PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have a real sudo session?

biffta
October 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Is there a way that after having entered my sudo password once, I am authorised for all tasks requiring elevated privileges? I've searched quite a bit on this subject and haven't found anything that solves my particular problem.

example:

I open a terminal and run (and successfully authenticate)

sudo visudo
I then open another terminal and run

sudo visudo
where I am again prompted for the password. This is the same for graphical prompts as well, e.g. you install some software from the software centre close it, then realise you need something else. I'd like to at this point not have to re-enter the password provided it's within a certain timeframe.

I understand this would make my system less secure but given the environment my computer sits in, I believe the benefits would be worthwhile.

From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve this with a sudo setting. The closest I came was to set NOPASSWD in the sudoers file which is a) not desirable and b) does not apply to graphical sudo actions.

Perhaps there is some kind of keyring tool that might help me achieve this?

Much love!

Dangertux
October 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Though it is not recommended the following command will get you to a root shell.

sudo -i

Or

sudo su -

biffta
October 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM
sudo -i

Or

sudo su -

Running either of these will not make any difference if you open another shell or try to run a graphical program requiring elevated privileges.

snowpine
October 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Correct; this is a built-in security feature at the heart of Linux.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

biffta
October 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Correct; this is a built-in security feature at the heart of Linux.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486138
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Yeah had a feeling I was ******* in the wind but wanted to double check. Danke!

The Cog
October 19th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I often open a terminal with sudo -i to do admin work, and occasionally then run gui applications from it, e.g. synaptic & or thunar &

biffta
October 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I often open a terminal with sudo -i to do admin work, and occasionally then run gui applications from it, e.g. synaptic & or thunar &

Yeah not a bad idea, I'll try remember it next time! Cheers.

bodhi.zazen
October 20th, 2011, 02:30 AM

for graphical applications you *should* use gksu (or kdesudo).

For some additional information on sudo see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

dodo3773
October 20th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Just install terminator terminal. Then you can launch that as sudo/root and just keep splitting it. Each new split will still have root permissions.

The Cog
October 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
for graphical applications you *should* use gksu (or kdesudo).

For some additional information on sudo see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#Graphical_sudo

If I'm launching a root graphical app directly from my account, I use gksu.

But I almost never do that - I generally use sudo -i from a terminal, and then if I happen to want a root graphical app, I launch it from there. I know it's probably not the way most people work, but I find that when I'm doing admin work, it's almost always a terminal I want rather than a GUI. The exception is if I want to do more than a one-or-two line file edit - I'm not that hot on vi.

Do you think there's a problem with launching apps from a "sudo -i"'d terminal?

I can't think why there should be, but I did get caught out by a failure to log in (X crashing) earlier this week because of a root owned .Xauthority in my home directory. I haven't worked out what I did to deserve that yet. I know it would have completely stumped a newbie - it had me perplexed for a few minutes.

biffta
October 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Seems to me like you just answered your own question ;-)

matt_symes
October 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi

Is there a way that after having entered my sudo password once, I am authorised for all tasks requiring elevated privileges? I've searched quite a bit on this subject and haven't found anything that solves my particular problem.

example:

I open a terminal and run (and successfully authenticate)

sudo visudoI then open another terminal and run

sudo visudowhere I am again prompted for the password.

Hi

You need to edit the sudoers file and use the tty_tickets option.

I do not recommend it but for your information. Open a terminal and type

sudo visudo Looks for the line that says (or something similar if you have changed it)

Defaults env_resetand add !tty_tickets so it becomes

Defaults env_reset, !tty_ticketsKind regards

The Cog
October 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Seems to me like you just answered your own question ;-)

Was that supposed to be a useful contribution?

When I use sudo -i, the resulting terminal as /root as the working directory, and my id is uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root). So I can't really see why there should be a problem launching any GUI app from this terminal. If you know of one, please don't keep it a secret - we are all here to learn.

nothingspecial
October 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
If I'm launching a root graphical app directly from my account, I use gksu.

Do you think there's a problem with launching apps from a "sudo -i"'d terminal?

I can't think why there should be, but I did get caught out by a failure to log in (X crashing) earlier this week because of a root owned .Xauthority in my home directory. I haven't worked out what I did to deserve that yet. I know it would have completely stumped a newbie - it had me perplexed for a few minutes.

That is exactly why you should use gksudo etc

Graphical apps sometimes write to config files in your home including .Xauthority. Launced with sudo this changes the owner of them to root.

gksudo prevents this.

biffta
October 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Was that supposed to be a useful contribution?

Ok sorry allow me to elaborate, I'm on my phone here so probably should have waited to use a PC to reply properly.

It seemed as though you were asking if launching gui apps from a sudo -i terminal was really all that bad. You then went on to say how you ended up with a root owned file in you home directory. This is the main reason why you should use gksu, as it sets the $HOME for the running process to the actual root user's home directory.

The Cog
October 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, I know this is why you should use gksudo or gksu. I suspect that the .Xauthority got there because I forgot myself and simply launched a gui app with sudo.

I would have gone on with that assumption except that Bhodi.Zazen explicitly picked up my comment about using sudo -i and then launching graphical apps from there. I really don't see how that could cause problems: see the -i option in man sudo. If it can cause problems, I would rather like to know how it know, such as how it knows which user's home directory to place the .Xauthority in - how does it know that it was me that launched it?

Also if this can cause problems, I need to know that I should't tell other users that I think it's OK to do it.

matt_symes
October 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Hi

matthew@matthew-Aspire-7540:~$ sudo -i
[sudo] password for matthew:
root@matthew-Aspire-7540:~# env
<snip>
USER=root
<snip>
SUDO_USER=matthew
SUDO_UID=1000
USERNAME=root
MAIL=/var/mail/root
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
PWD=/root
<snip>
HOME=/root
LOGNAME=root
LESSOPEN=| /usr/bin/lesspipe %s
SUDO_GID=1000
<snip>
XAUTHORITY=/home/matthew/.Xauthority
_=/usr/bin/env
root@matthew-Aspire-7540:~# Hence a root owned /home/<user>/.Xauthority can happen. Remember it's the user who logs onto X that requires the .Xauthority cookie. If you logged into a root X session then root would have its own .Xauthority cookie.

@OP. I did reply to your initial post BTW.

Kind regards

biffta
October 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Defaults env_reset, !tty_tickets

Hey matt, yeah regarding this. I will give this a try soon as I can, do you know if it works across gksu as well?

matt_symes
October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Hi

Hey matt, yeah regarding this. I will give this a try soon as I can, do you know if it works across gksu as well?

Yes i think it does. I am not 100% sure though. Almost everything i do that requires elevated privileges i do from the terminal or a console.

Kind regards

The Cog
October 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Yikes!
And there it is. Thank you, Matt.

I'll have to change my ways then.
I see that sudo su -l does the same thing.

bodhi.zazen
October 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
As others have explained it is all about the environmental variables.

When you run graphical applications you also have to be concerned with X security.

gksu and kdesudo will set the environmental and X variables properly.

The result is some configuration files in $HOME will potentially overwritten as you discovered.

As you say, it is easy to fix if you are experienced with Linux and you still have root access, but it can be difficult for new users.

So best to advise sudo -i and gksu and reference the wiki rootsudo page for additional information.

You might also be interested in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6188826&postcount=4) .