PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.10 took my picture during installation?

Black_Sector
October 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM
What exactly was happening during installation on my laptop? I saw myself in the webcam, then I saw it take a picture.

Is this something that is going to be stored somewhere, anywhere, on my computer if I dont choose to use it as my icon? Is this something that can be used to identify the person who installed the operating system if the laptop was discovered?

If that is the case, I find it a little worrying. I dont want my face attached to my computer when I use it, along with my IP address. That bothers me. Even if you had to have physical access to the computer to find it, I still dont care for it. It didnt even ask me if I wanted my picture taken.

Would somebody please explain this to me?

Legendary_Bibo
October 20th, 2011, 07:23 AM
What exactly was happening during installation on my laptop? I saw myself in the webcam, then I saw it take a picture.

Is this something that is going to be stored somewhere, anywhere, on my computer if I dont choose to use it as my icon? Is this something that can be used to identify the person who installed the operating system if the laptop was discovered?

If that is the case, I find it a little worrying. I dont want my face attached to my computer when I use it, along with my IP address. That bothers me. Even if you had to have physical access to the computer to find it, I still dont care for it. It didnt even ask me if I wanted my picture taken.

It doesn't take your picture unless you clicked on it. It's probably saved in the same spot where your user icon is stored which I think is in your home folder called .icon

Stop being paranoid.

bkerensa
October 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Ideally the only reason it did it is if you click it to take the pic otherwise it just shows uses your webcam.... Anyways this feature is useless since lightdm does not support lock screen or login screen avatars so I'm unsure why it was added to 11.10

Mr. Picklesworth
October 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah, you'd have had to tell it to do that. At any rate, your profile picture is stored in one place: /var/lib/AccountsService. (It used to be ~/.face. That changed in 11.10).

wolfen69
October 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM

It only does that if you click the Take Photo button. And the pic is only used as an "avatar" for your account. There is no conspiracy here. I didn't take the photo because I'm too damn ugly and didn't want to ruin a perfect install.

Black_Sector
October 20th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Im glad to hear it.

However, in todays age I think a degree of paranoia is quite reasonable. Just the crap you hear on TV alone, about how they can listen in on your cell phone even when its supposed to be "off" is enough to make people a little cynical towards both government and corporations. The extra security, increased difficulty of being spied on, is a big part of why I chose Linux over Windows.

I dont THINK I pressed any button, but I am glad to know that I can avoid this feature if I dont click on it.

Also, thanks for telling me where it would be stored.

Legendary_Bibo
October 20th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Im glad to hear it.

However, in todays age I think a degree of paranoia is quite reasonable. Just the crap you hear on TV alone, about how they can listen in on your cell phone even when its supposed to be "off" is enough to make people a little cynical towards both government and corporations. The extra security, increased difficulty of being spied on, is a big part of why I chose Linux over Windows.

I dont THINK I pressed any button, but I am glad to know that I can avoid this feature if I dont click on it.

Also, thanks for telling me where it would be stored.

Really? All the local news casters here just go on about what their friends sent them on facebook, or Twitter.

Paqman
October 20th, 2011, 08:09 AM
they can listen in on your cell phone even when its supposed to be "off"

You can get around this by removing the SIM card and swallowing it. Fight the power!

KiwiNZ
October 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I think we have given this enough air, and we don't know who is reading this.