PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.10 Mouse Cursor only works in Firefox

slayner117
October 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have already downloaded and extracted the Cursor Theme into my icons folder, and the Icon *will work, however only in Firefox. Outside of that, IE: desktop folders etc, I am back to the simple white cursor. Please help me out here, thank you in advance.

slayner117
October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
bump

slayner117
October 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
buuuump

Silent Warrior
October 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of the bulletin board: It's not an instant messenger, nor is it real time IRC.

As for your question, have you tried logging out and back in, or rebooted? (I think the terminology is 'update icon cache', or summat. You could do that instead, if you find out how. I've never gone looking, myself.) Also, what desktop environment are you using? GNOME and Unity (XFCE, LXDE?) use settings from one place, KDE from another. Since, I believe, Firefox is a GTK+ application, changing cursor settings native to KDE will do bugger all for Firefox (and other GTK+ things).

slayner117
October 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sorry about that, Anyway I am using Unity Gnome I believe. The cursor is made for the version I am using. And yes, I have tried rebooting.

Silent Warrior
October 23rd, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hey, now I notice that it does this for me as well! [CONFIRMED, then]

That is a bit strange... Maybe... the 'proper' setting is in gnome-tweak-tool, but the desktop/Nautilus (file manager) read their cursor setting from somewhere else, like GConf, due to modifications? Older Gnome 2 preferences? Doesn't sound right, but that's the only theory I have. My efforts at finding a configuration entry for this have turned up nothing at all.

velcom
February 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM
same here!
Ubuntu 12.04
cursor theme only works within firefox

sffvba[e0rt
February 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I just got a fix for this an hour ago while changing my mouse cursor theme - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-system-wide-cursor-theme.html

Cheers

joetait
February 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I just got a fix for this an hour ago while changing my mouse cursor theme - http://www.ubuntugeek.com/reset-system-wide-cursor-theme.html

Cheers

That does solve it on Unity, but not on Gnome for some reason :(
Oh well, a small price

Dennis N
February 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM
That does solve it on Unity, but not on Gnome for some reason :(
Oh well, a small price

After you set the Unity Mouse cursor, you need to set the Gnome Mouse cursor with Gnome Tweak (Advanced Settings) to be the same. It will change instantly. I think Ubuntu Tweak will do it also.

joetait
February 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
After you set the Unity Mouse cursor, you need to set the Gnome Mouse cursor with Gnome Tweak (Advanced Settings) to be the same. It will change instantly. I think Ubuntu Tweak will do it also.

I just realised that it did work, but only after a reboot. Also, what is Ubuntu tweak as opposed to Gnome tweak - I can only find the latter?

Dennis N
February 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I just realised that it did work, but only after a reboot. Also, what is Ubuntu tweak as opposed to Gnome tweak - I can only find the latter?

Here is a story that explains a bit about it:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/new-version-of-ubuntu-tweak-released/

I would install from Ubuntu Tweak Stable PPA so you get updates afterwards. There is a link on that page.

joetait
February 7th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Looks really good, thanks very much :)

laserator
April 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
It does that on mine too. Except its not just firefox its any application, but wont show in the normal desktop. I have unity gnome.

cottfcfan
April 4th, 2012, 01:29 PM
What I always have to do is edit the file usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.

sudo gedit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme
And change the line inherits= to the name of your cursor. eg
inherits=Ecliz
which is mine. Be careful it has to be exact & is case sensitive.
Once done save the file, exit, then logout/in.
Should be sorted.

linkingeek
May 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
For all users working on gnome 3 remove compiz which will eventually also remove unity, otherwise you will see only a black cursor

cottfcfan
May 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
For all users working on gnome 3 remove compiz which will eventually also remove unity, otherwise you will see only a black cursor

Not sure that is the answer??
Ive used custom Cursors in 11.10 & now 12.04 with no problem.

ClyN3il
February 1st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Oh for the love of god, is this still not fixed? :evil::evil::evil: