: http://i.imgur.com/syE8V.jpg
Mirror: http://s4.postimage.org/x65db9w8b/ubuntuforums.jpg

This is what it says: "Your registration is now complete. You may now proceed to edit your Profile in order to [...]"

That message is shown only to new users and these folks can't access any of the pages you link to.

Why do users need 50 posts to change their privacy settings.

Another thing that I first noticed a long time ago and still run into now and then is that some threads cannot be read by visitors who are not logged in. I find something on Google, go here, and are unable to read the thread. These are not just threads with outdated information.

The requirement to log in to be able to view the archives, addressed elsewhere, is partly because many older threads contain outdated information that could cause confusion to new users when recent versions of Ubuntu require different solutions to similar problems.

It's kind of annoying when I deliberately write "These are not just threads with outdated information." and that you then give the answer "[We do that] because many older threads contain outdated information." Why do you think I wrote that sentence? That's rhetorical.

lisati
October 27th, 2011, 04:32 AM
With that, thread closed.

Joeb454
October 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't normally reply to closed threads - but I'm making an exception in this instance, as I actually believe the OP has a valid point.

I've changed what the new user registration says, and it now reads as in the attached image.

As for your privacy concerns - I can take a look at what opions are available to new users in the control panel, but I'm not sure vBulletin offers such fine grain access to these things. If you're really that concerned and want to change something, PM me and I can edit it for you.