when i make a program like this..

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "blah blah blah" << endl;
return 0;
}

and i compile it..it gives me this executable file on the desktop, how do i make it to where when i double click it, my text pops up in the terminal without having to go through in the terminal go to its location and type ./nameofthefile and in the compiled programs properties it IS set to executable soo i don't know why it wont open when i double click it..

lisati
October 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
There are multiple ways of doing this. One way is to copy the executable file to your Desktop folder.

crimscx
October 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM
real funny im serious, when i double click it wont open it can only be opened via terminal

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
You do realize that that code is something that outputs to stdout, which you can generally only get in terminal, right?

crimscx
October 22nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
you do realize if im asking a question like this im obviously new to c++ so can you try to explain a little better please, sorry for being rude but dang. i hate useless comments

lisati
October 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
It sounds like you want to learn about developing a user interface. Are you new to programming?

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sounds to me like more of a desktop management issue than a coding one. You can create a launcher, right?

crimscx
October 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
user interface to show my text would be very nice and i thought my compiled file was "the launcher"

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
user interface to show my text would be very nice and i thought my compiled file was "the launcher"

Interesting. No, there's this separation between applications and their launcher elements in all graphical user interfaces since the advent of window managers.

crimscx
October 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
k i guess how do i create a launcher?

gsmanners
October 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
That depends. What type of desktop are you using?

EDIT: In case you're using Xfce or some other standards-compliant desktop, you can simply create a .desktop file for your app and put that into your ~/Desktop folder. Here's an example:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Blah
Comment=
Exec=/home/gsmanners/bin/blah
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=true

The above creates an icon called "Blah" on the desktop to run an app in my bin folder called "blah."

Here's the source for blah:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello, world!\n";
string s;
cin >> s;
}

If you run this, you get terminal output and you'll need to hit Ctrl-C to exit. :D

See how easy that is?