PDA

View Full Version : File extension association

dino99
October 21st, 2011, 04:52 PM
Wonder where/how to set exe file be associated with wine. When i open the "open with" dialog box , wine which is installed is not listed there, and searching for it also fails; worst it propose to remove wine1.3 to install wine1.2 :(

mc4man
October 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Then just put it in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list under -

[Default Applications]
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop

If you're on wine-1.3 then I'd just let it use wine.desktop (Wine Windows Program Loader), which doesn't use the cautious-launcher like wine-1.2 does.
(unless you want the c-l involved for some reason

seeker5528
October 21st, 2011, 09:14 PM
Wonder where/how to set exe file be associated with wine. When i open the "open with" dialog box , wine which is installed is not listed there, and searching for it also fails; worst it propose to remove wine1.3 to install wine1.2 :(

Don't know if messing with mime stuff will get you what you want, before messing with it I would try:

sudo apt-get install binfmt-support

What mc4man suggests does seem like a likely suspect, if the binfmt-support thing doesn't work.

Later, Seeker

mc4man
October 22nd, 2011, 01:24 AM
binfmt-support should be installed as a dep of wine - maybe try re-installing

Here there is no issue - Wine Windows Program Loader shows up in the context menu with out any 'help'

The other thing to check - for the most part -
.desktop's can fail to show in the context menu's 'list' if the Exec= line doesn't end with a <space>%<letter> (mainly properties list iirc

Most commonly that would be %f or %U
wine.desktop should end with %f

What usually works if all else doesn't is to copy a .desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/ & log out/in

dino99
October 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
The other thing to check - for the most part -
.desktop's can fail to show in the context menu's 'list' if the Exec= line doesn't end with a <space>%<letter> (mainly properties list iirc

Most commonly that would be %f or %U
wine.desktop should end with %f

Thanks for your answer, but i dont find those Exec= %f ; where are they ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/879500

mc4man
October 22nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your answer, but i dont find those Exec= %f ; where are they ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/879500
Dino - sorry, been a bit since I needed to adjust this - The deal with the %<whatever> only affects the properties of a filetype, not the open with

( 2 examples of that would be gdebi & clementine. Both are seen on the r. click > open with, but not on the r. click > properties > open with list.
To fix either of them one would open the desktop & add to the Exec= line
Ex. gdebi
gksudo gedit /usr/share/applications/gdebi.desktop

and make the Exec= line to this
Exec=gdebi-gtk %f
}
So - adding wine.desktop to mimeapps.list didn't change anything?

dino99
October 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
So - adding wine.desktop to mimeapps.list didn't change anything?

Nope, is your install a fresh one ? Mine is a Oneiric dist-upgrade, and i'm thinking about a fresh install again, as nothing i've tried works.

mc4man
October 23rd, 2011, 06:52 AM
Nope, is your install a fresh one ? Mine is a Oneiric dist-upgrade, and i'm thinking about a fresh install again, as nothing i've tried works.

fresh release 11.10 updated plus unity from proposed, then switched to PP.
Wine (1.3) shows immediately in the context & properties menus (Wine window Program Loader