PDA

View Full Version : DM1105 DVB-S card and Mythbuntu

barrymung
October 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a media system and have got hold of a rather nice XCube unit to which I plan to add a DVB-S card and install Mythbuntu.

Forgive the windows stuff that follows but it's part of the diagnostic process..

The card is a cheap one off ebay, well, I thought it was worth a punt and appears to be DM1105(?) based.

The XCube came with a trial of XP on it so thought I'd try it out. The DVB-S software installs fine. It tunes into Astra OK, recognises all the channels. It'll even switch to radio channels OK.

However, when I select a TV channel it crashes, each and every time! Have tried a completely different software package and the same thing happens. Radio OK but TV stations result in an instant crash.

I'm thinking the problems must be due to windows (DirectX?), not a hardware fault, as it tunes in radio stations OK and that everything will be fixed when I install Mythbuntu..

However, is this likely? WIll Mythbuntu show up the same problem? Is my logic correct, that this is likely an XP issue?

Does Mythbuntu actually work with DM1105 cards?

nickrout
October 22nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I can't help you with windows. The DM1105 appears to e a chipset rather than a model of make of card. It should work http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S_PCI_Cards. Why not run the computer with a live cd and see if ubuntu supports the card.

barrymung
October 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Hadn't thought of a live cd! Does Mythbuntu run as a live CD (I know standard ubuntu will)?

Yes, the DM1105 is the chipset; it's a generic unbranded card that I have bought. I know there's a risk with it being so cheap I though I'd give it a go.

nickrout
October 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
yes it works as a live cd. You won't be able to run the backend, but you can tell if the card is detected and is working.