PDA

View Full Version : Got an idea for a web application, need to start looking at frameworks

Fallen_Demon
October 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Hey all. I had an idea for a useful website and was looking around different technologies to build it with. I'm rather partial to Zend at the moment, and love jQuery and jQuery-ui in the browser, but I'm wondering whether maybe I can use this project to broaden my skillset a bit.

I've had a look around and discovered Ruby on Rails and django, but was just wondering if maybe there are other ones around that can really streamline the development process I use. Of course I'll be developing on a Linux-based stack, just have to figure out what other languages and the database I want to use. I have exactly 0 experience in Ruby, but I've done a fair amount of Python, PHP and Java so it would be nice to learn something new in one of those realms. With the database, I was thinking of moving off MySQL (the whole Oracle thing...) and onto either Postgres, one of the MySQL forks or maybe even Derby or a NoSQL database.

Any good suggestions for me research wise? Would like to do this right first time, and I think picking the right technology will help

simeon87
October 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Django sounds good, given your Python experience. It supports various databases and provides the framework you need for creating a web application.