PDA

View Full Version : What is so innovative about Apple?

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Everybody says that Apple is innovative but, I don't see it. They basically have 4 products computers, tablets,phones and mp3 players. They didn't create the first mp3 player just the first decent one. They didn't create tablets they just made the first honest attempt at putting a tablet orientated os on a tablet instead of just slapping a desktop os on it. And they already had the os from their phones. A few tweaks of the os and a bigger screen and they had the ipad os. So what is so innovative about taking existing products and just polishing them?

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Everybody says that Apple is innovative but, I don't see it. They basically have 4 products computers, tablets,phones and mp3 players. They didn't create the first mp3 player just the first decent one. They didn't create tablets they just made the first honest attempt at putting a tablet orientated os on a tablet instead of just slapping a desktop os on it. And they already had the os from their phones. A few tweaks of the os and a bigger screen and they had the ipad os. So what is so innovative about taking existing products and just polishing them?

innovation is from the latin inovatus which means to renew or change, and so by definition you answered your own question ;-)

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
They took the last D out of PADD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PADD#PADD), spelled it in lower case letters, put an i in front of it, and manufactured a large cellular phone that cannot make phone calls.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
innovation is from the latin inovatus which means to renew or change, and so by definition you answered your own question ;-)

i look at apple like peanut butter and chocolate. they didn't invent either they just combined the two.

haqking
They took the last D out of PADD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PADD#PADD), spelled it in lower case letters, put an i in front of it, and manufactured a large cellular phone that cannot make phone calls.

:lolflag:

ubupirate

And then overpriced the living daylights out of it.

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
i look at apple like peanut butter and chocolate. they didn't invent either they just combined the two.

renew or change is the definition of innovation, you dont need to invent anything, and you already stated how they only changed this that and the other so therefore proving innovation ;-)

Elfy
October 22nd, 2011, 06:30 PM
Let's have another Apple thread - must be time to move on from Unity.

Moved to recurring

del_diablo
October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM

Well, if nobody combined peanuts and chocolte we would not have that.
Hence: Innovation.

As for Apple: Nobody sat down and made the iPad before them.
The iPod was a bit more questionable, basically it just looked really smooth and was among the first ones with such huge storage space.
The Macbook Air on the other hand is a good example of "who else is offering this?", because they don't. Well they do, but at a lot higher prices. Except those new ultrabooks with their inferior touchpads and questionable build quality, which may manage to get on equal ground once the CEOs of the companies reallize that there are almost there.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Well, if nobody combined peanuts and chocolte we would not have that.
Hence: Innovation.

As for Apple: Nobody sat down and made the iPad before them.
The iPod was a bit more questionable, basically it just looked really smooth and was among the first ones with such huge storage space.
The Macbook Air on the other hand is a good example of "who else is offering this?", because they don't. Well they do, but at a lot higher prices. Except those new ultrabooks with their inferior touchpads and questionable build quality, which may manage to get on equal ground once the CEOs of the companies reallize that there are almost there.
No but tablets already existed. They just had windows on them which wasn't optimized as a touchscreen os. Apple already had a touchscreen os they just decided to blow it up. Not innovative. As far as the macbook air it's a great product but not innovative. Just a smaller more powerful laptop. This is not innovative just the trend in technology.

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
No but tablets already existed. They just had windows on them which wasn't optimized as a touchscreen os. Apple already had a touchscreen os they just decided to blow it up. Not innovative. As far as the macbook air it's a great product but not innovative. Just a smaller more powerful laptop. This is not innovative just the trend in technology.

you keep missing the point of the definition of innovative or innovation, as i said already it means to renew or change not invent.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
you keep missing the point of the definition of innovative or innovation, as i said already it means to renew or change not invent.

by your definition then if a car company used a different brand of tires next year and called it a new version that would technically be innovation.

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
by your definition then if a car company used a different brand of tires next year and called it a new version that would technically be innovation.

it is not my definition

Did apple change and renew things, or introduce something new over an old ? Yes so = innovation.

mamamia88
October 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
it is not my definition

Did apple change and renew things, or introduce something new over an old ? Yes so = innovation.

we'll have to agree to disagree over the definition of innovation. by that definition almost anything could be considered innovation making the word almost meaningless. yes apple did basically refresh certain products and make them popular. so by that definition of innovation you are correct.

haqking
October 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
we'll have to agree to disagree over the definition of innovation. by that definition almost anything could be considered innovation making the word almost meaningless. yes apple did basically refresh certain products and make them popular. so by that definition of innovation you are correct.

Well i personally use dictionaries to get my definitions but feel free to make up your own.

you can contact Oxford dictionaries to make changes here http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/contactus/contact-us

KiwiNZ
October 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
This thread is already circling the drain. Lets iPlug it.

Now that's innovation