PDA

View Full Version : php mail() not working on Ubuntu 11.10, LAMP stack

1cookie
October 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM
hi

php mail() normally works out of the box for me. Especially with Ubuntu . Not at the moment it seems. :(

I'm using the following code:

<?php

// mail.php

$to = 'myemail@yahoo.com';
$subject = 'test subject';
$message = 'hello this is a test';
$headers = 'From: webmaster@example.com' . "\r\n" .
'Reply-To: webmaster@example.com';

if( mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers) ){

echo 'Mail was sent';
} else {
echo 'Couldn\'t send the mail';
Ive tried allsorts:

tried this:

http://www.blog.highub.com/javascript/javascript-core/make-ubuntu-php-localhost-mail-function-work/

and

http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/Configure_PHP_to_Use_a_Local_Mail_Server_for_Sendi ng_Mail.htm

I checked my error.log file:

sh: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found
[Mon Oct 24 17:48:48 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Mon Oct 24 17:49:07 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Oct 24 18:04:52 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Mon Oct 24 18:04:53 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
[Mon Oct 24 18:18:51 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Mon Oct 24 18:18:52 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations

So it appears that my config can't find sendmail. I'm no expert on this though?

The shell confirms:

andy@andy-R519-R719:/usr/sbin$ locate sendmail
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/camel-providers/libcamelsendmail.so
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/camel-providers/libcamelsendmail.urls
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/Mailer/sendmail.pm
andy@andy-R519-R719:/usr/sbin$

Emails aren't getting through!!

Can anyone offer some advice?

best

satanselbow
October 24th, 2011, 07:24 PM
install sendmail?

sudo install apt-get sendmail

It does not seem to be installed on 11.10 by default - it may have been previously ;)

1cookie
October 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM
install sendmail?

sudo install apt-get sendmailIt does not seem to be installed on 11.10 by default - it may have been previously ;)

Of course silly me. I was a little tired last night and I thought the PHP gods were conspiring against me. :)

Sendmail is now installed. I just ran the script and had a moment with Apache, it stopped working temporarily.

error.log:

[Tue Oct 25 14:44:00 2011] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Tue Oct 25 15:00:09 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations

OK the script now works but still no mail is sent??

satanselbow
October 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Does the timestamp on the SIGTERM match the time you send the mail? They may not be related as they were appearing in your logs previously... might be a dodgy extension? (incorrect version?)

Might be an idea to turn all php errors on as well to see if there is something else in the script not behaving as it should ;)

Have you tried a vanilla call to mail() ie

mail(valid@address.com, 'Test Subject', 'Test message')

Wrapping it in an 'if else' might shed some light too :D

lykwydchykyn
October 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
If sendmail is configured correctly, you should be able to send mail from the terminal, like so:

echo "test"|mail -s test myemail@myemail.yeah

That's the first place I'd start if php isn't sending mail. If that mail comes through, your issue is with php or your code.

If it doesn't, your issue is with the sendmail configuration.

1cookie
October 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Does the timestamp on the SIGTERM match the time you send the mail? They may not be related as they were appearing in your logs previously... might be a dodgy extension? (incorrect version?)

Might be an idea to turn all php errors on as well to see if there is something else in the script not behaving as it should ;)

Errors are ON. Nothing reported at runtime.

Have you tried a vanilla call to mail() ie

I modified my code to:

<?php
if( mail('myemail@yahoo.com', 'test subject', 'hello this is a test') ){

echo 'Mail was sent';
} else {
echo 'Couldn\'t send the mail';
}
Run it, and it prints 'Mail was sent'.

I dont think there's anything wrong with the script/code.

1cookie
October 25th, 2011, 07:35 PM
If sendmail is configured correctly, you should be able to send mail from the terminal, like so:

echo "test"|mail -s test myemail@myemail.yeah
That's the first place I'd start if php isn't sending mail. If that mail comes through, your issue is with php or your code.

If it doesn't, your issue is with the sendmail configuration.

I tried

andy@andy-R519-R719:~$ echo "test"|mail -s test myemail@yahoo.com

at the shell. Still no mail in my inbox. All this leads me to thinking theres a problem with Sendmail. I'm going to have a Google for Sendmail configurations/set up issues. Do you know your way around Sendmail?

Bachstelze
October 25th, 2011, 08:04 PM
If you are going to have to do manual configuration, you'll probably be better off using Postfix instead of Sendmail.

Mail can be tricky so more informatin about your environment would be helpful. Where is the machine located? At home or in a DC? If at home, behind a NAT? Static or dynamic IP?

lykwydchykyn
October 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM
If you are going to have to do manual configuration, you'll probably be better off using Postfix instead of Sendmail.

I'll second that; I always use postfix myself. It's much easier to configure and sendmail is pretty dated from what I understand.

1cookie
October 26th, 2011, 09:28 AM
hi

A couple of things:

1. I'm still getting a notice in error.log

[Wed Oct 26 08:41:57 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.20 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.3.6-13ubuntu3.2 with Suhosin-Patch configured -- resuming normal operations
This momentarily causes Apache to report 'Unable to Find localhost'. Upon re-loading the page all my files/directories come back! It's just a bit of a niggle.

2. With the Sendmail/Postfix business. My email account is through web mail. Looking at this https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/postfix.html tutorial on Postfix. I haven't got a 'Danny la ru' what my:

mail server hostname, and 192.168.0/24 with the actual network and class range of your mail server.
is?? :) Well I could have a stab at the first one. I'm using *******@yahoo.com, so I guess something along the lines of yahoo.com but I can't be sure with their servers?

Am i over complicating things here?

:)

1cookie
October 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Where is the machine located? At home or in a DC?

At home.

If at home, behind a NAT? Static or dynamic IP?
It's gonna be a dynamic IP me thinks. Virgin media broadband at a residential property.

jgvitella
September 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hi guys,
Did you manage to solve the issue? I am having exactly the same problem. I tried different suggestions from this thread, but still I do not get my localhost to send an email to an external email address.

Any help or update is welcome

/Thanks

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
i have used this (https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/phpmailer/) successfully
i was using ubuntu 10.04 at the time
here is the php script i used to send the email
https://github.com/GM-Script-Writer-62850/PHP-Scanner-Server/blob/master/email.php
i have used the mail function successfully but it took about 30min (or 10 min, i forget) to receive the email i was using verizon dsl at the time