PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 64 bit compiling question

luishasbon
October 25th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Greetings respected comunity.

I'm new to 64 bit computing, I just installed ubuntu 10.04 64 bit edition, I was wondering how to compile with gcc or g++ 32 bit apps in ubuntu 64 bit, which package do I need for this? which libraries? If you have time, please, also tell me, the packages that appear at the universe using apt-get in the terminal, all of them are configured or compiled for 64 bit architecture? thank you.

Bachstelze
October 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM
You need at least gcc-multilib, plus 32-bit versions of the libraries your program uses, if any. gcc-multilib installs some, you will also find a lot of them in ia32-libs (but if you use an "exotic" library, you might have to install a 32-bit version of it manually).

How to compile depends on the build system your program uses. For simple programs, using the -m32 flag should be sufficient.

gcc -m32 -o foo foo.c

gnometorule
October 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Embarrassing as it is, I had assumed the standard gcc handles 64 bits, sort of by default flipping on the most modern system architecture. Do you happen to have a link that discusses this? It's not in the old gcc book, for all I know.

Bachstelze
October 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Embarrassing as it is, I had assumed the standard gcc handles 64 bits, sort of by default flipping on the most modern system architecture. Do you happen to have a link that discusses this? It's not in the old gcc book, for all I know.

Excuse me? On a 64-bit system, gcc does compile 64-bit code by default, that's why you have to pass the -m32 flag if you want 32-bit code...

gnometorule
October 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Could you instead add a link how to learn to read carefully and properly? :)

11jmb
October 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html